Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

Vortech MP10 installed on Reef Crest Mode. I also installed ReefKeeper Lite and hooked up the lites to it. I am getting my MH 150W tomorrow. So new lights, new pump and a high-tech reef control unit. Fishes must be so happy at this point!

Any ideas on how to do the lighting configuration? I have T5s 24X4 2 actinic, 2 12K now. When I get the MH 150W should I completely get rid of the T5s? Would the MH give a nice blue light as well. As you can see, this is going to be my first MH and first professional lighting fixture.

(Pics to be posted!)

Thanks!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright everyone!

After the crazy diatom bloom and many clean ups, here are some pictures of the tank with my newly purchased light fixture from Scott (patriotm) with a new bulb (Radium 150W, 20K) Blue.

The corals already look much nicer. I also think it takes time for them to get more color after crappy lighting (PC=> T5 => MH).

I also took out the canister filter and ordered an Eshopps Nano HOB. I am thinking of setting up a 10 gal SUMP since I don't have much space. Any ideas? Suggestions or good SUMP plans you know???

Here are some pics.

5643988523_546294cae6_z.jpg

Roscoe's Blue has never been this blue, lol!

5643988959_104142c133_z.jpg

birds eye!

5644555684_00209e22fe_z.jpg

Is there a reason you are running the water level that low?

There is an inch from the top. Do you think it is too low?

I keep mine so the surface is up under the trim.

Any benefits of that? I could add some more water. Btw, how to cool the mh fixture? It puts out a ton of heat.

Yeah, it looks better ;)

MH get hot. You can put a fan on it. You'll end up needing to top off more too, but it will help with the tank temp as well.

Since I don't own a RO/DI unit, what is the best source for top off water?

Best choice would be to get an RODI unit. Going to store for water is a pain. Its heavy, and gas isn't getting cheaper.

After that, go to the LFS. If that doesn't work, the filtered water at the grocery store is better than nothing. Some people get away with tap, but I don't trust it. Especially for a reef.

Just ordered TYPHOON III AQUARIUM RODI. Dudes, I am literally PENNILESS at this point!

Best choice would be to get an RODI unit. Going to store for water is a pain. Its heavy, and gas isn't getting cheaper.

After that, go to the LFS. If that doesn't work, the filtered water at the grocery store is better than nothing. Some people get away with tap, but I don't trust it. Especially for a reef.

I love the layout! Tank looks great. Getting a good RO/DI and topoff will definitely make life easier imo.

Unfortunately the whole system crashed starting yesterday morning. Literally in a matter of hours I lost the Monti, Roscoe's Blue, and many others withered away. Devastation is not even enough to describe what I have been feeling. I was up till 3:00am last night trying to rescue the remainings. I have another thread going on for that under general discussion forums.

Thanks for the compliments on my "former" tank, tho. It was fealty loved and admired.

Happy Easter!!!

You bought it from AWI, right? Did you remember the coupon code?

Yeah I used the code and saved $19. Sweet deal!!!

Today's test results are in:

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0.25 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Phosphate 0.0ppm

KH 179 ppm / 10dKH

Calcium 480 ppm

Temperature 80F (Since it is kinda warm outside)

Everything check out well. Now let the healing begin!!!

Dudes! This think is more complicated than it looks! Where do I hook up the tubes? Man, I need some youtube videos, lol!

There is an input that goes to the faucet, likely an output that goes to the DI, a product water line, and a drain line. If you post a pic I can show tell you what color goes where. Or, if you are super confused, you can bring it somewhere I am and I can show you what to do with it.

(edited)

Here we go! My Typhoon III is all hooked up and filtering away!!!

Unpackaged! This thing is BIG!

5667407736_ab2c16bf42_z.jpg

Hooked up the Faucet Adapter! Secured the tubing to the wall.

5666837323_2bd482e9fc_z.jpg

All ready to filter. Nice setup, huh???

