Serious Health Warning -- when handling corals

johnnybv

Glad to hear it things seem to be working out for you John - and that you went to the hospital in time.

I just got done with doing a water change and a bunch of tank maintanance. It makes me feel better about looking like I am getting ready to do a proctology exam on a horse wearing these every time I am in the tank messing around, when I hear stuff like this:

5042.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

Bob,

I think John is working on a reply to your sale idea with one of his fingers.... too bad he can't post THAT here ;)

ROFLMAO

---------------------

gds

ROFLMAO

---------------------

gds

We do have our red and white $19.95 sale this weeked.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34071

I also have an aussie shipement with lots of acros, scolys etc coming today. should be incredible stuff but $$$, so those of you that want colonies let me know asap, but I think in the end very few people are going to want to spend what a fair price will be on these colonies, my costs on them are expensive!

I will get pictues up later this afternoon.

John

Not so sure... from all appearances the aussie echinata's grow very slooooowly. Might be worth the price to get something you can display this year... or next...

bob

Latex gloves should be fine too. The problem with them is they're not long enough to prevent water from entering. The water harbors all that great bacteria we want in our tanks but don't want in an open wound. Just make sure to cover any wounds first then wash hands throughly. Maybe even consider those water resistant band aids and the paint on water resistant band aid for open wounds when before putting your hands in the tank.

I would imagine that the more natural the soap the safer it will be for the tank.

Actually the answer for cuts and corals may not be in your first-aid kit but really in your frag-kit- Super Glue!

Hope your thumb gets better John and thank you for being willing to share this experience.

Yikes, super glue burns like mad. Aside from pulling it off your skin with some of your skin too, you need acetone to take it off, which also burns. I don't know about that. I wouldn't use it.

Actually the answer for cuts and corals may not be in your first-aid kit but really in your frag-kit- Super Glue!

Hope your thumb gets better John and thank you for being willing to share this experience.

Yikes, super glue burns like mad. Aside from pulling it off your skin with some of your skin too, you need acetone to take it off, which also burns. I don't know about that. I wouldn't use it.

Actually super glue and it's derivatives are used all the time in the military and medical field. Now I'm not suggesting anyone should use it when they would normally need stitches but I've seen it used plenty for small cuts and other things like that which need to get water proofed. After a couple of days it just falls off.

Actually super glue and it's derivatives are used all the time in the military and medical field. Now I'm not suggesting anyone should use it when they would normally need stitches but I've seen it used plenty for small cuts and other things like that which need to get water proofed. After a couple of days it just falls off.

The super glues methyl and ethyl cyanoacrylate used for reefing are not appropriate for medical use. Please do not use these for medical use. The formula for medical superglue is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate. There are toxicity issues with ethyl cyanoacrylate.

John,

Hope you get better soon.

Nadir

Povidone iodine (betadine) is a great disinfecting wash if you get a cut. Bugs really can't become resistant to it- it's an oxidizing agent (like bleach), not an antibiotic like bacitracin or those other ointments. That's why it's also good for AEFW, monti nudis, and other macro-pests. Just be careful not to stain your clothes (or furniture, floors, etc) with it.

just a thought, when surfing a reef and one wipes out we usually put lemon juice from a real lemon ( lime for the north americans) we call the green ones lemons, amyways we use that and aloe vera. could the use of these two simple and readily accesible plants be of any use in a situation like this? i am wondering since it is sorta the same.

Lemon juice, vinegar, ammonia and other mild acids are used to neuralize the sting caused by stinger cells (nematocysts,etc..) found in certain corals and jellyfish. You should still use an antiseptic to prevent infection.

just a thought, when surfing a reef and one wipes out we usually put lemon juice from a real lemon ( lime for the north americans) we call the green ones lemons, amyways we use that and aloe vera. could the use of these two simple and readily accesible plants be of any use in a situation like this? i am wondering since it is sorta the same.
Edited by Jan

A thumb update......Its still here! The antibiotics are working, the swelling and pussing has pretty much gone away. Its still sore, but no where near what it was. I will be going back to the DR tomorrow to help furthur the research on this topic, and provide the needed info that the regime he tried worked. Thanks for everyones concern, and lets learn from this.....

