pizzaguy's new build (this one is the one) no more changing

pizzaguy

They make additives and supplements...that's what they test for to tell if you need what and how much...

correct. Also if you use their website you simply enter your results and it gives you a prescription for your tank. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more food for thought based solely on my personal experience's. I will never believe anyone that tells me nitrates are over rated. I've been battling nitrates for a long time for whatever reason that's beyond me. So for now, the only way for me to prevail is by doing a ton of huge water changes basically diluting the nitrates. I was going through 400 gallons of salt mix a month to keep them below 15 or so. In September I slacked off a little bit because I was getting burnt out on water changes and it was getting quit expensive. Well they creeped up to about 30. You could tell with certain corals they just were not happy. And I have probably 60 plus sps frags and mini colonies so I was starting to get motivated again. I did a 45 gallon change last week and 75 gallons yesterday morning. Nitrates at 10. What a huge difference within 24 hours from almost all my corals. I'm talking lps are huge, Zoas and palys bigger then I've ever seen them. And a lot of sps that was really starting to worry me now with full polyp extension. I do have a lot of browned sps, but almost all of it was bought that way. So now that nitrates are back in check hopefully I can start seeing a lot more growth, which I believe I will. Just wanted to share my personal experience and thoughts on nitrates

have you thought about all of the different carbon dosing options to bring down nitrates? like biopellets, vodka dosing, zeovit or any instead of huge water changes?

i really think that sps are the only ones affected by even minimal changes in nitrates...mine have gotten up to 50 in my tank, nonsps here, and my lps start to show signs of discomfort at that point but 15-30 and they are fine...even like a little bit...

Eric. Have you started exporting the settled detritus from your rocks and sandbed in your last water change? I'd consistently start doing that during the next few water changes and see where your numbers are at. I'd do enough of a water change to siphon as much of the detritus out as possible, which is probably much less than 50%. In between wc's, you can blow your rocks off and have the detritus overflow and settle in your filter sock and then clean them before they break down into NO3....Keep us informed!

I will definitely keep updating.

have you thought about all of the different carbon dosing options to bring down nitrates? like biopellets, vodka dosing, zeovit or any instead of huge water changes?

i really think that sps are the only ones affected by even minimal changes in nitrates...mine have gotten up to 50 in my tank, nonsps here, and my lps start to show signs of discomfort at that point but 15-30 and they are fine...even like a little bit...

Water changes is the cheapest and most effective route. Using the other methods will only lead to chasing various parameters, and doping for others.

I am still using 4. But I change and wash every 3 days. I introduced bio balls at 1/3 the dosage about a month ago. Gonna give it a little time to work before I change anything else other then 1000 gallons of water!! Lol

Don't wanna get to drastic and cause any unwanted outbreaks so I'm taking it slow.

I am still using 4. But I change and wash every 3 days. I introduced bio balls at 1/3 the dosage about a month ago. Gonna give it a little time to work before I change anything else other then 1000 gallons of water!! Lol

Bio balls or biopellets?

I am also considering a small hob fuge for the side of the sump if I can find one that fits. I literally have no pods. Used to be a ton but I see zero now.

Also, with the pellets, after the first few weeks your supposed to add more each week until at 12weeks,I believe, you get up to the 100%

And keeping the output towards the skimmer intake too... Everyone says it will take some time to really impact the nitrates...so I guess your on the right path...

I haven't read anything negative about going slower. I hope that's the case. I don't want any algae outbreaks or anything else for that matter.

did you seed the pellets in a 5g bucket? that helped alot when i started a while ago, contained the algea bloom in there...2 days later it was all cleared up and ready to online

I did not seed. Don't know a ton about them but I'm assuming by having zero phosphates I'm hoping to avoid any outbreaks. And I maintain a tremendous amount of flow in my tank which I'm assuming again deters cyano.

Ctenophore had a great write up a while back on how to start a reactor

basically took some MB7 or whatever bacteria product you prefer (bioptim etc) and dumped it into some tank water in a 5g bucket with a heater and pump for the reactor . let the reactor run in there till the water is cloudy (aka algea bloom) in a day or two after that the water will clear and then its ready to go online in the tank.....still supposed to start slow like you are wiht the 1/3 etc but it helps jump start the procedure of bacteria colonization in the pellets that you want...or thats my understanding and keeps the risk of a bloom lower once online.

I'm hoping the route I'm taking will work. Will know in another month or so I'm sure. Until then ill stick with water changes. I try to read on it every chance I get.

I like the seeding idea for future reference that's for sure.

I have been using a BioPellet reactor for about 6 months and they do work well. In the first 30-45 days you may see a bloom but after that crystal clear. Be very carful when adding more pellets try to remove most of the water as it can go foul fast. Also during power loss or turning off the flow can really hurt. In a power failure I have reactor turn off until I put it back on manually. On startup I simply put it in a external bucket to run it clean then put it back to work. Other than that pretty bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never had this issue, been running them about 3 years or so i think....dont fowl or anything...clump sometimes after a power outtage, but some shaking and all is broken up.

I feed my cs1 directly with the BP reactor.

Just a little update on this p.o.s. decorator crab. So far he has 23 Zoas to include kermits, wobegons, spidermans, frosty green bay packers, AMD hornets. Beware, this is by far the worst thing I have ever put in my tank!!

I have checked that. All is good there.

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed the FTS in the FTS thread, thanks for posting. Just going through your build, and it is RIDICULOUS the amount of stuff you have in here. No joke about no room for another frag plug...