My new coral greenhouse

ctenophore

I am terrible with zoa names. Pretty ones though.

P1010025.jpg

Watermellons

I just loved how this one came out. The base is not actually green, that is just an artifact of the camera. 1200 micromol PAR.

P1010071.jpg

Very cool shot, I did, however see one at the Marine Scene Saturday that had a dark green base that slowly turned to full red about 1/4 way up the tentacles. On top of that, it was the biggest anemone I've ever seen! I thought this was it for a second until I read the caption...

A very cool build! And that rbta tank is gonna be amazing.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want my massive rabbitfish?

Possibly. The small one I got from Rik ate all my zoanthids in the display. So it would have to go in the sps tank but there are some zoas in there right now.

Possibly. The small one I got from Rik ate all my zoanthids in the display. So it would have to go in the sps tank but there are some zoas in there right now.

Well let me know. Mine is in a FOWLR, so I can't attest to its taste for corals (or lack thereof). I'd really like to replace him with some other, smaller fish to make the tank more interesting :)

This is so impressive. Also a great opportunity for other members to learn from what you are doing. You mention that most of the corals cant take the full sun, does this include the SPS? I figured many of them are in pretty shallow water and sometimes even protrude at times from the ocean.

Good question. Right now I have a 5500kW manual-start generator but as soon as I have enough livestock out there (and cashflow coming in) I am upgrading to a whole-house 200A unit with auto-transfer switch.

why not consider solar panels for power in the future to be less dependent on the power company. lord knows they arent that great in MD.

This is so impressive. Also a great opportunity for other members to learn from what you are doing. You mention that most of the corals cant take the full sun, does this include the SPS? I figured many of them are in pretty shallow water and sometimes even protrude at times from the ocean.

Thanks David. Most of the species we keep come from deeper water, at least not the tidal corals that are exposed at low tide. But I am finding that the sps that I do have can handle more light than I previously thought. So can some other "low light" corals like cyphastrea.

why not consider solar panels for power in the future to be less dependent on the power company. lord knows they arent that great in MD.

Typically when the power is out, solar panels won't be working anyway. Ice/snow storms, hurricanes, thunderstorms, etc.

I am looking at alternative energy, mainly below ground in form of water-source geothermal heat pumps. Passive solar heating is also a possibility if I can figure out where to store the hot water during the day for use at night.

• 1 month later...

Here are some update pics of what's been happening in the greenhouse.

Got a light mover installed to run some supplemental lights to help the sps keep going now that winter is nearing. I decided to try 12x54w T5 aquascience 22k. They are very blue and make the place visible from the road. I have reports that it looks very pretty. The only thing I don't like about this is the T5s take up too much space. I am going to put 2x400w radiums on another tank and compare the results. When I get all the supplemental lights going, maybe it will be visible from a passenger jet?

PA160016.jpg

I'm also using the light mover to act as a surge device. I made a bracket that holds 4 (room for 6) tunze streams; as the mover travels the length of the tank, the corals get a short blast of current which simulates a wave pretty well. It helps keep the bottom clear of detritus and algae too. Very happy with how this is working so far.

PA160018.jpg

Here are some pics of what's growing in this tub:

Neon green sinularia (growth champion)

PA160024.jpg

Red table acro

PA160026.jpg

Granulosa

PA170033.jpg

Bali tricolor

PA170037.jpg

Pink pocillopora

PA190063.jpg

Milli

PA190064.jpg

Random fuzzy acro

PA190065.jpg

Just made these today. Planning to make about 50 more if these do well out here. Superman M. digi

PA280085.jpg

Nice choice on the bulbs. I run the AquaScience bulbs and like them. Very blue with a ton of pop..I bet that does look very cool at night! I wanted to compare them to the ATI blue+, but haven't yet.

I've been looking for a superman digi..it is hard to find a real one as far as I can tell..had no luck in finding one. Put me on the list lol.

_Matt

Thanks guys.

Matt, I think they are very similar to the ATI b+. I am going to get some 3' ones for a different tank so I can run them side by side with ATI.

Yes this is the original superman digi, I have had it since 05. Slower growing than other digis. Should be available at area LFS within a few months.

the majority of wind power options dont really work in most of MD, parents looked into this at their farm and the few companies they found only sell to a very restricted part of MD, there just isnt constant enough wind to make it worth the money it costs.

Solar hot water heater on the other had has done wonders there, its an inline hot water heater and has saved a bunch of money.

this set up is as everyone says really amazing. i hope to get to see it in person some day.

quick question on your BTAs, do you cut them or are they splitting on their own?

If you ever want more zoa's just post up i would be happy to give for a grow out and im sure others would as well, could be the cost of admission to the ctenophore National aquarium and comes with a free dolphin and orca show at the end.

Had a chance to see the greenhouse tonight when I picked up my CoralRx from Justin and this is much more enormous than it looks in pictures! What's that song by the Gin Blossoms? Jealousy...

What a massive endeavor - absolutely amazing scope! Wish I had more time on my hands, OK, wish I had any time on my hands, so I could help out with this more and watch it grow!