5666837605_8f0423562b_z.jpg

The discarded water is kinda cloudy and grey. I think the filters are being washed. how long should I wait to use the RODI water? I have heard people say first 5 gal is trash.

Edit -- First three TDS readings came out to be all 0ppm. Whereas tap water in DC is 135, and my Britta is 95 ppm. I had no idea!!!

Edited by Reefoholic

Hey,

I had a late night last night. Finished up my SUMP installation, took care of some leaks and what not and went to bed at around 3am. Looks like it all paid off tho. I also installed a sheet of UV protective glass on my Coralife MH fixture. I do think the UV glass blocks some of the nice blue tint, tho.

Yesterday was a total DIY day. I also built a small frag rack for my SPS and the strawberry monti.

Let me know what you think!

Tank shots:

5675747893_a9a9799041_z.jpg

5675746027_b53cec2a92_z.jpg

5675746569_40c5cd263c_z.jpg

The clown fish spends every minute of the day in that leather coral.

5675746283_7ff4f9ed0c_z.jpg

DIY frag rack from egg crate and two suction cups.

5675748179_dfa56577e7_z.jpg

5676308732_3740a46f8a_z.jpg

Now the HOB

5676309012_c84d858e78_z.jpg

Birds Eye SUMP behind the main tank.

5675747299_ae1ef65338_z.jpg

The first chamber has ChemiPure Elite and some filter media. The second chamber is waiting for some Cheato and the heater is in this chamber as well.

5676309418_7586063cc2_z.jpg

My next project is to secure the outlets on the bottom if the shelf above so that if water spill occurs, I don't have to worry about electrical problems.

ATO Update

I received the AVAST ATO today in the mail and of course hurried upstairs to set it up. A nice surprise was a little post-it note from Justin! Thanks!

So far so good! It is very easy to set up and works like a charm. I set the top off water level and hooked it up to a maxi-jet (since this maxi-jet was sitting around I saved $15 bucks on buying another pump, sweet!). Using an old Marineland little tank as my RODI water bucket since it has a lid and small enough to go right next to my tank.

I have been maintaining the calcium and alkalinity levels pretty decent lately. Also thanks to my new RODI filter and ATO system, salinity won't be spiking up and down. Steady does it!!!

Sounds like you've been busy! Things will grow back slowly. You're also welcome to some frags once I get a little growth on my corals :)

Thanks Roni!

Here are some more pictures with my new LR addition and of course some corals! I have also built a new light canopy housing the MH and two actinic blues. I am considering buying two purple T5s as well, ideas?

Also thanks to Steve again for meeting up with me for a huge bag full of Cheato! My SUMP has never been happier!

I have been checking Calcium and Magnesium daily. My calcium levels are good but Mag. is around 1200 ppm. I am waiting for my Brightwell Magnesion to arrive to start dosing.

Also, I started adding MicroBacter7 after reading many comments from master reefers who have been using this product.

Long story short, here are some pics:

5696178650_22e4d1c1d9_z.jpg

Mr. Coral purchase! This SPS was fragged and has been nicely healing in my tank for 2 weeks now :)

5696178510_b83a802cb0_z.jpg

5696178350_80117ce23f_z.jpg

5696178430_e17d318f4a_z.jpg

My frag rack is pretty booked for the rest of the Summer season, lol! I am always accepting new frags so that I can move these on to the LR.

Yesterday was a big day for my lonely Ocellaris. I added a second Ocellaris to keep him company and I must admit I was a little anxious at first. After 10 mins of trembling and chasing, they seemed to get along well. This morning I watched them swim together, along each other and sharing the leather coral that the older one was hosting for a little while now.

Another new addition was a handsome green orange urchin. He seems to be exploring his new home enthusiastically. My calcium levels are pretty stable for a couple of days, an I am not even dozing anything. SPS look happy but I am not sure if they are using the calcium. My magnesium level is 1200ppm. Waiting for my brightwell magnesion to arrive.

Ideas? Suggestions?