Angel fish experiance

Mike Mann

Hello guys its been a while since ive posted anything but i have a question/questions..... SO how many of you keep angel fish in your reef tanks and what kind do you keep? Im Very interested in getting some type of large angel fish for my reef tank i know its kind of a gamble just want to know what you all think about my chioce.

dwarf angels are hit or miss in a reef, i have had experience both ways with multiple species,,, lemon peel, flame, potter, pygmy,

regular angels are a definite hit, they will eat corals eventually...

Mike, what types of stuff do you have currently in your tank?

Most large angels I've had eventually picked on LPS, SPS, softies like xenia and zoas, but left ricordia and shrooms alone. They didn't always pick on them enough to kill them but there was enough corals in the tank to spread the damage around on. The angels smallreef listed above are safe choices for a reef and most can be kept in groups.

Geniacanthus species....swallow tail, lemarcks, and a few others are the only reef safe angels....

In my experience they are hit and miss too. I've had two different swallowtail pairs. Both times one of them ate corals. Angels are a gamble.

Mike, what types of stuff do you have currently in your tank?

Right now I have a salfin, hippo

Ornate wrasse, fox face, and two little chromis. In my 210gallon so not much fish at all. Most of my coral are softies and zoas but I have some plate one big stag horn and one big Leather. Thats it.

I was thinking about an emperor or queen angel. If not maybe a regal or annularus

Cherub aka pygmy angel - I have had two in the past and both went nowhere near my corals. I love them, but once they get used to the tank they act like they own every spot and have no respect for territories nor any fear of retribution for violating them. LOL. I would not put one in a small tank with shy fish or slow eating fish.

Edited by treesprite

I've had bi-color angels in several of my various reefs with no problems. My last big tank I had a Queen Angel with no problems. I bought him from another hobbyist who had him in a SPS tank with no problems. But as they say you never know.

Geniacanthus species....swallow tail, lemarcks, and a few others are the only reef safe angels....

must be you haven't had any of these in your tank. I thought the same thing, so I bought a trio of Lamarcks and they proceeded to nip the clams and LPS till I removed them.

Coral Beauty, Potters, and Atlantic Pygmy angels are the only types that have been compatible in my experience. Queen Angel in a friends' tank doesn't bother anything.

Edited by zygote2k

This thread is a good example of how fish species act differently in different tanks. What types have worked for some haven't worked for others.

I think the key to keeping a large angelfish or any nipping fish in a reef tank is to feed it several times a day. That would help to reduce nipping but feeding your fish that much might lead to water quality issues.

For me I would probably add an angelfish before I add a hippo as my experience has been for them to nip at and kill LPS more than any angelfish has.

Wow. I had no idea my hippo might be nipping.

I had a coral beauty in a 120 that nipped everything like mad. I am currently considering Genicanthus... but now maybe not.

Sharkey18, Jan has several of the Genicanthus types in her tank. Maybe she'll chime in on her experience with them or shot her a PM. My swallowtails were never seen nipping on anything.

I've had eibli, biclolor, blue line, and currently an african flameback angel. Never had any issues with any of them. As others have said, the key really is to keep up woth the feeding and also to keep your corals healthy. Angels are less likely to pick on them when they're healthy. Maybe copps will chime in, otherwise look up some articles by him. He's kept just about every angel imaginable in a reef tank and has to have at least 8-10 in his current tank.

I had mine with Anthias and was feeding 4-5 meals a day plus nori. Not small meals either. Just depends on the personality of the fish I guess.

I love my Nox Angel. It doesn't mess with any of my softies, zoas, LPS, etc. He doesn't even fight the tang for nori, he is just like a simple shadow who doesn't mess with anything.