Move a tank with water??? Well... SOME water...

lanman

I have a 58 gallon tank, on a sturdy wood stand, with a 40-gallon sump.

If I take out all but about 6" of water from the display, and all of the water I can from the sump...

Do you think three people could slide it 5 feet across a linoleum floor without messing anything up? (and I'm not worried about the linoleum - just the tank/rocks/corals/fish.

Opinions??

bob

I think it's possible.

if you get those large furniture movers...the size of a small plate and place them under each corner...it would slide without a problem.

Just have someone tilt it slightly to get it under the corners and you should not have a problem.

I have a 58 gallon tank, on a sturdy wood stand, with a 40-gallon sump.

If I take out all but about 6" of water from the display, and all of the water I can from the sump...

Do you think three people could slide it 5 feet across a linoleum floor without messing anything up? (and I'm not worried about the linoleum - just the tank/rocks/corals/fish.

Opinions??

bob

Oh, I was just have a conversation with someone about this this afternoon. I was told a story about a person trying to move a 55 gallon tank with about 1/3 of the water still in up a flight od stairs. While moving the tank up the stairs the seams busted. The tank needs to remain plumb. Same theory as when you set up a tank and use cushion to level it off. Any pressure while the tank is off plumb will add stress to the seams hence weakening the seams, and possibly causing the seams to come apart. I think he said 9lbs of water for every gallon would be hitting up against the walls. This is what was explained to me.

I've considered making some 'rollers' out of 1" PVC... or putting silicone spray on the linoleum... main thing I need to avoid is a sudden 'jerk' that will send rocks crashing, water sloshing, etc...

bob

I just moved a 54 gallon corner tank with a 5 inch sandbed. Took out 2/3 of the water and it was no problem. I only moved it a few inches (twice :blush: ) but once you get it moving it should be fine.

Watch for any divots in the linoleum than it could get hung up on and push from the bottom :)

Good luck!

Laura

I weight the pros and cons when attempting something like this. Is it worth a complete failure and then having to reset it up anyway.....could be worth it if you make it without a problem, but if there is a problem it will likely take 3x longer and more work than if you did it better in the first place.

Just my .02

Just don't do it. Not worth the risk.

The issue is the way the stand (and tank) will rack and twist as you push on it. Glass tanks do well when all the angles are 90 degrees, not as parallelagrams (geez, how old am I that I have no idea how to spell that?)

Could happen durring the move or weeks or months later.

Three people can't carry a 58 gallon tank with a little water in it? Just take your live rock out after you've drained most of the water and move the tank.

Like Jan said

The tank needs to remain plumb.

If the stand is very strong and very rigid it can be done. Remember folks, he's not going up a flight of stairs, just across the room. That being said, is is easy to bust a seam as you move it.

Would it be possible to put the new 40 you're planning on adding in that location and then transfer the stuff to it and then use the 58 as the new frag tank?

Like Jan said

If the stand is very strong and very rigid it can be done. Remember folks, he's not going up a flight of stairs, just across the room. That being said, is is easy to bust a seam as you move it.

Would it be possible to put the new 40 you're planning on adding in that location and then transfer the stuff to it and then use the 58 as the new frag tank?

Way too late for that... I've already built my frag rack!!

Fullrack.jpg

This is a very sturdy stand - and I am planning to make the initial 1" or so move using a hydraulic jack - so I can put pressure against the bottom of the stand to 'break it loose' if it salt-encrusted to the floor, etc. I'm aware that I don't want to lift one end any distance and 'rack' the tank. That's why I thought a slow slide might be best, rather than trying to pick it up.

bob

If it's the typical 36 X 18 X 21" then 6" of water would be about 16 1/2 gallons, or a hundred and forty pounds or so. You'll still have about 350 lbs of water in there plus rock, glass, stand and hardware. So maybe 500 lbs? I'd say it can probably be done, but I wouldn't try it without some help if I were you.

