PH issues- solutions?

LanglandJoshua

I've been having some PH issues and its getting very high. Up to 8.88, I am thinking two reactors may be my best bet. What do you guys think? My PH can hit 8.8+ during the day, and I saw 7.7 one night. I've been keeping track of this with my reefkeeper elite. Would kalk and alk be appropriate? Or is there something else you guys would suggest. I will test calcium and alkalinity tomorrow. I will also do a 10% water change to help. In the past I've tested PH at 8.3, but that was usually mid day. The reefkeeper has let me keep an eye on it throughout the day. These swings are getting worse. Any advice on this can help! (Jim I promise, I'll check magnesium! I'm thinking of getting a hanna checker.)

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Assuming you pH probe reading is accurate as others have mentioned, what are you currently adding to make pH go up to 8.8 in the first place?

A kalk reactor is best with all evap water run through it 24/7. Some with high pH issues only run them after lights out. My opinion is they are doing it wrong

as I have never, in 23 years of kalk use, seen a true case of highly elevated pH simply because of kalk alone. EVER

A calcium reactor (many of us call them alkalinity reactors) is also best run 274/7 but is often claimed responsible for depressed pH levels.

They are best used if, and only if, you actually need one for alk support not accomplished with kalk.

So, what are you adding now?

I've added nothing in past week.

I plan on taking a water sample to the marine scene, resetting for PH and magnesium. Unless someone wants to come on over!

That pH is very high. Check that you're calibrated first. I would suspect the measurement. Second, check and report your alkalinity. If it's too low, you may not have sufficient buffering and that may be behind the large swings. If both are in order, try aerating with fresh air and, if you have a macroalgae fuge, run it on a reverse light cycle - both reduce CO2, either by blowing it off or consuming it. While this doesn't reduce pH, it helps to stabilize the swings.

So, what are you adding now?

I guess I should have more specific in asking what you typically dose as a routine.

I ask because if your Ca and/or Alk are way high via additions and your actual demand for these are low, my suspicion, it could takes weeks for your levels to correct themselves naturally.

A 10% wc is not the answer as you really are not diluting it much by doing so but better than 100% change. don't laugh, sometimes that's the only way. example would be a dramatic kalk OD.

Give us more info and we'll try to help you out.

Ca =

alk=

mg=

sg=

Josh,

This is exactly what happened to me after the move. I calibrated and re-calibrated my pH probes as it was reading something like 8.6+ and it was a brand new probe. My CaRx compensated for the increase in pH and pumped CO2 constantly, then come to find out all my SPS died. Used a chemical pH test kit and found that my probe was reading 8.76 and was actually 7.6!!! The probe was fine, the calibration solutions were bad! I would highly suggest testing with a chemical test kit and buying new calibration solution and possibly a new probe if old. If there is a digital error somewhere you really want to catch it early.

Here was my thread on it: http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/46144-why-is-my-ph-86/

-Anthony

Edited by Fazio92

I am going to go out a limb here... Your pH is not really at 8.8. It is really hard to get it that high, and stuff would be dying. All the pH probes I have ad drift towards higher pH as they get old and dirty. Clean and recalibrate and I bet you will be fine. It is really tempting to react to the numbers, but don't fall into the trap.

I hope it is wrong, but one of my oldest healthiest montiporas is starting to show some dieoff. This could just be because it is growing enough to shadow some of itself. Maybe the death from that is stresing the rest...or its chem issues. I'm off on thursday, so that is when I will have to get over to the marine scene.

I hope it is wrong, but one of my oldest healthiest montiporas is starting to show some dieoff. This could just be because it is growing enough to shadow some of itself. Maybe the death from that is stresing the rest...or its chem issues. I'm off on thursday, so that is when I will have to get over to the marine scene.

Joshua, please check your alkalinity with something accurate and post results.

I have an alk and calcium hanna checker. There will be more in the future, but they are expensive...

All well and good but what are the measurements?

(edited)

Alk 149ppm, calcium in a few minutes.

Edit: calcium 439ppm

Ph probe is reading 7.64

Edited by LanglandJoshua

149 ppm alk is about 3.0 meq/l or 8.3 dKH. That's not that unusual. I'm not so worried about your pH swing, just wondering if your monti is really stressed or not. Are you running carbon? How is your skimmer performing? Get some pH calibration fluid to check the probe when you're out and about.

I'm hooping the probe is not calibrated right...it's in some vinegar and reading 5.56ph. It does not later that the vinegar is old, right?

I am planing on getting a reactor anyways. So maybe a carbon reactor would be best. But I will wait for tests from marine scene. They have more tests than I do. Hanna checkers can test for magnesium right? I've already got alk and calcium. Are there any others you guys would suggest?

149 ppm alk is about 3.0 meq/l or 8.3 dKH. That's not that unusual. I'm not so worried about your pH swing, just wondering if your monti is really stressed or not. Are you running carbon? How is your skimmer performing? Get some pH calibration fluid to check the probe when you're out and about.

I have kept the skimmer off for a while now. I got tired of cleaning it. But I'm probably going to turn it back on and add a 5 gal bucket for additional storage.

I have kept the skimmer off for a while now. I got tired of cleaning it. But I'm probably going to turn it back on and add a 5 gal bucket for additional storage.

My suspicion, then, is that you have a build up of dissolved organics that are causing stress to your corals. Turn the skimmer on and run some fresh carbon to see if things improve. Back off on your lighting for a week or two so you don't shock the corals if the water suddenly becomes clearer.

I'm sure this is obvious to you, but for those it may not be, you were cleaning it for a reason. That reason is it was doing it's job via removing organics.

Since there is clearly more to this issue, simple fixes are;

20% w/c's every 3-4 days with premixed seawater to 1.024-1.026.

Put skimmer back online and clean it at least one time a week, at least the neck.

(consider buying a wiper deal from avast to retro to your skimmer and run wetter skim)

(careful with a large "storage bucket" as many a skimmer ran over because of)

Add the chemicals you need, IF you need them, and test for what you are adding.

Don't test for things, don't add it.

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Agreed, the reason I don't run my skimmer is that I have so much rock. The goal was to not need to empty it every day.