Aquarium Controlllers

reefbox

I was looking for some insight on Aquarium Controller usage by fellow Wamas Members. What are people using these days? Which Brand? Pros vs cons,

or just simple experiences. Feedback is greatly appreciated! Hopefully, this will be helpful to other local reefers looking for general Information.

Thanks- Reefbox

tagging along. I'm also looking for some info because I will be leaving the country for two months and want to be able to check things out online while I'm gone.

I travel extensively for work. I have a rather elaborate Apex system along with a couple of cheap web cams to keep an eye on things. All of it is completely controlable on my iPad or from the local internet cafe. I can't imagine a better system.

I use an AC-III (Aquacontroller III), a predecessor to the Apex. Nice setup, but a generation behind the Apex. It, too, is controllable from my Android phone and on the web. I also have it send me a text message and email each day to report the tank status to me. In the event that parameters (pH, temp, etc.) are out of whack, it alarms and sends me a message, too.

Reef angel, comes with good software loaded, very competitive price, add on wifi module that doesn't require an addational router, affordable add on parts, nice extras like led dimmer built in, 3 x temp probes and I/O's, open source code with large community etc.

Does anyone have any pictures of these controllers in action ?

In action? It looks like the pictures that the manufacturer puts on their website. Go to Neptune Systems and take a look. You'll find the AC-III and AC-JR under legacy products.

Thanks for starting this thread, because this subject has been on my mind. I have experience with sprinkler systems but not aquarium controllers. I'm building a large system with several dozen solenoids and maybe a dozen pumps and I lean toward a commercial greenhouse controller like this one: http://www.hunterind...lers/iccfb.html. This should cost in the range of $200 to $250.

What do the aquarium controllers do which this does not? I don't travel that much so I don't much need the PDA application, although that really is a nice feature if I wanted to check on the system while I am at work.

Keep in mind that my preference for an irrigation controller doesn't come from elitism or greater knowledge, it comes from ignorance. Please let me know if I am leaning in the wrong direction. Thanks in advance.

Edited by dave w

More important that the ability to check from your phone is that it will send you emails if something has gone wrong.

The Apex is where its at. Neptune has excellent customer service and a good product. DA has an OK product and notoriously bad customer service.

For a small system, the Apex Jr looks great on paper but I haven't played with one myself yet.

More important that the ability to check from your phone is that it will send you emails if something has gone wrong.

The Apex is where its at. Neptune has excellent customer service and a good product. DA has an OK product and notoriously bad customer service.

For a small system, the Apex Jr looks great on paper but I haven't played with one myself yet.

That's a good point, but perhaps less important on a large system than a small one, because (most) changes happen more slowly. For pH, it may take a week to drop half a point in a big tank. For example, do these controllers have an alarm that calls you if the water level falls below a certain point? I can see the value in that. The greenhouse controller would not have that type of alarm, but I think it can be installed independently.

I like where this thread is going. Lets keep this one active as people purchase aquarium controllers, etc. Thanks again everyone!

I had one more thing to add that was off-topic. How would people feel if we started to have several "mini-meets" that we could do in between our regular meets just to hang out, share information and so on?? Don't get me wrong, I like our regular meets, I just thought it would be nice to have a couple more. Just a thought.

.... For example, do these controllers have an alarm that calls you if the water level falls below a certain point? I can see the value in that. The greenhouse controller would not have that type of alarm, but I think it can be installed independently.

Yes, the AC-III (and I would assume the Apex, too) can do this. You can set it to alarm on any condition that it is able to monitor. In the case of the AC-III you would need to add their breakout box, or DIY one from their DIN connector. This would allow you to set up discrete logic inputs that you could use to trigger the alarm. Upon alarming, the AC-III can be used to send out an email or to email a text message.

Which neptune controller do I need to control a lights powerheads kalk reactor and calcium reactor. Apex, lite, or JR

Any of them can do it. With kalk and a calcium reactor, I suggest going with the Apex that supports 2 pH right out of the box - one for teh tank and one for the ca rx.

I just upgraded to an Apex from a reefkeeper cause I wanted 2 ph probes and internet without buying even more modules. Since you've missed labor day sales, just wait for halloween or thanksgiving then you will have figured it out.