Should I get a doser?

miggs76

I'm having to do 2 part dosing by hand daily for my 60 gallon tank. My Alk will drop about 7-8 ppm per day if I don't. I have never had to do this with my old tanks (BC14 and 5gallon pico) because the small amounts of coral in there were not using up very much calcium. I'm wondering if I just should buy a dosing pump to do the 2 part dosing? I don't mind doing it by hand each day but I assume the smaller amounts that are dosed throughout the day are better for the tank? Thanks in advance.

I would get the doser if you have a spot and money for it. Automation reduces the work and allows us to enjoy our tanks more. It will keep the tank more stable once you have it dialed in. You might want to does it during the night when the pH is normally lower.

I love the doser I bought for my 90G LPS tank.

The other options I considered (other then manual) were ...

Wet up a drip system with the valves from home depot (another post somewhere here about how to do it)

or get a very precise digital timer and an aqualifter type pump.

(in the long run, the doser is absolutely the easiest)

Best bet is the BRS dosers. Cheap and effective. But you still have to adjust and watch levels. Buy when they have big sale.

Dosers that deliver over 24 hours are the kinds that you want to get. This is the best way to avoid fluctuating water chemistry.

Nautilus 2 channel doser or Litermeter 3 are the types that I use.

Edited by zygote2k

Litremmeter 3 is the best I have used. calibrate it once on set up. Set the daily dose amount and its VERY precise. Whatever the daily dose amount it pumps the amount spread over 24 hours. Also very simple to control. I use the main module and a 2nd pump.

Magnesium you can hand dose once a week.

10-25-08035.jpg

Happy Reefing

David

davjbeas - where is the output for those? i don't see a sump

miggs76 - if i somehow take something off your original track, then just let me know to shut up :-) i bought 2 brs dosers, but didn't think about what i would use to control them inititially...just jumped on a sale at BRS. now i'm trying to figure out if i buy a controller (ca-ching) or go get a couple digitial timers (ehh). don't forget this decision in your planning

Matt,

My 75 galon tank is to the right of the picture. I have a 30 gallon tank for a sump in the stand. I use the white rodi type of tubing to deliver the 2 solutions from their pump to the sump. the output is about 4" above the water level in the sump. I use brackets to hold the white RODI tubing in place.

David

PS the tank above in the picture is only used as a DSB / fuge.

Edited by davjbeas

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to digest it all....sounds like it is a resounding "yes get a doser". Are they pretty easy to set up? Currently I"m dosing 12.5 ml of reef code A and B per day. Would the doser just spit out about a half ml per hour?

depending on what unit you get will depend on how much gets put out at one time. With the profilux, you can set how many times you want it to dose and how many ML per dose. that way you can have it perform say 8 dosings in a 24 hour period so that the levels stay consistent the whole time. Right now, mine is dosing 7 ML into the tank 6 times a day, or every 4 hours.

Edited by epleeds

• 1 year later...

lm3 and the medical dosers work similarly. Profilux adds another level of control that I think is simply not needed. Why deliver small amounts in intervals over the day when you can have a continuous drip?

lm3 and the medical dosers work similarly. Profilux adds another level of control that I think is simply not needed. Why deliver small amounts in intervals over the day when you can have a continuous drip?

I've always thought it was best to allow time between ALK and CA dosing. Wouldn't continuous dripping of both cause precip and waste if you're dosing to roughly the same location?

I've always thought it was best to allow time between ALK and CA dosing. Wouldn't continuous dripping of both cause precip and waste if you're dosing to roughly the same location?

If the drip is slow enough, then a few inches of spacing in a high flow area is sufficient and you can drip simultaneously.