Your corals can be out of the water for a few minutes and any fish can survive in very low water levels for the short period of time that it will take to move the tank. I'd drain the tanks down as far as reasonably possible (more than 6"), move the tanks quickly and fill 'em back up.

Just don't do it. Not worth the risk.

The issue is the way the stand (and tank) will rack and twist as you push on it. Glass tanks do well when all the angles are 90 degrees, not as parallelagrams (geez, how old am I that I have no idea how to spell that?)

Could happen durring the move or weeks or months later.

You also forgot the nice job it does on your back the plain fact it never goes as planned because you

Instead of pushing, you might be able to use a winch - chain winches are cheap, and it'd move the tank an inch or two at a time. The major problem is where to attach the other end of the chain - if you have a handy sturdy pillar, great, but usually that doesn't work so well inside the house.

Instead of pushing, you might be able to use a winch - chain winches are cheap, and it'd move the tank an inch or two at a time. The major problem is where to attach the other end of the chain - if you have a handy sturdy pillar, great, but usually that doesn't work so well inside the house.

If you like, I can bring my Jeep with a winch- just attach the cable to the tank and I'll pull it.

If you like, I can bring my Jeep with a winch- just attach the cable to the tank and I'll pull it.

Yikes! I'm very visual.....I'm picturing this.......Oh noooo LOL

Way too late for that... I've already built my frag rack!!

Fullrack.jpg

This is a very sturdy stand - and I am planning to make the initial 1" or so move using a hydraulic jack - so I can put pressure against the bottom of the stand to 'break it loose' if it salt-encrusted to the floor, etc. I'm aware that I don't want to lift one end any distance and 'rack' the tank. That's why I thought a slow slide might be best, rather than trying to pick it up.

bob

WOW, nice tank! I want one :cry:

Your corals can be out of the water for a few minutes and any fish can survive in very low water levels for the short period of time that it will take to move the tank. I'd drain the tanks down as far as reasonably possible (more than 6"), move the tanks quickly and fill 'em back up.

That was the plan... about 4" of water ought to be enough for the 4 small fish in there. That is about 100 pounds of water. 40 pounds of rock. 50 pounds of stand. 20 pounds of sump. Certainly no more than 250 pounds. A light-weight, compared to the 600-pound 240. I have some very strong people coming. Same ones that helped me with the 240. The tank/stand will be turned 90 degrees, and then slid about 3 feet. I'll try to hire a photographer to catch Murphy in the act of sabotaging the move! Actually - a couple of the rocks will be coming out for the move; so maybe 20 pounds of rocks.

If the whole thing falls apart... I'll take the 40-breeder sump, and make THAT the replacement; plumb both of the 40's into the frag system! :)

When I get the 40 added... I will have 525 gallons of water altogether in Marine tanks.

bob

I've done it with a 55g. By myself... I've detailed the technical instructions below:

1. Lift one end up
  2. Move a few inches to the LEFT
  3. Put tank back on floor
  4. Lift other end up
  5. Move a few inches to the RIGHT
  6. Put tank back on floor

Repeat as necessary until you have reached your destination.

Note: Be sure you alternate between left and right, otherwise you will go in a circle. ;)

BTW: Nice Rack!

:lol2:

I've done it with a 55g. By myself... I've detailed the technical instructions below:

1. Lift one end up
  4. Lift other end up

Note: Be sure you alternate between left and right, otherwise you will go in a circle. ;)

1. Lift one end up
  4. Lift other end up

Why thank you!! :blush: you're the first guy to ever say that to me!

In my case - I need to go left, left, left, left, left, left... then left right left right... 'cause I need to go in a circle for about 90 degrees. Wish I had a video camera... might be good for some funniest home video show.

bob

Job done!!

It turned out to be very easy... the floor was wet, the stand slid easily, and with three of us, there was barely the slightest little shloshing of water. The 3" or so of water was still perfectly clear after the move. Now I just have to finish moving electrical, ATO, media reactor, kalk reactor, etc...

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

bob