How much time do you spend on your tank(s) a week?

Orion

Just curious how much time everyone spends working on their tank(s) each week? Not feeding, but changing water, cleaning, etc... Please list the size of your tank and time spent on each tank.

2 gal sw - 30min (mixing up salt and getting the temp/salinity right takes up most of the time)

29 gal fw - 30min. (Nothing too hard here, drain water once a week, replenish with fresh tap). This time increases to 1hr when I have to clean the filter.

According to my wife, TOO MUCH!

Honestly, I don't really know exactly but I would estimate about 15-30 looking around and about the tanks as a basic routine maintenance to make sure everything in working order.

1-2 hours every 2-4 week for mixing and water changes - 125G and 29G

125gallons-15 minutes a day, 1 hour every 2 weeks for a water change.

Well it depends. What is the minimal amount of time it takes to keep everything happy? About 30 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at night.

Add an hour on water change days.

How much time do I actually spend? Maybe 2 hours a day. Looking at stuff, dosing stuff, cleaning up stuff, researching stuff, etc.etc.

I just installed my first ATO so I will happily say 2 hours a week... but most importantly, those two hours are on the weekend and all at once. Now I can just come home from work during the week... feed the fish and watch in awe.

Wow I am surprised at some of the times for larger tanks! I would have thought the bigger the tank the more time it would involve.

For getting water prepared I am assuming most of you with larger tanks already have the water ready to go days in advance? Any tricks to getting the salinity just right every time?

I spend at least 15-20min just trying to get the salinity right.

I mix my water the night before. I do 15 gallons which I figured out is 8 cups of IO Reef Crystals to get 1.026. Throw in a pump and a heater overnight and change two tanks (14g bicube and 72g bowfront) in about 20-30 minutes.

Most of my time is spent diving for frags that my lawnmower knocked off.... Anyone have a tiny harpoon I can borrow?

Maybe an hour per week on the 360g and 180g, less for all the rest. Maybe less than 3 hours total. I don't think I should list all the tanks I have up right now...lol

Wow I am surprised at some of the times for larger tanks! I would have thought the bigger the tank the more time it would involve.

For getting water prepared I am assuming most of you with larger tanks already have the water ready to go days in advance? Any tricks to getting the salinity just right every time?

Use the recipe on the back of the salt container. 1/2 cup per gallon. Works every time. Mix it till it runs clear.

I spend about 15 minutes per tank a day so with 3 tanks 45 minutes a day plus about an additional 2 hours every 3 weeks for water changes.

When I had my big tanks up, I drilled pepsi barrels for float valves at just above the 50 gallon mark. I then adjusted the float valve height (with the little wing nut) so that I just poured in a 50g IO or RC bag of salt and it mixed it up to just the right salinity. I didn't even have to check to make sure (though I typically did).

5g Ecopico at school- 5 min (water change with pre portioned jugs and clean glass, everything else is automated)

11.4g at home- 30 min (My mom spends about 30 min a week on it for a water change and she does a really good job cleaning it)

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Use the recipe on the back of the salt container. 1/2 cup per gallon. Works every time. Mix it till it runs clear.

I tried that.. it seems that for 2 gallons it takes about 1 cup and +/- 2 tablespoons with Instant Ocean. Seems different every time.

I recently bought a new bag of IO and the salt was hard as if the bag wasn't sealed (it was though). Is this ok to use?

Wow, this is an interesting thread subject. I am too busy to spend a lot of time, so if feeding and viewing or poking around doesn't count, it's only about 10 minutes most days. I have only been doing water changes 30% about once a month, for a system volume of about 110g (75g DT+ sump). I'm testing more often than I used to do though, and if it looks like nitrate is going up, I do a water change. Before I was dosing Biodigest and VSV, I used to do 1/3 to 50% every freaking week plus about 2 g a day on top of that! If I forget or am too lazy for doing and skip some, the nitrate does go up because I tend to over-feed and then I have to do find time to do a water change.

I would like to know more about auto water changes or some way to make water changes easier/less time consuming.

About 15 minutes or less a week. I change some water 5 or 6 times a year and that takes about an hour.

This is not counting hatching brine shrimp which is another 5 minutes a day.