John

Not applicable in this situation. John's problem was that he developed a bacterial infection. This was not a response to stinging by typical nematocysts.

From WebMD on the *home* treatment of coral scrapes and cuts: http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/marine-stings...reatment?page=2

Most minor coral scrapes or cuts can be treated at home.

Wash the wound for 5 minutes with a soft brush or towel and large amounts of warm water and soap (mild dishwashing soap, such as Ivory, works well). Cleaning the wound as soon as possible may reduce the risk of infection, scarring, and tattooing of the skin from coral material left in the wound. See how to clean a wound.

After washing, rinse the wound with a large amount of fresh water.

After rinsing with fresh water, rinse the wound again with a solution of one-half hydrogen peroxide and one-half water.

After rinsing with a solution of one-half hydrogen peroxide and one-half water, rinse again with fresh water.

Stop mild bleeding with direct pressure to the wound. See how to stop bleeding.

Use an antibiotic ointment, such as polymyxin B sulfate (for example, Polysporin) or bacitracin. Put the ointment lightly on the wound. The ointment will keep a bandage from sticking to the wound. Be sure to read the product label about skin sensitivity. If a skin rash or itching under the bandage develops, stop using the ointment. The rash may mean you had an allergic reaction to the ointment. Antibiotic ointments that contain neomycin may have an increased risk of causing an allergic reaction.

Consider bandaging the wound. You may need to protect your wound from getting dirty or irritated. If available, use a nonstick dressing. Be sure to read the product label for correct use.

Clean the wound thoroughly before bandaging it to reduce the risk of infection occurring under the bandage.

Apply a clean bandage when it gets wet or soiled to further help prevent infection.

If a bandage is stuck to a scab, soak it in warm water to soften the scab and make the bandage easier to remove.

Watch for symptoms of a skin infection.

Be patient. Coral scrapes and cuts may take weeks and sometimes even months to heal completely.

Lemon juice, vinegar, ammonia and other mild acids are used to neuralize the sting caused by stinger cells (nematocysts,etc..) found in certain corals and jellyfish. You should still use an antiseptic to prevent infection.

John I'm glad you are Ok and you posted this topic! you are so honest and always been so helpfull.

Jan you are so smart. It sounds like your a Doctor!

Thank you Curtis. I enjoy sharing my knowledge. Basic first aid is something everyone that scubas or works with marine life should know because of these very same situations. No, I'm no doctor and don't claim to be one. I just have over 20 years experience of working in various venues within the medical field. Out of those 20 the last 15 were involved treating people in an unstable/uncrontrolled environment stabalizing them until they got to the proper hospital. I also taught many others how to do the same. Everyone will get more insight into who I am when I finish my brief bio. It's difficult to condense over 20+ years.

John I'm glad you are Ok and you posted this topic! you are so honest and always been so helpfull.

Jan you are so smart. It sounds like your a Doctor!

• 3 weeks later...

From Divers' Alert Network:

coral cuts, scrapes, stings

coral scrapes

DAN contact info

(Every active diver should be a member.)

re the OP, I was breaking up a large, large, large monti cap that has thoroughly overrun the tank and destroyed many other $$$ specimens the other day. there was a section that was very thick and hard to break. when i bent on it real hard and it finally snapped, my fingers went right over a sharp edge from where I had broken off a piece previously. Result: inch long slice. I got it under running hot water -- as hot as I could stand it -- and pulled the cut open to flush it fully. I also bled it out constantly. Alternated spreading and flushing and bleeding it for about ten minutes. Poured antiseptic all in it, then put neosporin all over it and covered with a bandage. Though sore for a few days, healed fine. Key, though, I believe was the thorough (albeit painful) cleansing.