PH issues- solutions?

LanglandJoshua

Agreed, the reason I don't run my skimmer is that I have so much rock. The goal was to not need to empty it every day.

I think you need to do more than just a bunch of rock to run a skimmerless system. Usually skimmerless systems have large refugiums, DSBs etc..

Also, you shouldnt have to empty your skimmer daily. If you do its either not adjusted correctly or way undersized. What skimmer are you currently running.?

I had phosphates and magnesium tested at The Marine Scene. I do not remember the scale used so forgive my not marking units. Phosphates came back at 2.5! Wow, suggested level is .5! Magnesium came back at 1250, I believe suggested is around 1350. So what I have done is buy one dual reactor for carbon and phosguard. As well as one red sea magnesium test kit, and powder magnesium supplement. Time to get to work on that reactor!

I think you need to do more than just a bunch of rock to run a skimmerless system. Usually skimmerless systems have large refugiums, DSBs etc..

Also, you shouldnt have to empty your skimmer daily. If you do its either not adjusted correctly or way undersized. What skimmer are you currently running.?

I had bought a pegleg skimmer from Avast a while back. I believe I was told it could handle 200-250 gallons. But it may be too small I agree.

Run the skimmer. Your live rock won't typically break it all down. Macro can help with the phosphates if you want to go the natural route.

Your magnesium is pretty close to the nominal value of 1280 ppm. Some people like to run it higher. It's not that critical to do so, though. I recommend boosting magnesium using mag-flake (a deicer from Dead Sea Works). You'll probably find it cheaper, though you have to use a lot of magnesium chloride (by weight) to get a good boost in magnesium because of the small atomic weight of magnesium relative to the two chlorine and six water molecules that surround it in its hydrated form. There's nothing wrong with wanting to run at 1350 either. You just don't need to.

I had bought a pegleg skimmer from Avast a while back. I believe I was told it could handle 200-250 gallons. But it may be too small I agree.

It may be skimming really wet and therefore filling the cup quickly. You may want to adjust it to try and get a more dry skim. I think its very capable of handling your system..

Also, are you planning on mixing the phos remover and carbon.? If so, I would advise against that.

It may be skimming really wet and therefore filling the cup quickly. You may want to adjust it to try and get a more dry skim. I think its very capable of handling your system..

Also, are you planning on mixing the phos remover and carbon.? If so, I would advise against that.

It takes 5-8 hours. Maybe more, then the skimmer fills.

Okay so after all of that did you get a ph reading from a test kit? And wow 2.5 pretty high, I think .5 is a high standard too, depending on what kinda tank your running though. Let me know how that phosguard works, I didn't like it much but I may have been using it wrong at the time. As high as yours is I would use some rowaphos slowly to get it down to normal. And on the skimmer, acording to the thread I started about my skimmer everyone says the avast should handle your system no problem.