Rick and Marina's 225G SPS tank

really nice blue face....freaking love those fish

FTS cmon....i like the looks from that shot, also congrats on not losing any corals with the aquascape.....looks like alot more caves.

that tenella is VERY nice as well.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evansi are beautiful fish, but require at least 3 feedings per day with small foods - cyclopeeze, nutrimar ova, minced mysis. They have very small mouths, even compared to tukas. They were really difficult to acclimate.

i have three evansi in qt now. anything particular you noticed while in QT? did you prophylactically treat them? once in the display tank do you have an auto feeder for the multiple feedings, if so, which one? beautiful picture of those guys. wonderful job.

As we completely re-aquascaped the tank in the past month and a half, I thought it was the right time to add this little guy :)

He came out of QT 2 weeks ago and doing quite well.

kind of looks like a a majestic in between the color morph from juvi to adult. which is it? gorgeous fish.

Wow. That is an amazing fish. Exactly what is it?

Blueface angel. He is so loud! Grunts at me all the time.

FTS cmon....i like the looks from that shot, also congrats on not losing any corals with the aquascape.....looks like alot more caves.

FTS to follow soon, not done placing corals. Their colors are a little bit off after everything that we've done to the tank, but nothing major. You are welcome to check the tank out in person :)

i have three evansi in qt now. anything particular you noticed while in QT? did you prophylactically treat them? once in the display tank do you have an auto feeder for the multiple feedings, if so, which one?

kind of looks like a a majestic in between the color morph from juvi to adult. which is it? gorgeous fish.

I treated them with prazi, two rounds. No autofeeder for me, I prefer to give my fish frozen foods.

It is blueface angel. His colors are off, as my computer monitor calibrates itself to some unknown preferences, I guess :( I cannot get the right colors out of it. I switched computers, so hopefully I wil get true colors on my next round of pics.

What other corals did you grab?

mari lokani (sorry for blurry pic, the coral is all the way in the back of 36" deep tank)

DSC_0022_zps9bb8c1ae.jpg

and wild carduus colony. It is transitioning to purple, I've only had it for 2 weeks

DSC_0032_zpsd8d8fc91.jpg

Thank you for the compliments, everyone :)

Edited by marinap

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the system is recovering slowly from being turned upside down. We started in the end of December, and it took us about 2 months to replace all the rock. There are still some minor cycling events taking place, but I really hope we are moving in the right direction.

DSC_0020_zps56d5648b.jpg

DSC_0007_zps067f2e40.jpg

DSC_0003_zps33d5bf7c.jpg

DSC_0008_zps75a19592.jpg

DSC_0006_zps12aa66d1.jpg

(edited)

There are more fish in there - mag foxface, powder blue, copperband butterfly, blueface angel, anthias - I just chose a pic without them. I would call it a medium bioload :)

Rockwork was done with epoxy and generous help from Nick (stonecold).

Edited by marinap

There are more fish in there - mag foxface, powder blue, copperband butterfly, blueface angel, anthias - I just chose a pic without them. I would call it a medium bioload :)

Rockwork was done with epoxy and generous help from Nick (stonecold).

I thought that resembled a Stonecold scape, very nice!!

Very, very nice.

Looks stunning. How would you rate those pyramid butterflies on difficulty? Are they compatible with other butterfly's?

Not Marina but from what I've read, the key with these guys is to treat for flukes when you get them. They seem to really benefit from a prazi treatment in QT. They are generally planktivores and reef safe. I would imagine they'd be compatible with any butterfly that wasn't a conspecific, though your mileage may vary. They are truly one of the nicest butterflies imo.

Marina, your tank continues to amaze. What a great aquascape and fantastic colors. How are you liking the LEDs? Are you still using a mix of MH and LED?

Thank you for the comments, guys.

Pyramids are pretty hardy, they are good eaters (mysis, nori, OVA, ground table shrimp/clams/scallops) They get along with my copperband just fine. I put all my fish through 2 rounds of prazi.

Yes, still running a mix of 400W MH and LED. My frag tank has the same LED fixture as the one in the middle of the main tank. Colors and growth are all good, no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)

We added WP40 wavemaker on W1 mode to the tank 2 weeks ago. It works great. I had good polyp extension before, but now they are really out.

Purple monster

DSC_0032_zps34090531.jpg

SSC

DSC_0055_zps4d7da793.jpg

Cali tort

DSC_0056_zps9b47b381.jpg

Edited by marinap

wow. that's great to hear! thanks for the photos of those pieces! are you using an adjustable voltage power supply with it?

Edited by monkiboy

are you using an adjustable voltage power supply with it?

I don't need that. The pump makes a perfect wave on a 5' long tank.