Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

can't believe i missed this. That's pretty good par at the sand level, more then enough for anything you want to keep. How is the color with the t5s? Really like the B+ and P+ to make the colors pop.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a while since I last posted updates! I have been very busy with work, since I started a new job 2 months ago. My water parameters have been very steady for a while now, and stuff is growing! My SPS is getting their color back. The new growth especially looks amazing! I am trying to prevent my xenias taking over the tank. Also, my leather coral is splitting every 2 days. I end up trashing all the splits so if anyone is interested in a leather coral, please let me know!!!

Here are some pics. My LED experiment/experience has been a rocky road. I lost some coral but some coral liked it more than my MH T5 combo. I think the key to growing SPS successfully is stable everything; water parameters (alk, calc and so on), lighting schedule ...

Enjoy!!!

Mr. Happy Clam

6487098897_8e24a2f3c8_b.jpg

ORA Spongodes (Amazing growth, the growing tips are neon purple)

6487099339_8e15d2fa9d_b.jpg

Zoo Land (So colorful)

6487099935_cace83307d_b.jpg

Zoo Land 2

6487124981_c374f4fcb8_b.jpg

Tyree Flower Petal Capricornis Monti (Thanks Bill - OldReefer) It is encrusting very nicely.

6487125463_0e65484dc1_b.jpg

SPS Cluster (ORA Birdsnest, ORA Red (not so red) Planet, ORA Green Stylophora)

6487126043_309dbbafb5_b.jpg

Purple Slimer (Thanks to Bill - OldReefer) This is an amazing neon purple! Camera does't do it justice.

6487090831_fd840aa4a7_b.jpg

Please post your comments and advice!!!

Thanks!

thanks tpallas! I am planning on fragging the purple slimmer soon. If anyone needs frags, let me know.

Put me on the list bud! Are you using a macro lens for those shots?

I might take a peice of that slimer back to see if I can get it to color up I. One of my hot spots.

Sure Bill!!! I can frag some and actually bring it to the social! Just let me know :)

Put me on the list bud! Are you using a macro lens for those shots?

I am trying to find some of those floral picks or water tubes or whatever they are to plant the frags on. Any idea where I can buy them from? Maybe a florist?

Looking great! Would love to get a piece of that purple slimer down the line as well. My piece from Bill died in the tank crash. It's amazing how much stuff has grown in in the last few months!

Very very nice looking aquarium!

So tell me about your AI Fixture. Pro's / Con's. Why did you feel you needed to add the T5's along with it?

Answer my questions!!!!! LOL

Chris,

I am sorry that I couldn't reply sooner. I like my AI fixture alright. Here are some Pros and Cons

Pros:

1) Sunrise - Sunset Simulation (Tank inhabitants don't feel like they are being interrogated with flood lights every morning, lol)

2) Lower energy consumption

3) Minimal heat output (I had MH and T5 combo before this and temperature fluctuation of the tank during the day was HUGE problem)

4) Easily programmable lighting options. The possibilities are endless when it comes to what one would like to accomplish in terms of lighting. (Sunny, cloudy, etc.)

Cons:

1) Initial cost is high. (Given this is a one time cost, it is not too bad - talking about AI SOL here, Ecotech people must be out of their d@mn minds)

2) A lot to learn about and tinker with. (I am not sure if this is a con but it could get overwhelming to discover all the intensity, ramping etc. options)

3) A much different kind of light spectrum and quality. I don't think LEDs should be compared to T5s and/or MHs apples to apples. LEDs provide a mush different kind of light.

4) LED technology is still evolving. Every quarter, companies come up with something new, from new LED colors to new optics. Sometimes it is cumbersome to try to keep up with all.

All in all, I am pleased with my AI SOL fixture. I supplement it with T5s because there are some blind spots on either sides of my tank and I like a Purple/Pink hue that ATI purple plus gives.

If you are starting a new tank from scratch, I say go for LEDs. Since I "upgraded" from MHs to LEDs, I lost some of my beloved SPS due to light changes and stress I assume. I roughly switched to LEDs August 2011, and I can confidently say that after 4 months, things are getting better in SPS growth and coloration. FYI, my electric bill went down a considerable amount.

Hit me up if you have any questions. You are also more than welcome to come and see the AI SOLs over my tank in person.

Matt

I am happy to take a frag back if it is big enough. Of course in 6 months it is going to take over your entire tank. It explodes when it is happy.

Bill,

I am sad to announce this but I lost that purple slimer. It lost tissue rapidly and I had to take it out before things got even worse. I am trying to revive some frags but it is not looking well. I am trying to find what might have caused this. All my other SPS is doing well. I also lost a plate of orange monti which was right next to it. SPS warfare, maybe?

I will keep you guys updated.

Sucks about the purple slimer Matt. Good review of the LEDs too. I'd add that I love being able to adjust intensity with the touch of a button!

Thanks buddy! Now that I have been using the LEDs for sometime, I think it is good to provide some inside on my experience. Thanks to Chris for asking the question.

Purple Slimer was a total shocker! I did not expect that at all! I am on vacation till after Xmas so I can't check on the frags I salvaged. I will keep you guys updated. (BTW, I remember many people got huge frags from OldReefer then. Maybe someone else can do us a favor...)

• 2 weeks later...

A possible upgrade.... what?! Who said that? We'll see...

(PS: Why didn't I win the lottery already? This is so not fare!)

Some night time pictures. I was experimenting with my camera and the royal blue LEDs. RB LEDs are at 20% intensity in these pics.

Enjoy!!!

6682217909_284cb410dc_b.jpg

6682217119_264cfbd53b_b.jpg

6682216229_df2708438f_b.jpg

6682215261_54eb933931_b.jpg

6682214109_7227315bd4_b.jpg

6682213723_602660b10d_b.jpg

Besides these, I have many more neon colored, glowing corals but my camera + photography skills SUCK!!! lol

Thanks guys! I think I need a tripod to take real clear pictures. I can never have my hands too steady for the aperture to capture all the light and colors.