Coral Hind's 600g FOWLR

Coral Hind

I love that this ain't no "I'm thinking about" thread or even an "I'm doing" thread.

This is a "I gone done it" thread!!

Of course, it's awesome!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad, you should recognize some of the dry rocks in the pics I posted, those are from your storage unit clean out we did.

Last night I pumped in 100g of RO water that I had stored. It is going to take a week or more to fill this thing with water so that gives me some time to finish the plumbing and lighting.

I thought a couple of those pieces looked familiar...

"new" dry reef rock that's 10+ years old now ;)

Tank needs about 200 wrasse in it. :p

I was thinking something like that today while looking at the tank, how cool it would look to see a bunch of wrasses in there, of course not 200. The wrasses have to be big ones though so the groupers don't eat them.

Wow!!! Honestly none of this surprises me. If anyone can do this with such detail and make it look like a walk in the park it's you. You are amazing, as always. Bravo!!!!! following along...

Thanks for the nice words Jan.

Well it has been slow making water with a single 75 GPD unit that has been doing more like only 50 GPD lately. So yesterday I picked up another RO unit from Sharkey18 and I have it inline with my first unit's waste line so I am making more water and wasting less of it. Yesterday evening I moved over all the live rock, corals, and fish from the 150g rubbermaid tub. The new tank is just over half way filled now.

Today I hooked up my ACIII controller, drilled the 150g tub that was holding the livestock and will now be my sump, and plumbed in the new Reeflo Dart Hybrid pump. As soon as the tank clears up some more I'll post some pictures. The fish seem to really love the extra room, even though it is only half way filled.

Awesome build, the tank looks awesome!

If possible I would get a booster pump and then 'T' the water supply to each RO. I think the production would increase that way. I can only imagine how long it will take to mix 600 gallons.

Edited by jjk_reef00

I already have a booster pump feeding them since my house pressure is low. By feeding the second unit with the waste line from the first unit I am reducing the water being wasted.

Now why is your pressure low? Aren't you on city water there? If so, can you bump up the house regulator to get more pressure. I did that in Ashburn to deliver about 70 psi instead of the 40-45 psi that the builder had set.

Now why is your pressure low? Aren't you on city water there? If so, can you bump up the house regulator to get more pressure. I did that in Ashburn to deliver about 70 psi instead of the 40-45 psi that the builder had set.

Sorry to jump into this conversation but how do you bump up the pressure as I also have the same issue. My water pressure seems low. So just a 30 gl tank takes all day for me to fill it.

Ric

RicSG, Look near your main water valve and see if you have a pressure regulator. On it you will have a screw in the center you can adjust to raise the pressure. If you have an older house you probably do not have one.

Origami, My house was built with PB piping and most of it was replaced after a section failed in the kitchen and flooded the house. There is still some in the downstair's bath that I need to replace and that project starts after this tank is finished and I get the interlock installed. So I don't want to raise the house pressure until the last bit of PB is gone.

PB piping is scary, my old house had it (piece comign off the hot water heater ruptured and sprayed a GOOOOD portion of the downstairs, luckily we werent gone that long....replacing it woulda just been too much fun but man i still cant believe how prevalent that stuff was in the 80s.

if its grey stay away the insurance plumber told us haha.

Hope the filling is going faster than expected, really looking forward to seeing it all filled and making the trip out to take a swim some time......look at some of the recent pics of the georgia aquarium, they had some LARGE shoals of tangs etc that looked amazing, also had some very large wrasse's in the tank that goes overhead and is like a shoreline reef

RicSG, Look near your main water valve and see if you have a pressure regulator. On it you will have a screw in the center you can adjust to raise the pressure. If you have an older house you probably do not have one.

Origami, My house was built with PB piping and most of it was replaced after a section failed in the kitchen and flooded the house. There is still some in the downstair's bath that I need to replace and that project starts after this tank is finished and I get the interlock installed. So I don't want to raise the house pressure until the last bit of PB is gone.

\

I understand now. They were using the PB piping in, what, the late 70's to early 80's as I recall - especially in townhomes. In fact, I bumped into a guy at Lowe's the other day who was looking for fittings. He wasn't aware of the lawsuits and problems associated with that pipe. Hopefully that's the last of it in your home and it's relatively easy to get to (but it never really is, is it?).

Well I'm still making water and it is now 3/4 full. I have the 18 used Panarama Pro modules wired up but the fixture isn't permanantly mounted yet. Here is a picture from tonight but excuse the cords in the tank, once the sump is running all the heaters and powerheads will be removed.

3-4thfull.jpg

Not the best picture but I wanted to show the wave my vlamingii makes back and forth. No need to buy a wave maker here and it's powered by Nori.

Wavemaker.jpg

Wow David, it looks awesome, Your rock work is perfect!!

Thanks, I actually think the pics don't really show the caves and the depth of the aqua-scaping.

You need a giant hawkfish! Lol

I agree, you have one for me?