What a wet mess

Big Country

Have a 44g brute trash can on a brute dolly made for the trash can like you see janitors wheeling around, mixed up 36 gallons of saltwater in it yesterday. Went out shopping today and when I came back the brute was on the floor with all that water spilled all over my basement, went under the wall and into the carpeted area also. Dried all the tile floor with towels and turned on some fans, borrowed a steam vac to suck the water out of the carpet. My wife is seriously pissed.

Only thing that I can think happened is that one of the wheels buckled although they look fine, have been mixing 24g at a time in this can for quite some time with no problems but decided I wanted to do larger water changes. Guess I will take the wheels off and put the brute on the floor, need to mix up some more water.

that's suck! sorry to hear.

get one of these

http://www.northernt...CFYuZ4AodGSkAiA

I'd probably get more use out of a hoover steam vac, it seemed to do a good job of either sucking up the water from the carpet or turning it into steam. It took a little while but I got it dry enough that it wasn't pulling anything else out of the carpet and felt dry to walk on.

I figured that the dollies that brute sells for the can were made heavy duty enough, had never had a problem before but never had more than 28g of water in there before either. Not sure if I want to fill it up that full again. I took the wheels off and sat the can directly on the floor for now.

The steam vac has saved my carpets and marriage on several occasions. It's worth the money! I once knocked over and spilled a full can of purple PVC primer on the basement carpet. Luckily I had the steam vac which sucked it out perfectly.

I use the Brute dolly to move 25g of water back and forth over thresholds all day long. It's the worst part of my job. With as much use/abuse as I give it, the Brute and the dolly handle it easily. I've had stuck wheels, seized bearings, and even broken handles but I've never heard of one buckling under pressure or splitting at the seams.

CH- good move on using a steamer to pull up Purple Primer. That kind of spill usually results in magic colored rugs.

I mix water in a glass 40 hex which I keep on a heavy duty dolly that a handle, and I have no problem pulling it around between rooms even when full. Never have to worry about plastic splitting or the wheels collapsing. Paid about $20 for the dolly at Harbor Freight.

I use the Brute dolly to move 25g of water back and forth over thresholds all day long. It's the worst part of my job. With as much use/abuse as I give it, the Brute and the dolly handle it easily. I've had stuck wheels, seized bearings, and even broken handles but I've never heard of one buckling under pressure or splitting at the seams.

CH- good move on using a steamer to pull up Purple Primer. That kind of spill usually results in magic colored rugs.

Since the dolly and brute both seem fine I suspect that a strange gust of wind got thru a basement window I had open yesterday and hit that brute just right to tip the balance since it was very top heavy.

Wrap the brute with duct tape at midpoint... Like putting steel straps on a wood barrel.

That actually sounds like a great idea but don't think the wife will go for silver duct tape but she wouldn't mind black gorilla tape.

Sorry, I'm sure a lot of us have had to deal with big water spills. Losing a bunch of saltwater like this, especially when it gets under the wall and into a carpeted area (or worse, a wood floor that buckles), or if on an upper floor, seeping through to lower floors, destroying drywall along the way. It does sound like it must have just somehow tipped over.

for once, it didn't happen to me. :rolleyes: I had one go partially over once with a non brute can on a dolly. Spilled 10 or so gallons. I'm on a second wetdry vac, rusted the first out with saltwater spills.

I'd look closely at the padding underneath the carpet.

I'd be inclined to pull it and replace it since you will never get all the salt out of it.

Moisture will attract to it and keep having problems,

It's a cheap solution to a problem that will keep on giving.

btdt

I once was in the storage room looking at a brute can and it started leaking -- right in front of my eyes. It was a slow seam lead and I stared at it for about a minute because I could not believe it would have started just as I was looking at it. But sure enough. That was a stroke of luck. On the other hand, I've had a gfo cannister leak twice and didn't catch either one until much water covered much floor.