pizzaguy's new build (this one is the one) no more changing

pizzaguy

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you keep finding room for more corals! Looking great!

I thunk I'm pretty much done. Room is at a premium. Now to sit back and watch a complete mess unwind!! Lol

I'm a great organizers. I took a bunch of easy stuff out and threw it in a bio cube. I have CCD. Compulsive coral disorder. No meds available.

I'm a great organizers. I took a bunch of easy stuff out and threw it in a bio cube. I have CCD. Compulsive coral disorder. No meds available.

lol, lookin good Eric!!

Wow, Eric! You weren't joking when you said you have a lot of corals. Your tank looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing it grown out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

im not a very patient person so i filled it. im sure ill regret it when everything starts hitting one another. lol

im not a very patient person so i filled it. im sure ill regret it when everything starts hitting one another. lol

Nah, just frag and make some of that money back. Are you dosing?

Yep all 3. I have one of those weird tanks that uses a lot of magnesium. I think I've finally got it dialed in now. Still battling nitrates a good bit. Just introduced a little bit of bio pellets and considering a hob refugium for the side of the sump if I can make it fit. I also recently added a kessil 350w. I was fine with jist the 2 radions but with so much sps that I swore I wouldn't have lol I had to fill in some dead spots so the kessil fit the bill so I didn't have to redo my light bracket. I will say that the radion and kessil are way different animals. Imho the kessil doeant even compare to the radions. It's decent for sure but with no controlability other then 2 dials it makes it a real pita compared to what I'm used to. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on a radion one of these days.

I'm right behind you on the dosing train. Although I convinced myself I'd never have to do it, I think I'm going to start with just the two, calc and alk. I've been using API testing kits, but I'm getting ready to splurge on some checkers and seachem tests. I plan on just using BRS dosers and hooking them to my Apex, did you end up getting a bubble mag or something all in one? I might consider a 2 part, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself I'll get into the groove of things. Problem with bio pellets if once you work them up, you've gotta work them down if you ever want to take them offline, I'm still trying to stay a nomad for when I move, and I imagine you're probably pretty rooted as opposed to me!

Isaac, i like testing water, and even though I havent used tons of test kits I have liked the experience with the red sea pro test kits I got from BRS. I did every test I had, Nitrate, phosphate, alk, Ca, Mg, wrote down the results, and then went to Marine Scene with some water and had them test it all. Even though I had my doubts about if I was using them correctly, they all came back spot on. I feel like those are pretty easy to interpret.

Also, what do you mean about ramping down biopellet use? Cant you just pull them offline and toss them in the trash or will your tank throw a fit?

Isaac, i like testing water, and even though I havent used tons of test kits I have liked the experience with the red sea pro test kits I got from BRS. I did every test I had, Nitrate, phosphate, alk, Ca, Mg, wrote down the results, and then went to Marine Scene with some water and had them test it all. Even though I had my doubts about if I was using them correctly, they all came back spot on. I feel like those are pretty easy to interpret.

Also, what do you mean about ramping down biopellet use? Cant you just pull them offline and toss them in the trash or will your tank throw a fit?

Thanks, Alan. I'll send a PM as to not clutter Eric's thread.

I got the bubble magus triple doser because of the magnesium.

Thanks, Alan. I'll send a PM as to not clutter Eric's thread.

Lol, sorry. I had just read yours and saw you post here and I thought I was posting on your thread. Eric, I recommend red sea pro test kits, heh.

Kh is 90ml, mag is 30ml, and calcium got pretty high so I've got it off right now waiting to see how much it uses in a week to dial it in. I'll keep you posted. I think since I've done so many water changes to keep nitrates down that's was caused my spike in calcium.

If you post what you keep the tank at, and what your salt water mixes at we can help you with dosing the mixing water to match tank water.  I wouldn't be so concerned with calc as long as it's between 400-440.  Alk is what needs to be spot on ime.  That can be controlled with adding diluted muriatic acid or dosing the alk portion of two part (depending what your #'s are at).

Alk try to keep around 8.0 calcium was over 500 target is 425 magnesium 1300 which is pretty stable now. Alk is pretty stable now that calcium has come down. I have never tested my mixed water. I use reef crystals

Alk try to keep around 8.0 calcium was over 500 target is 425 magnesium 1300 which is pretty stable now. Alk is pretty stable now that calcium has come down. I have never tested my mixed water. I use reef crystals

I use thrive aquatics and it works amazing! Simply enter where your tank is at and it tells you what to dose and how much. You even put what kind of salt and it figures out how much water to change and how much of the salt. Pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use thrive aquatics and it works amazing! Simply enter where your tank is at and it tells you what to dose and how much. You even put what kind of salt and it figures out how much water to change and how much of the salt. Pretty cool

This sounds really interesting! I'm sure I'm missing something silly - but can you clarify by what you mean when you say you "use thrive aquatics"? Do you mean their Water Lab kiosk things? I saw those on some youtube videos people who went to MACNA made - but I didn't think there were any in this area. Is there some software they sell or a web service they provide? I poked around their website and couldn't find anything that sounded like what you are describing.

Thanks! 

Pretty funny. I was at incredible corals over the weekend and they had a decorator crab there. I had never seen one before and really didn't know much about them. My wife had to have it. So I bought it. I assumed, how bad can it really be. It was covered in red sponge already. Well let me say this. If I can squeeze the life out of him with pinchers, I promise you I will. Within the first 24 hours he now has 19, that's right 19 designer zoa polyps stuck to his self. Pissed, oh yeah you have no idea. So beware, they know exactly which ones cost the most and go straight for them.