Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

Thanks Roni. God knows I try with that camera in my hand, sometimes on top of a chair trying to balance and stay steady to picture the zoas and the rics.

I also started a vodka dosing regimen since my SPS weren't coloring up as much as I would like them to. Things are looking much better.

I read an article on the advanced aquarist website on vodka dosing and decided to try. Here is how I dose:

First and foremost, test your water. Test and record Ca, Alk, NO3, and phosphates. Of course this is assuming salinity and temp are already in perfect condition. This step is important since one would need a reference point after 2 weeks to see how much of a nutrient reduction is achieved. Then move on....

First 1-3 days: 0.1 ml for every 25 gal of water.

4-7 days following: Add 0.1 ml for every 25 gallon to the existing dose. So it becomes 0.2 ml in my case.

This is the end of week 1. For the second week (which started today):

Add 0.5 ml to your daily dosage. So in my case I will dose 0.7 ml daily for 1 week.

After two weeks are out, check for NO3 and Phosphates and if it reads zero or undetectable, then cut the dose in half. This is the maintaining dose. In my case it will be 0.35 ml.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

I think the most important point here is to do this as a fully controlled and observed experiment. I inspect my corals and fishes everyday to determine if they are being affected in any way.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Some more pictures under Royal Blue LEDs. After I started vodka dosing, the PE is amazing... The water is so much clearer. My friends coming to visit even noticed the clarity.

On this note, I might switch my lighting back to MHs and T5s. We'll see... I did a little research online, also waiting for months for my corals to color up under LEDs, I concluded that MHs and T5s are the way to go in order to get vibrant and rich colors from SPS. I believe I already achieved great water chemistry and conditions, so I am almost 100% positive that it is the lights...

Here we go:

6705364045_69d1823c59_b.jpg

6705359359_c91a05e5d4_b.jpg

6705361835_6d96238c84_b.jpg

I also need help deciding which MH bulb to get.

Ushido 250W 20K or Phoenix 250W 20K ? (Radium does not produce DE 250 bulbs yet, sadly)

Edited by Reefoholic

I like the phoenix 250 10K + T5 actinic supplement (though the radium would be better). I think you can get good color with your LED but probably need to supplement some of the spectrum from their base like Bill did.

Roni,

I have been supplementing with 2 T5s but there is no use. I love the sunrise/sunset function, the controllable intensity of the LEDs but my corals have all lost color, every single one of them. I ramped the lights up slowly, took my time and all over a period of almost 6 months (I installed my AI fixture in August) but really, I feel like I am kinda stuck here.

Maybe the amount of LEDs are not enough for my tank, I dunno. But I definitely want to go back to MH and T5 combo just to see if it really is the LEDs...

Of the tanks I've seen, my personal preference is:

1) radium + VHO

2) T5 with good reflectors

3) phoenix 14K MH + T5

4) LED

This is assuming all things being equal and also is just my personal opinion. This also isn't counting the DIY LED setups or the radions/maxspects, which I believe cover a large portion of the spectrum.

Here are some amazing LED only setups.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852268

Ultimately, it's up to the individual. Some people love the look of LED; some don't.

0.5 NO3

Phosphate undetectable

API test kits.

I dunno what it is about vodka dosing but it just works if you do a balanced dose an close monitor the progress. I also supplement with microbacter7.

• 1 month later...

A quick update on my tank progress:

After implementing mh/t5 fixture back, corals, especially the SPS are growing like crazy and very happy. I have been dosing more cal and Alk to meet the growing demands.

My ORA Red Planet is finally getting some nice color, as well as the staghorn which was about to whither off under AI Sol Blues.

On the other hand, I am dealing with a massive flat worm invasion. I believe these worms hitchhiked on a frag and now kinda thriving in my tank. I siphon out as many as possible every other day and my six line is doing everything that he can to keep them under control. Unfortunately, the rate that these things reproduce is insane. I am considering dropping an A bomb of flat worm exit on them. Any ideas? Has anyone seen bad side effects of this medical treatment? I am a little bit cautious and concerned to dose any chemicals in my tank now that everything is growing.

