What salt do you use?

TonyInVa

What salt do you use. I have been using Oceanic for about five years. I don't have any problems with it. I believe most people use Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals. Do they cost less and give the same results?

I use IO and find that it works really well. I add a lot of 2-part anyway, so I see no reason for RC. I used Tropic Marin with excellent results, but it is really pricey and not worth the extra $. I used Oceanic for a while, and I had a very bad experience. I am not sure if it was the salt, but it is the only thing that changed, as far as I could tell. Obviously, many people are quite successful with it, so your results may vary.

Edited by quazi

I also like oceanic... it means I have to dose little to no calcium with my softy tank :)

TM, although I'm not sure its worth the extra cost. Its a big low in Mg, but since I run my Mg at 1500-1600 to keep bryopsis down that's OK. The cost of epson salts and Mg-Cl (Dead Sea Works) is insignificant, and I can mix it up and dump it into the IO and not have anything precipitate out. I've had that happen a few times with IO. TM seems to be more consistent with the levels of Ca and alkalinity that IO or other mixes. For me, that's worth the extra cost. You can get it for around $75 at Roozens for 200 gallons, which makes not hugely more expensive. Also, even if its all caked up, it dissolves well with no residue left. I seem to recall that being a problem with some other mixes...

"You can get it for around $75 at Roozens for 200 gallons, which makes not hugely more expensive."

OK, I get 200 gallons of IO for around $40. Seems like a lot more to me. Each to his own. I like TM, and think it is better than IO. Just too expensive for me. If you can afford it, I say go for it!

I started with IO, but was always dosing calcium & magnesium. I tried Oceanic, but it was leaving some kind of precipitate on my equipment. I've been using Reef Crystals for about a year and a half and am very happy with the results, and they're only 5-10% more than regular IO, which seems to be worth it.

I always used Oceanic. I would buy (3) 200 gallon buckets for $100 when That Fish Place had a sale. I did that a few times, sold a bunch of extra buckets. Once time there were Oceanic reps in the store giving "buy 3 get one free" coupons, too. 4 buckets for $100. Deals can be had if you wait and look.

The thing I liked about Oceanic is how fast it dissolves. I always mix mine up and put it in my tank right away, so that is nice.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I used RC for a while till I got a bad batch that messed up things in my old set up so I switched to Aquamedic reef salt and loved it. That ended up getting too pricy and aquacave was the only one selling it so I switch to BW Neomarine about a year ago and love it.