Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

Typically if there is enough light, and flow they usually chill in one spot. Since you have T5's I would suggest the top 4-5"if its too much light the anemone will hide. Just give it a cave it can go into. Mine live that. I have a GBTA I could sell you. Its dark green, not bright/neon. My B&W clowns were in it yesterday, today they are back to their RBTA.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want a bubble tip anemone for my clowns. How much trouble would a small one cause in my tank you think? Do they sit on SPS and such? Anyone with well behaving Bubble tip anem.?

Thanks.

Don't do it. I put a rbta in my 29gal for my clowns. It was cool to see it hosting them, but then it started walking... It's just not worth it imo. Plus, if it dies when you are not around it will foul up your entire tank. Even if it decides to stay put it will GROW, and still cause problems. The negatives outweigh the positives imo.

I've got one in the 14, I agree they can cause havoc if they walk, but if you keep things faily consistent they usually do fine.

Yes they do grow, which is why I split and sell mine. I've not had one die yet that was not a bad cut on my part. But if it does die, then yes pull it out fast. I suggest using gloves and putting it in a tupperware container you dont want. Because, like starfish when it comes out of the water it smells so bad it can take days to clear out of a room. Of course, his tank is a bit small for one. However with the right light he could keep it, if he really wants it.

Like most things in our tanks everyone has a different experience. Sometimes you just have to plan to sell a fish or critter because you know it will outdoor your tank.

I just split one GBTA, so in a couple weeks if your still interested I have it. If not, I'll just make a FS post of my coral.

A trick to keep an anemone in one place is to place it on it's own small rock. They send not to like traversing the sand to get to new rock and will usually sit put. Feeding a small shrimp or silverside piece once it's situated also helps.

Guys,

Thank a lot for all your input. I don't think I am gonna risk it and get one as of now. My tank is still tiny for it as far as I understand from people's experiences. I am not willing or able to move my SPS around as it moves anyway...

Now that I know who has RBTA/GBTA, I will let you know when/if I upgrade and would like to get one!

Thanks again!

On the other hand, my new AI SOL Blue is shipped. I can't wait to try it out. I am having some trouble deciding how to place it over the tank, tho. Suggestions?

I did tried the small rock trick couple times but my BTA foot always let go at night when no one watching which turn out to be a disaster in the morning.

That sounds great, always take your time to get it right. A correction to my last post, the GBTA's are much more colorful under 150W 14K light. I will also have some small RBTA's split hopefully by the end of the month.

Did you get the AI unit set up on this tank?

not yet. It is arriving this Thursday, 21 June. Any suggestions on the placement. Since I don't own a PAR meter I have no clue how high to put the AI or how intense to use the LEDs.

All those people with an AI fixture out there... Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Guys,

Thank a lot for all your input. I don't think I am gonna risk it and get one as of now. My tank is still tiny for it as far as I understand from people's experiences. I am not willing or able to move my SPS around as it moves anyway...

Now that I know who has RBTA/GBTA, I will let you know when/if I upgrade and would like to get one!

Thanks again!

On the other hand, my new AI SOL Blue is shipped. I can't wait to try it out. I am having some trouble deciding how to place it over the tank, tho. Suggestions?

interested to see how you like your sol. I'm really tempted to get them for the new tank but the price is a lot when you consider the size of the tank ;(.

i've got a couple rose bubbles in my fuge. lmk if you want one.

I couldn't get to even try it yet cos some of my LEDs won't fire up. I got a call from AI today regarding the situation. On the other hand, I truly think that it is an investment. I am definitely gonna upgrade my tank size sometime in the near future.

On my 20 gal it will be too strong if I run it full force but I like the sunrise/sunset function. I think the natural simulation will create a better environment for the tank inhabitants.

I will keep you informed. I am planning on posting the transition to LEDs by pictures once I get it up and running.

<br />How are you going to hang the AI unit over the tank?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have no clue really. Suggestions?

(edited)

I had planned on having a light tree made....

Can you please explain this... what is a light tree? mellow.gif

Also some new addition to my tank. These babies are from UniqueCorals in NYC. (I was there over the weekend) What a selection and very reasonable prices!

Duncan

5981763515_df193e1c1d_b.jpg

Chalices

5981783163_2825362109_b.jpg

5981764257_123c3d577c_b.jpg

The frag rack

5981762975_5ab8c0ac7a_b.jpg

Everything is on the rack for maybe another couple of days.

Where to place the chalices? Suggestions?

Edited by Reefoholic

All the AI Sol people out there! What are your settings on the AI Controller? It is kind of confusing??? Please help.

My AI SOL Super Blue arrived yesterday and after spending some time with it, tinkering with the controller I am very happy to announce that this light fixture is the future!!!

I am seeing nice colors, neon greens, blues, oranges, reds, you name it under these light and everybody seems to enjoy them immensely. Even my leather coral is very happy (he is usually very grumpy and all shriveled up)...

Here are some pictures with my DIY stand.

Enjoy!

6012875048_c67a38073e_b.jpg

6012327127_a87852e9a8_b.jpg

I am considering upgrading to a Avast Marine Works CS1 Cone Skimmer? too much for a 20 gal?

Thanks.

I haven't setup my AI yet. I really need to get two more so I can put it/them on my new 30x30x24 I've setup. The timer setup of the AI did look a little confusing. I'm glad I'll have you to get some help from :)

BTW I love your stand for the light! I might take that idea for myself too.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Here is a decent update of what I have been doing for the last 4 days. First, I custom added 4 T5 24Watt bulbs to my AI fixture canopy. Here are couple of pics:

6153473282_5f31ee4b35_b.jpg

6152931495_cbdcf3bca9_b.jpg

After adding these, I took the PAR readings both only LEDs on and LEDs - T5s combo on. Note that LEDs are working at 85% intensity for both PAR readings.

6154193602_4b7f26ec77_b.jpg

6153649663_1a995b55df_b.jpg

I have also reconfigured the optics of my AI fixture. I have 2 70 degree optics on either side of the fixture and one in the middle for better coverage.

At this point, I don't think there is anything else to do but to wait. If this does not work either, I might go back to my MH fixture which I butchered to custom supplement the LEDs...

Please let me know what you think! Thanks!!!