Avast skimmer help

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve - Did you use any epoxy in the tank for the rock structures? I know that when I use any type of adhesive in the tank the skimmer goes crazy for a while.

The tank was just built so maybe that's it. I did use a tube of the 2 part, some silicone to hold the starboard in place. It has to be because there's so much new stuff I the tank.

I'm sure you'll hear more from Justin or even Dan but, for now, I raise the skimmer several inches up if possible

and re install the cup to try and skim out what ever you can.

With what you've just mentioned, you are a ways from locating the skimmer in normal depth and skimming as expected.

Based on the carpet of foam in the sump in your pic from last night, you've got something in the water that needs pulled out. As Chip said, try putting the cup on, and running a line to a 5 gal bucket- do a skimmer powered water change. Is there any livestock in this tank yet?

Ah, new filter socks will do that too. Something in the fabric causes skimmers to go nuts. Again, the skimmer-powered water change will fix it.

Great idea! Never thought about doing that.

No livestock yet, just 30 lbs of live rock, 40lbs of dry rock and 10lbs of dry sand in the refugium. There so much "new" stuff that tank with all the plumbing, tank, hardware, sump, ato, kalk reactor etc.

I had some skimmer insanity too, that is part of the reason I chose to go skimmer-less. once a week it would do that. Probably just some sort of cycle. But I got tired of a weeks worth of skimate going back into the tank...there were several times I spent hours scooping up foam with a fish net...

Well I skimmed out 10 gallons and theres no difference with the skimmer. It's still overflowing like crazy. Not sure if I should have it run with out the collection cup or what.

I also didn't expect the output would be so loud. It's like having a really noisy overflow on the tank.

I had some skimmer insanity too, that is part of the reason I chose to go skimmer-less. once a week it would do that. Probably just some sort of cycle. But I got tired of a weeks worth of skimate going back into the tank...there were several times I spent hours scooping up foam with a fish net...

I'm about to join the skimmer-less club. I've had two other skimmer in the past and never had issues with them.

I'm looking into buying some cleaner clams to help filter. What I think would be cheaper would be to buy some edible live clams. If someone else would want some I could buy more and split them.

A weird question but have you treated the tank with Red Slime remover or something? After I treated my tank with that stuff, my skimmer went literally crazy on me. I could NOT contain the bubbles and the foam... I had to wait till I did couple water changes to put my skimmer back in action.

Just brainstorming!

BTW, CS1 Skimmers are not available online... I was gonna order one last night... sad.gif

I would just give it some time, its new it will take awhile to break in. I have heard of people having to wait a few days even a few weeks for the skimmer to adjust.

I wonder what it would do with you mixed a batch of new salt water in a bucket and placed the skimmer in that. That could tell you if its the skimmer, or if its the chemicals from the glue and/or filter socks.

I'm about to join the skimmer-less club. I've had two other skimmer in the past and never had issues with them.

patience grasshopper.

It gets better and you have one of the finest skimmers available at any price point.

Several days is normal and using 2 part epoxy combined with many of the things you have mentioned will add time to the break in point.

have you completely taken the gate valve off and ran it like that?

Once it settles down you can add it back and route the out flow to your liking.

(edited)

Should I continue running it without the collection cup and just wait or keep skimming out 5 gallons at a time? I don't think I can take the gate valve all the way off. But it is 100% open.

Edited by forrealb50

FWIW I have been having similar challenges with my Peg Leg. I am running it about 8" deep and I still can't adjust it to pull skimmate, just lots of water. I have faith in the product, but this has been a while.

Should I continue running it without the collection cup and just wait or keep skimming out 5 gallons at a time? I don't think I can take the gate valve all the way off. But it is 100% open.

it's the epoxy. i glued a couple thing last night with a new epoxy. after a couple hours, my pump was running dry and when I get to check out the tank, i found my skimmer collection cup was full as was the extra container. my skimmer is still going nuts this am. i took the gate valve off and am letting it run on it's own for a little while. it was only enough epoxy to glue 1 frag!

A weird question but have you treated the tank with Red Slime remover or something? After I treated my tank with that stuff, my skimmer went literally crazy on me. I could NOT contain the bubbles and the foam... I had to wait till I did couple water changes to put my skimmer back in action.

Just brainstorming!

BTW, CS1 Skimmers are not available online... I was gonna order one last night... sad.gif

Haven't treated the tank with anything. It's on day 3 of a new cycle.

+ 1 on the fresh saltwater idea. That would help determine the cause.

I'm going to try that tonight.

FWIW I have been having similar challenges with my Peg Leg. I am running it about 8" deep and I still can't adjust it to pull skimmate, just lots of water. I have faith in the product, but this has been a while.

How long has yours been going nuts? Are you having the same problem with it pushing an insane amount of water out the top?

Steve - It will take some time. How much height do you have under the tank? I have a 30" tall Reef Dynamics skimmer you can borrow to help you get the "new" out of the water. Also, if it runs like the Avast you'll know it's something in the water and not the skimmer. Let me know.