Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />wow your tank look great. and that rock anemone is huge.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Hung! I just need to wait for stuff to grow now. No more frag shopping for me.

So my new toy arrived yesterday clap.gif. It a Marine Magic dosing pump with three motors. Minimum dosing range is 0.05 - 0.06 ml a sec. I got it off Ebay and the company is in Hong Kong. Honestly, for $148 it is worth the wait. It took them a week to process my order and another week for the shipping. I am using it to dose my two part and my parameters are all stable; alkalinity @ 12.4 khD and my calcium is near 500 ppm.

Here are some pictures of the Marine Magic and my setup:

5834856802_7cf8967e6f_z.jpg

5834857396_7d96acb29e_z.jpg

5834305477_c240208ca9_z.jpg

Very nice ;) you may want to pick up some 1/2 liter bottles so you don't have to change bottles out too often. What is the maximum output of the pump? I may pick one of these up for my freshwater tank. How well is it calibrated?

(edited)

Very nice ;) you may want to pick up some 1/2 liter bottles so you don't have to change bottles out too often. What is the maximum output of the pump? I may pick one of these up for my freshwater tank. How well is it calibrated?

Roni,

Here is a rundown of the 4 settings that you can dose:

a. S-1 0.05~ 0.075ml / sec. (Droplet dosing - Slow)

b. S-2 0.1~ 0.2 ml / sec. (Droplet dosing – Fast)

c. S-3 0.25~ 0.35 ml / sec.

d. S-4 0.5~ 0.6 ml /sec.

It is calibrated pretty well. I tested it for the first day and I am using S-1 for dosing slowly but for 12 times a day. It dosed almost very accurately. Maybe 0.5 ml off my target amount.

Looks good, does the doser feel like a quality unit.

Jason,

It is decently built and put together. The display is nice and easy to understand. Overall, I think it is looks and operates much better than what one would expect for that price. Hopefully, I won't have problems with it in the future.

For anyone interested I can provide the email address of these people in Hong Kong. They were very helpful and always timely to answer my questions. Also, my pump arrived pretty quickly.

Edited by Reefoholic

Last night my rock anemone which was stationary for the last two years on one spot, decide to move to a new home and walked right over my clam and settled on it. Luckily I had read something about moving am attached clam sometime back on the forums. I clean cut the attached strings of the clam with a razor blade and moved him up on the rock work. The anemone is still moving slowly tho. I dunno what caused him to move really. He had the prime spot in the tank. My clam is opening up nicely but how soon can I tell the operation was a success?

I can't count the number of threads on wamas warning about rock anems, just like I love my btas but I'm always aware of the havoc they can cause.

Dude, tell me all about it! I tried every trick to get rid of that thing. It is like as if he anchored himself on the rock. Any ideas how to get him out?

Ice cube, and water proof massaging tool (take that as what you want, you can look at bed bath and beyon or spencers) as long as its water proof, you can gently massage the anem off (it will take 10-30 min, massage at the foot of the anem, or use ice at the foot (thsi method with take 5-15 min but may damage cellular tissues. Lastly once it starts letting go, you can get a gloved finger under there and very carefully work it loose.

(edited)

Just found my emerald crab dead lying on his back next to my maxima clam. Every body part is intact and he was very active all along. just last night he was moving sh@#! around in the tank, getting on my nerves, I dunno what happened when I was at work today.

What is the life span of emeralds? I only had him for 2 months tho and he molted once... eek.gif

Edited by Reefoholic

The molts can be very convincing. Unless you cracked it open and saw meat, I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Well said! I just saw him bigger than ever. WOW! He lives after all!

Emerald Crab 1 Me 0 dry.gif

(edited)

Here is a working link. It kinda looks like he is arranging the rock work, lol! Anybody know what this is?

Edited by Reefoholic

bump

also after implementing the doser my parameters are stable at:

Calcium 465 ppm

Alkalinity 10.5 dKH

After a lengthy drive to MD, I am now the proud owner of five new and awesome SPS frags. Thank you so very much sportzfish for opening up your house to me and my gf! (however much she hates to tag along to go to some strangers house, most of the time in the middle of nowhere, to "stare at colorful rocks and weird animals".)

Here they are:

Upscales Microclados

5860741211_4c44764ebb_b.jpg

Croyola Plana

5860741869_de935107be_b.jpg

Pink Lemonade

5860740731_295ae6843a_b.jpg

ORA Red Planet Table

5860741247_02b3e2bbf7_b.jpg

Blue Gomezi (not too blue yet)

5861367154_e4900aa882_b.jpg

Full tank shot

5860816245_d18f17cec5_b.jpg

May they all live long and prosper :)

PS: He also gave me a small Ric Yuma that you can see on the sand bed. Thanks sportzfish again!

Not much for now. I have been watching him very closely. He can start moving any time again. I think I wanna do an ocean themed background. As if you are staring beyond the reef. We'll see. I get crazy polyp extension on many of the new frags. I think they are happy where I placed them. Time will tell.

After a lengthy drive to MD, I am now the proud owner of five new and awesome SPS frags. Thank you so very much sportzfish for opening up your house to me and my gf! (however much she hates to tag along to go to some strangers house, most of the time in the middle of nowhere, to "stare at colorful rocks and weird animals".)

Here they are:

Upscales Microclados

5860741211_4c44764ebb_b.jpg

Croyola Plana

5860741869_de935107be_b.jpg

Pink Lemonade

5860740731_295ae6843a_b.jpg

ORA Red Planet Table

5860741247_02b3e2bbf7_b.jpg

Blue Gomezi (not too blue yet)

5861367154_e4900aa882_b.jpg

Full tank shot

5860816245_d18f17cec5_b.jpg

May they all live long and prosper :)

PS: He also gave me a small Ric Yuma that you can see on the sand bed. Thanks sportzfish again!

You are welcome! Looks like they have alot of room to grow into!

BTW, I live in VA.... ;)

The tank looks great

Thanks man! I am getting great coral growth thanks to my amazingly cheap and stable doser and Brightwell Reef Code A-B. Just ordered a ReefKeeper MLC with two blue and one white moon lights. I can't wait to install them on my hood.

Sweet! I like your lighting on this tank. Is it still a radium augmented by the purple plus and blue plus lamps? How long have you had the purple plus installed? I've not tried them, but have used the KZ Fiji Purples for about a 2 years with success. My foray into using ATI Pro Colors for red highlights was a bust. They weren't worth the money as they changed color too quickly.

(edited)

Sweet! I like your lighting on this tank. Is it still a radium augmented by the purple plus and blue plus lamps? How long have you had the purple plus installed? I've not tried them, but have used the KZ Fiji Purples for about a 2 years with success. My foray into using ATI Pro Colors for red highlights was a bust. They weren't worth the money as they changed color too quickly.

I have a radium 150w 20K and 2 x ATI Blue Plus and 2 x ATI Purple Plus. Radium gives a nice blue tint and purple plus is just for the pop. My eyes got used to how the corals look now so I can't really tell the difference any more. I am adding RKL moon lights with the moon cycle soon so that's gonna be another thing to stare at at night.

Edited by Reefoholic

• 3 weeks later...

I really want a bubble tip anemone for my clowns. How much trouble would a small one cause in my tank you think? Do they sit on SPS and such? Anyone with well behaving Bubble tip anem.?

Thanks.