Major Disappointment......

steveoutlaw

Well, everything was going well in my 40g breeder. All of my SPS and LPS had their polyps extended, they loved meal time and all was right with the world. Well, I went to Belgium for 7 days and I came home to disaster. All of my SPS frags are gone......bleached with no tissue. The only LPS I have left is a meat coral.

I left the tank in control of my 12 year old daughter, but only showed her how to reset the plug in GFCI if the power went out..........I never told her to periodically check on the tank. Well, something tripped it so I don't know how long it has been off. My clowns and my yellow tang survived, but all of my SPS are gone. This really sucks, because I never told her to check on the tank........I just relied on that piece of *@ plug in GFCI. Well, tomorrow I'm changing out the plug to a real GFCI because as soon as I pushed the reset button.....everything was fine. So I'm at a loss as to what caused it to trip, but I know that never happened with my in-wall GFCIs. If they tripped.......I could find the reason.

Word to the wise........don't rely on that plug in crap......get the real thing. Now I have to start over!

That is just a little too cruel. I hate reading posts like yours because it is a too real reminder of the many contingencies that we need to plan for. Best of luck on the rebuild.

Sorry, Steve. Will you make the F&F social? I could pass on a few frags, including a frag of your pink birds nest I got from you a year and a half ago.

Hey Steve I am really sorry to hear this. I am away for a week but when I come back you are welcome to get whatever frags I have.

Shows how important redundancy is. Live and learn.

Always good to have two independent trains of equipment so if you lost one the other would be able to keep the tank alive.

Good luck with the rebuild.

This is an example of why I am so hesistant to hookup to GFCI.

I have managed to survive one electrocution, so I am good to go ;)

Steve... I am so sorry to hear this... I don't know that I have much I can give you, but you are welcome to anything I do have. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll see if I have any of it.

Up late with a child incident and saw this. GFCI plugs have to be matched to the breaker as far as amperage otherwise when the power goes off and turns itself back on it will trip itself. Also, some of the plug in ones do that anyway, even if they're matched. By the way, the sockets will do that if they're not properly matched, too. Sorry to hear about the losses, sounds like if your fish are still alive that it wasn't that long that the power was out. Could have been something else is my guess. Don't be too hard on your daughter, there's something that probably happened that she wouldn't have been able to control even if she had noticed. Look at the bright side, this makes how to swap out into the new tank a bit easier and you can spend more time making sure that you're planned properly!

I am sorry to hear about this :(

Some of the plugin GFCIs don't come back on. The ones on my 65 system all come right back on every single time, but the one on my clown tank never comes back on - if the electricity goes out that tank stays without power, but we haven't had any power outages for a very log time.

Steve,

This is not good news at all. That is the last time that I send you TDY to Europe. :lol2:

Listen I certainly have some excellent Purple Digitatas that you gave me about 10 months ago that are very nice. I could bring them in to work if you think they would make it or we certainly can arrange something else whenever you're ready for it.

Have a nice couple of days off, have a cold one :drink: and see you later in the week.

Don't be too hard on your daughter, there's something that probably happened that she wouldn't have been able to control even if she had noticed. Look at the bright side, this makes how to swap out into the new tank a bit easier and you can spend more time making sure that you're planned properly!

I'm not being hard on my daughter at all.......it was my stupid fault. I should have asked her to check on it more often. As far as what it was, the only thing that wasn't plugged into the GFCI was one powerhead so there was still some flow there, but nothing else.

This is not good news at all. That is the last time that I send you TDY to Europe. :lol2:

Let's not be too hasty here!

Aw, Steve... you know I would have dropped by to check on it for you.

12-year-olds can be pretty literal. I know she is eager to help; just needs better instructions, and a couple of phone numbers. And you need another powerhead or two on regular power. Did the blue xenia survive??

bob

Aw, Steve... you know I would have dropped by to check on it for you.

12-year-olds can be pretty literal. I know she is eager to help; just needs better instructions, and a couple of phone numbers. And you need another powerhead or two on regular power. Did the blue xenia survive??

bob

I know.......I'm completely blaming myself for this one because I didn't give her good instructions.

The Blue Xenia did survive, along with a meat or donut coral (not sure which it is), the green trumpet and my tubbs blues.......although they aren't looking the greatest. The death and devistation was with my SPS.

Steve, I'm sorry to hear this. I too lost all my SPS recently due to an unexplainable RTN event. It sucks. The RBTA I got from you just split a couple of weeks ago so if you need a nem, let me know. ;)