The Looking Glass

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a beast skimmer and swabbie action there. I enjoy your semi starting over, it's a reminder that what is to come will be better, even though what was there was amazing!

That's a beast skimmer and swabbie action there. I enjoy your semi starting over, it's a reminder that what is to come will be better, even though what was there was amazing!

Appreciate the kind words.  I often get asked why I rebooted the system.  When you stand on the train tracks and you see a light fast approaching, now is the time to move, not later.  I knew what the next 6 - 12 months had in-stored for me if I did not implement a fix quickly.  I was no longer in control and through an aggressive move; I needed to regain control.

• 1 month later...

Progressing through the algae phases.

Diatom Phase

Diatomphase_zpsdecdfeab.jpg

Tony - Are you using the Marineland stock canopy, or did you build one?  I believe you were hanging your MH reflectors before without a canopy?

System has been running for three months without fish and a few frags.  Enough SPS to keep my CaRX running at a low level.  This weekend, I will be moving over five Cirrhilabrus and officially beginning the SPS collection process in earnest.  

At the moment, I have not decided what other fish will be part of the community.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

System is now 90% stocked, added two Aussie Elegance and two Croceas.  I have a number of fish in quarantine, but not nearly the amount I wanted at this time.  Acquiring certain Cirrhilabrus have been more challenging that I expected.  SPS were collected from WAMAS members, Unique Corals, Reef Raft, Battle, Cherry Corals, WWC and Rocky Mountain.  Some areas of the reef is reserved for "must have" items, such as the Fox Flame.  The system is eight months old and I am excited on how it is progressing.  Below is an image I took yesterday to mark the beginning of the growth phase, which means I adjust the chemistry, lighting, and feeding regimen to encourage the corals to grow like weeds.  At some point, the next phase, color, will be implemented.  

Finally, I want to give the WAMAS officers and volunteers a standing ovation as they did an excellent job hosting MACNA.   

aquascape-1_zps6mdoyy2m.jpg

Cool! It's looking awesome, as usual. I look forward to watching 2.0 grow out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Thanks for asking.  The system is doing well.  There are a few updates that I will briefly discuss.

Compare to the image on post #464

new%20sump-5_zps8hbfwcxc.jpg

1.  Incorporated Aquaforest

Three months ago, I started using Aquaforest products to feed corals and manage nutrients.  Using Zeomix, Pro Bio S, NP Pro, AF Aminos, AF Vitamins, AF Energy, AF Build, AF Micro E, and AF Reef Salt.  Over the years I have learned that Manganese and Potassium are key elements in my system.    

2.  Corals 

The system is 98% stocked with SPS; need to acquire the JF Fox Flame and Firecracker.  Chalices are not doing very well; I think the 400w MH and strong flow does not provide optimal conditions.  Most likely will remove the chalices and bring in more Acan Lords.  The sampling of Acans I collected a few weeks ago are doing well.    

3.  Custom sump

I recently had a custom sump built (60x24x16) by Pure Reef and plan to install it in a couple weeks.  The craftsmanship and attention to detail is top notch, impressive.  Thanks to Marco for facilitating.  My sump design was inspired by the Royal Exclusiv Dreambox.  No filter socks as I am not a fan of removing the goodness from the reef.

new%20sump-1_zpsbbji57q8.jpg

new%20sump-2_zpscmbbk2hy.jpg

new%20sump-4_zpsgo5udnji.jpg

new%20sump-3_zpshjdzvqsq.jpg

4.  Fish collection

Not much traction in this area.  The Barbonius Anthias is the most recent addition.

5.  On the horizon

Install chiller, frag tank (have not committed), and install ReefBrite XHO.

Looking great, Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk