Avast skimmer help

I know I'm not the smartest guy but I thought I could figure out a skimmer. How do you keep the skimmer from making an insane amount of bubbles? It fills the cup up in 5 seconds. I've tried to adjust the gate valve in all different positions but it doesn't help. Thanks.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say if the gate valve is not helping adjust it, then you probably have to put the skimmer on a stand so that it sits at a lower depth (as in 6 or 7 inches instead of 8).

Does it have two pumps? One for pushing water through the skimmer and the other for creating air bubbles and recirculating?

Fully open the gate valve. With the circulating pump off and the gate valve open, you should be able to take the skimmer cup off. Water is simply passing through the skimmer and the level should be several inches below the skimmer neck.

If the gate valvue is fully open and water is flowing out the top of the skimmer, you will need a smaller pump. (or something is blocking the output)

Does it have two pumps? One for pushing water through the skimmer and the other for creating air bubbles and recirculating?

Fully open the gate valve. With the circulating pump off and the gate valve open, you should be able to take the skimmer cup off. Water is simply passing through the skimmer and the level should be several inches below the skimmer neck.

If the gate valvue is fully open and water is flowing out the top of the skimmer, you will need a smaller pump. (or something is blocking the output)

Just one pump. I purchased the pump from avast that was recommended for the pump. It does seem like there's just too much water being pushed by the pump.

Completely open the gate valve by turning it to the left until it can't go anymore (remember righty tighty, lefty loosey)......if that doesn't work then try raising the skimmer up a couple of inches.

cheers,

Darren

It's simply because it's a new skimmer charged with static electricity and the combination of new water and new system. This is what happens with 90% of skimmers that are brand new.

Just keep the cup off and open the gate valve all the way. It will stop foaming in a few hours or as long as a day or two.

hahahaha... the Avast cone skimmer works great! BUT!!! It is very sensitive to changes in water level. Raise it up a couple inches. laughing at the photo - I could have a few of those. If I forget to turn off the skimmer when I turn off the return pump (and the water level in the sump rises) - about 2 minutes later I have the same "Oh, @#$%!!!" moment.

bob

It looks like you have the output tee pressed close to the glass judging by the picture. The water appears to be pushing against the front wall. This can create backpressure which acts like a partially closed valve. Can you turn the output tee 90 degrees to the left?

It looks like you have the output tee pressed close to the glass judging by the picture. The water appears to be pushing against the front wall. This can create backpressure which acts like a partially closed valve. Can you turn the output tee 90 degrees to the left?

The output tee is 2 inches from acrylic. It looks close because there is so much water coming out.

By the way... my CS1 was one of the first ones made (possibly the first - memory fails), and has been running trouble-free for a couple of years now.

bob

Robs right, if new to quality skimming, it can take a while to super saturate the water with air.

IMO, 2 inches from wall is too close and can create back pressure as Justin mentioned.

Robs right, if new to quality skimming, it can take a while to super saturate the water with air.

IMO, 2 inches from wall is too close and can create back pressure as Justin mentioned.

Okay cool I'll turn it around so the output will have more room towards the filter sock and just let it run for a while.

(edited)

I have to be doing something wrong this skimmer is still pushing out too much water. It's been running all day with the gate valve all the way open.

477eaf56-1dc1-1b64.jpg

Is my pump too big? It's a psk 1000.

Edited by forrealb50

What is the PH at right now? All the fresh mixed salt water probably has a low PH I bet. Once it gets aerated it should be better would be my guess. Only a guess.

I haven't had the lights on all day so the ph is at 7.88. I did run it one day with the light on a normal cycle and it was steady during the day at 8.4. The tank is certainly being aerated. :)

I haven't had the lights on all day so the ph is at 7.88. I did run it one day with the light on a normal cycle and it was steady during the day at 8.4. The tank is certainly being aerated. :)

Steve,

my avast skimmer did that for a couple hours the first day. open. the gate valve all the way, give it a little time and then slowly close the gate valve. in my case, part of the problem was that I had the output too close to the edge of the sump edge at the beginning.

Steve - Did you use any epoxy in the tank for the rock structures? I know that when I use any type of adhesive in the tank the skimmer goes crazy for a while.

if the output off of the tee is submerged or even partially submerged in water then that will put back pressure on the skimmer and cause it to overflow like that