Tatooed fish

paul b

I know everyone has seen those dyed freshwater fish that are injected with green, pink or blue dyes. Yes I know it's wierd, cruel, mean, whatever, but I just came back from the LFS around the corner and now you can buy fish like that but they have names, hearts, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies etc on them. Crystal clear in flourescent colors. They even have them stripped and checkerboarded like a checker cab. I don't know how they do it but I think it's interesting, but yes, wierd.

Maybe I could make my hippo tang read "feed Me Worms" or "Eat at Joes"

I could make him green, pink, or purple all at the same time.

I could take a yellow tang and paint him to look like a moorish Idol. I'll be rich

Some of the fish specifically the zebra danios sold under the name Glo Fish are actually genetically engineered al la jelly fish DNA to display those neon colors. The "tattoo" tetras are sick though.

Do you consider it cruel if they use a needle to inject dye into the fish? Since I'm about to kill a crab I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were

I am not the one to ask being I eat fish almost every day. People who have cats feed them cat food made out of fish, women who wear cosmedics are putting menhaden oil on their faces, In NY we call that fish bunker, it is loaded with oil and the fish can't be used for anything else. I take a fish oil pill every day, that oil comes from cod or shark livers.

Tuna fish in a can comes from, guess where? A tuna. We ourselves are involved in a hobby that takes fish from the sea where virtually all of them die in captivity in a tank. They have no chance to spawn where their offspring will return to the sea.

When the hundreds of millions of tons of fish are caught each week for us and our cats to eat, many many more tons are caught as a by product and die on the deck of the ship before being dumped back into the sea.

I myself inject guppies with fish oil so I could feed them to lionfish.

We catch mantis shrimp and kill them, we kill aptasia anemones, some of us cycle a tank with a dead shrimp, that was at one time alive. We feed our fish plankton which were a living creature.

My family has been in the seafood business since time began so do I feel bad if someone tatoos a fish.

I never thought about it.

Tattoo bearing folks could comment on that.

i'm tatted so i will comment. i guess we do it in our own free will so it isnt cruel to us. but if you break it down to needle and substance....is medicating(substance) a fish against its will, cruel?

i guess that would depend on how you feel about it...emotions aside with a stoic reasoning, injecting a fish with a non toxic dye would be like injecting us with a placebo.

that being said, dont flame me....i wouldnt do it myself...... just making a statement.

Edited by GaryL

This hasn't hurt at all so far - it is kind of like getting a massage.......from He77

To each his own. The wife has some glo fish and loves them. We kept danio's and tetra's that were injected for years. I don't see a freshwater fish necessarily "feeling" that much, if anything at all. But that is just my elementary thinking on the subject.

Where are the pics!?!?!!?!?!?

Now on to the ink - I LOVE tat's :)

6919_103193443031162_100000215195983_82171_1624628_n.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

that being said, dont flame me....i wouldnt do it myself...... just making a statement.

Gary, I would never flame you or anyone else, I also would not inject myself with anything or inject a fish to change it's color. But I also would not eat myself like I do to fish. It's just me.

I do however feed fish to anemones and corals

Gary, I would never flame you or anyone else, I also would not inject myself with anything or inject a fish to change it's color. But I also would not eat myself like I do to fish. It's just me.

I do however feed fish to anemones and corals

i was meaning others who might flame me.

sick tatt sikryd!!

you tattoo dogs information on them, do you consider that cruel, and who knows there tolerance to pain is, if it even bothers them at all..

Like I said, I do not do it, I think it is stupid but I would imagine someone is making money on them and money is what makes the world go around. I also don't like it when I see those goldfish in those little bowls in carnivals and you have to throw ping pong balls into the bowl to win one. But as for pain. (I am going to get myself into trouble here)

I dont think fish feel "pain" as we perceive it to be. I hope not anyway because a fish is an animal that almost never is allowed to die of old age. Almost every fish born is eaten alive. They are near the bottom of the food chain and it seems that an animal that was designed to be eaten alive should not have evolved to feel pain. 99% of baby fish are eaten almost immediately. I myself have numerous times caught a flounder with a hook and thrown it back just to catch it a few minutes later. You would think with a big hole in their mouth, they would not eat again in a few minutes.

I have seen in my tank a hippo tang get it's mouth completely torn off by a trigger fish only to keep trying to eat even though it had no mouth. I have seen sharks with their intestines hanging out from being bitten by another shark just to turn around and try to eat it's own intestines.

I know that many people "love" their fish and don't want to see them hurt. I have had fish for almost 60 years and from all those years of keeping them and diving with them over 300 times, In my opinion, they don't feel pain. They feel something of course, but I don't think and I hope they do not feel pain.

If we find that they do, then we should not keep them captive.

Just my opinion.

Lol must suck to work in that sweat shop. I can see it now a room full of foreign kids with sharpies drawing all over fish. :fish: What will they think of next.

i was meaning others who might flame me.

sick tatt sikryd!!

Thanks

Chad is that your back????

Yep - work in progress.

Those fish are just plain crazy looking. Not something we would pick up, but to each their own.

+1 on the kids in the sweat shop :(

Some of the things done to alter the appearance of fish, cause physical trauma (from a tissue standpoint, not subjective or perceived "pain"), and compromise the health and longevity of the fish. This includes injecting dyes, scraping scales off to "paint" the fish with dyes, and any other procedure of this nature. Altered fish usually die very prematurely, and the ones that don't eventually lose most if not all of the coloration from the dye.

Genetic engineering doesn't compromise the health of individual fish, but genetically changing/creating any species of plant or animal is like playing with fire.

There's a difference between killing an animal for food, and selling a physically damaged living fish to make a buck from unsuspecting noob aquarists, who keep coming back for more when the fish die prematurely after having endured an unnecessary period of impaired health.

Some of the things done to alter the appearance of fish, cause physical trauma (from a tissue standpoint, not subjective or perceived "pain"), and compromise the health and longevity of the fish. This includes injecting dyes, scraping scales off to "paint" the fish with dyes, and any other procedure of this nature. Altered fish usually die very prematurely, and the ones that don't eventually lose most if not all of the coloration from the dye.

got any evidence to back this statement up or is this supposed to make us feel guilty for buying the latest fad?

Genetic engineering doesn't compromise the health of individual fish, but genetically changing/creating any species of plant or animal is like playing with fire.

There's a difference between killing an animal for food, and selling a physically damaged living fish to make a buck from unsuspecting noob aquarists, who keep coming back for more when the fish die prematurely after having endured an unnecessary period of impaired health.

I completely agree

got any evidence to back this statement up or is this supposed to make us feel guilty for buying the latest fad?

First google result: http://www.sydneycichlid.com/dyed-fish.htm

Thanks Sam :)

About 3 years ago, I did a lot of searching and reading of information on those practices. That was my original reason for disliking Congressional Aquarium, having noted the extensive efforts people had gone to, fruitlessly, to get the owner to stop selling compromised animals.

Lol must suck to work in that sweat shop. I can see it now a room full of foreign kids with sharpies drawing all over fish. :fish: What will they think of next.

They could have at least enslaved some kids that new how to draw...