Avast skimmer help

with the recirc model, there should be no initial volcano action. I've put 3 new recircs together without cleaning them and had no volcano.

when you loosen the screws, you have to be able to create a gap in the flange to allow the water to leak out in order for this to work.

turn off the recirc pump- does it still volcano? I use MJ 400's or even Rio 90's to feed the skimmer- perhaps you're using something too large?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using a MJ600. I could get a 400 and try that? There is no volcano without the recirc pump. The mj just puts a bunch of water inside, at a depth a little above the bubble plate i'd say?

turn off mj. does the sicce pump overflow the skimmer? If so, then there's an issue that can be addressed.

no. the sicce just makes a thick foam in the cone, which stops like 3-4" below the neck. it only overflows when I plug the MJ in.

I have a ball valve I can put on the hose from the MJ to the skimmer, should I try that and reduce the output from the MJ to 50% or 75%?

no. the sicce just makes a thick foam in the cone, which stops like 3-4" below the neck. it only overflows when I plug the MJ in.

I have a ball valve I can put on the hose from the MJ to the skimmer, should I try that and reduce the output from the MJ to 50% or 75%?

yes- dial in the skimmer with the MJ. It sounds like it's too large of a pump for that use.

What's the water level in the sump? These skimmers work best when they are run in water that is near the top of the base plate flange where all of the screws are.

yes- dial in the skimmer with the MJ. It sounds like it's too large of a pump for that use.

What's the water level in the sump? These skimmers work best when they are run in water that is near the top of the base plate flange where all of the screws are.

the water level is well above the base plate. i'd say 7" or so.

i will retighted the base plate screws I loosened? then put the ball valve on the MJ and turn it down and see if that helps.