In addition to the flat worms, I discovered an aspastia on one of the clams this morning. I need to take care of that soon before it spreads all around.

I think these are signs of maturity o the tank and unfortunately, negligence on my part. I know better now to dip and quarantine corals and etc before placing them in the DT.

I will take some pictures soon to update you guys of my progress.

strategy that's worked for me.

siphon out your flatworms as much as you can. change carbon before dosing. dose 1/2 dose for FE and siphon out the "strings" of dead flatworms that occur. change carbon again. The FE should be fine with everything but the flatworms release a toxin when they die, which in large quantities can be toxic to tank inhabitants.

tpallas,

@ work at the moment. I will take pictures and upload some as soon as I get home.

As promised some before and after pictures at last!!! These are before the installation of my MH/T5 fixture when the corals were under AI Sol Blues:

Before

6487099339_8e15d2fa9d.jpg

After

6965491847_31dbf00eb7.jpg

Before

6487126043_309dbbafb5.jpg

After

6965492221_f01a7e8370.jpg

Before

6116446040_96782c0f4b.jpg

After

6965491661_d8034ebc9b.jpg

I don't have a before shot for this one...

6819369662_4857b32378.jpg

More to come... I think the difference is OBVIOUS!!!

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Dudes and gals,

Recently there has been a red turf algae explosion in my tank. It is spreading out like grass on everything, even on the clam shells.

I think I got it from a member here on WAMAS since my only very recent additions were members frags from the last meeting.

I have read many things online on forums and articles and so on. What is the best way to battle this beast? Since my tank is only a 20 gal I can't put any tangs in there to graze on the algae.

Your help on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by Reefoholic

I think your corals look much better now, I think you made a wise choice to go back to what you know works. How about an FTS.!!

Sorry, no advice on the turf algae. As long as its not GHA, Bryopsis or Valonia I dont really worry about it. I kinda like the red algaes (except cyano) ..

If it looks like cotton candy, that stuff is nasty. I had a sea hare eat it, but that is about it. It would't take long to clear out a 20 gal.

Thanks guys.

Travis, I will get a FTS when I go home today and post it. I am very very happy that I switched from LEDs (AI Sol Blue) to MH/T5 fixture. Best decision ever!

Bill, I think it is red turf algae. It looks like maroon grass. Maybe a sea urchin will eat this kind? Anyone with experience?

Here are some more pictures with a FTS!!! Enjoy!

7004099241_0d6bf654d3.jpg

7004098825_553717fa8b.jpg

7004097987_6b8c86306f_b.jpg

And this is the algae I am talking about:

6857983456_86bfe792ac_c.jpg

Is this RTA??? How to battle this yuck-ness!?!?!?

I have that algae, my Kole eats it.

Not sure what to add to a 20 to eat it, I'll keep an eye on hermits to see if they eat it as well.

Edited by surf&turf

Nice tank, I have had some red turf algae and had great success with mexican turbo snails. But they are hard to keep alive so adding only one or two small ones should help keep it in check. That and using rowaphos I don't really see it anymore except spots in the sand, plus all our bristle tooth tangs love it.

<br />I really like your tank and aquascape. It looks much bigger than 20 gallons!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks! I tried to replicate a cliff reef as much as I could. It might look like a bigger tank but it is indeed a tiny 20 gal. I left plenty of space in the front and up high for the SPS to grow, although everything seems like growing into each other.

<br />Thanks for the FTS. Tanks looks great, your corals all have very nice color, and your water looks very clean and clear. So, when are you gonna upgrade.?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Travis! I would love to upgrade soon but it is too much money right now. I think I am gonna stick with what I have for a while now.

I also envy how specious and clean your tank is. Looking at your pictures make me wanna trim down some.