Anyone else going to MACNA ?

dbartco

Doug - Want to put in a bid to host MACNA here in 2014? ;)

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/07/25/macna-2014-host/

I know the officers probably don't want think about this since it's tough to even get a FragFest organized. I've done national level events before and know the amount of work involved. But if we did, I'd pitch in (and I don't just mean bringing the beer or smaller). I'd be willing to lead up one of the committees/groups of volunteers.

Edited by DaveS

I know the officers probably don't want think about this since it's tough to even get a FragFest organized. I've done national level events before and know the amount of work involved. But if we did, I'd pitch in (and I don't just mean bringing the beer or smaller). I'd be willing to lead up one of the committees/groups of volunteers.

We definitely discuss it from time to time. I'm not sure it's been long enough since we last hosted for everyone to forget how much work it was biggrin.gif

I haven't any idea of how much organizing it took last time we hosted (2005), but I know it was quite a lot of effort. It would have to go well beyond the officers making it happen, and it would entail a sustained commitment. That's not always easy around here. The benefits (to members and to the hobby) of pulling one off locally are huge, though.

If you guys are serious about putting a committee together I am willing to help out. - Marco.

I do not know how large the space needs to be, but I know people in the hotel industry and can get good pricing on event space / rooms.

I might go.....I may be in Texas on business around then.....MACNA is awesome for people who haven't been to one and they are even better when you don't have to travel :biggrin:

Darren

Thought about hosting again many times. XXX would be fun just for the name, but it may happen before then. Would be cool to have some pull at the National Aquarium. :ph34r: Hmmm, who do we know?

DC is a union district, one of the reasons we did not do it in DC before. But documentation on how to host MACNA's has improved each year since 2005, so knowing how to deal with those issues may be better. Vendors have a real hard time with unions.

Need about 2 years to successfully plan it properly. One to work the proposal, devliver just before MACNA, win it, attend the curent macna and sell the next years.

Hey Byron, look at this year's speaker! Cousteau!

The national aquarium is in the DoC building I believe? I have never been in that aquarium, but go down to federal triangle a decent amount (working for commerce and all). Really should stop in there sometime. Maybe I could smooth talk someone in there...

Also, I used to work at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Admin doing Grants. Maybe we could reach out to one of the Program Offices there? Many of them have a lot to do with coral reef restoration, fisheries, etc...

Baltimore would be much better than DC in the cost department I bet...

Edited by BowieReefer84

Thought about hosting again many times. XXX would be fun just for the name, but it may happen before then. Would be cool to have some pull at the National Aquarium. :ph34r: Hmmm, who do we know?

DC is a union district, one of the reasons we did not do it in DC before. But documentation on how to host MACNA's has improved each year since 2005, so knowing how to deal with those issues may be better. Vendors have a real hard time with unions.

Need about 2 years to successfully plan it properly. One to work the proposal, devliver just before MACNA, win it, attend the curent macna and sell the next years.

Hey Byron, look at this year's speaker! Cousteau!

In my short stint on the officer's committee, I tried to get him as a speaker for wamas......

For the low cost of a 20,000 donation to his charity. He would come and speak to our club.

Keep in mind that was 2007

And we all use to think Shimek was expensive.

-Byron

The national aquarium is in the DoC building I believe? I have never been in that aquarium, but go down to federal triangle a decent amount (working for commerce and all). Really should stop in there sometime. Maybe I could smooth talk someone in there...

Also, I used to work at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Admin doing Grants. Maybe we could reach out to one of the Program Offices there? Many of them have a lot to do with coral reef restoration, fisheries, etc...

Baltimore would be much better than DC in the cost department I bet...

Yeah I think Cmas is still hurting from the last time they held MACNA/IMAC.

Baltimore could be nice... Virginia was last time... Maryland this time... Get National Aquarium involved (DC National Aquarium sucks - Baltimore is the one that counts).

They have hotels/convention centers right there in the harbor...

edit: I see it was in baltimore in 2001...

Edited by Ryan S

Yes, Baltimore and DC have hosted the conference. There was talk a few years ago discussing a joint CMAS/WAMAS conference. The separation of monies, volunteers, etc wasn't as easy to combine as one would think. Baltimore a union town as well.

DC and Baltimore Aquariums are the same people running them. My inquiry was kind of rhetorical. We do know one of the new directors of operations of the national aquarium quite well now! Maybe even someone here!

Could someone explain to me what the associated costs and benefits are for hosting MACNA?

Would WAMAS pay for the convention center and all speakers?

What are the benefits to WAMAS?

I would assume our sponsors would place $10,000+ orders with their suppliers to have tons of coral on hand to sell? What other advantages would their be for WAMAS or WAMAS members-at-large?

Could someone explain to me what the associated costs and benefits are for hosting MACNA?

Would WAMAS pay for the convention center and all speakers?

What are the benefits to WAMAS?

I would assume our sponsors would place $10,000+ orders with their suppliers to have tons of coral on hand to sell? What other advantages would their be for WAMAS or WAMAS members-at-large?

top speakers in the industry in our backyard for 3 days

national club recognition (vendors give nice prizes to clubs they know)

cherry corals, take them home

newest technologies

make $$ for the club

Wamas pays for all hotel and speakers plus 10% of ticket sales go to MASNA.

top speakers in the industry in our backyard for 3 days

national club recognition (vendors give nice prizes to clubs they know)

cherry corals, take them home

newest technologies

make $ for the club

Wamas pays for all hotel and speakers plus 10% of ticket sales go to MASNA.

The risk is that WAMAS is paying for everything, so you have to attract people and get tickets sold in order to pay for it all.

How did we make out last time?