The Looking Glass

Are you still dosing KNO3? If so, what are you trying to keep your NO3 at? 2ppm to 5ppm? Are you using any additional PO4 remover or just letting the NO3/PO4 ratio balance each other out?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dosing 5 grams of KNO3 twice a week.  Keeping nitrates at 2 ppm.  Not using GFO or other type of phosphate removers.  

I did notice that if I let the nitrates drop to zero, phosphate will hold or slightly rise .01 ppm.  Next week, I am going to continue the protocol with one change.  Increase the carbon source (vodka) one ml, I am currently running 6 ml of vodka, while dosing KNO3.  I am beginning to believe the carbon and nitrate variables must be increased to correct the overall C:N:P ratio.  

Dosing 5 grams of KNO3 twice a week.  Keeping nitrates at 2 ppm.  Not using GFO or other type of phosphate removers.  

I did notice that if I let the nitrates drop to zero, phosphate will hold or slightly rise .01 ppm.  Next week, I am going to continue the protocol with one change.  Increase the carbon source (vodka) one ml, I am currently running 6 ml of vodka, while dosing KNO3.  I am beginning to believe the carbon and nitrate variables must be increased to correct the overall C:N:P ratio.  

Thanks, I didn't think you were running any other PO4 removers. I thought it would be defeating the purpose of dosing nitrate to lower phosphate if you did.

I need to dose 10 salifert capfuls (.5 mL or .5 grams) to get to from 0 to 2 ppm NO3. Once it returns down to 1ppm, I dose 3 capfuls (.15 mL) to get back up to 2ppm NO3. I will let that ride for a while and see what results I have. I was checking the ULR religiously but have stopped. Since I have algae, I will just use my eyes to determine any lowering of PO4.

Why are you carbon dosing too? Aren't you defeating the purpose of raising NO3 by KNO3 when carbon dosing works to lower it (PO4 too but NO3 reduction is more efficient, if I remember correctly)? Do you feel that somehow the chemistry works in concert? If so, can you explain? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Tony was kind enough to let me stop by recently to see his tank.

Amazing! I mean the d120's are dialed in NICE, he knows what he is doing and every coral looks beautiful and healthy! Just wanted to say thanks man and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

There is no comparison to any pictures and the actually colors in his tank. Period! I was so pissed I didnt bring the macro lens and camera!

• 1 month later...

February 2014 Update

Last month I replaced my Bubble Master 200 skimmer with a SRO 5000 external.  The 5000 is equipped with a neck extension to increase dwell and contact time.  Also, the automated neck cleaner (ANC) runs for 15 seconds every six hours.  Prior to implementing the ANC, I was cleaning the neck every two days, not fun.

Comparison photo

Skimmercomparison_zpsd45fb727.jpg

Operational.

Newskimmer1_zps743e4c37.jpg

Looks nicer for you! Does the neck space really help?

Yes. It increases volume (you can run the water level higher in the body) and hence contact time. You can also get a drier skimmate if desired by running the level a bit lower.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

awesome to finally see it land, tony. you doing anything with the extra space in the sump now?

Nothing planned.

Where u get the neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef Specialty, Premium Aquatics, and others carry the ANC.

Looks like a workhorse! How many days skimmate is that? 

If you look close you can see a black mark that indicates the one liter mark.  The cup holds just over two liters.  The picture shows two days worth of skimmate. 

What layout did you end up using on your D120s? I thought I had read a thread on RC where you posted the info, but can't seem to find it.

Beautiful tank BTW.

Very nice tony. Can't wait to see it

Posted Image

Note: The W4 (8000K) were changed to W2 (4500K).

What does the numbering scheme relate to on you layout? When I did mine there was no B3 option for example.

Thanks for the reply

B1 = 480 nm, B2 = 450nm, B3 = 440nm, V = 420nm, W2 = 4500k, W3 = 7500, and UV = 400nm

:ohmy: The secret is out!!!! Watch out Tony here I come. Is there anything that you would have done different in your layout.

:ohmy: The secret is out!!!! Watch out Tony here I come. Is there anything that you would have done different in your layout.

Not at all. As long as whites are not above 6500k, your fine.

From the omniverse.