solar panels

jamal

anyone have any experience with solar panels to power a home. i am looking at this possibly depending on how much it is overall. opinions?

Jamal,

I was looking into it as well. Only thing you have to understand that the up front cost could be considerable. 15-60K depending on what system you get.

There are a lot of options out there and make sure you check to see if there are any rebates, there are federal ones, but there's a certain limit. Also, you'll have to determine if the power company will let you tie it back into the local grid (so that you can get some money back since you'll be making some extra for them). So all in all, it's a pay off and worth it, but you'll also have to be a little diligent in cleaning (bird poop, snow, etc).

Good luck with whatever you decide to choose.

I was involved in an install on a home in CA that is pushing 6000SF, and this owner is making a little over $200 a month after he powers his home. In other words, he is putting power back in to the grid, and PG&E cuts him a check each month. While that may not seem like much, the entire system was 28k, and he has no power bill at all. That system should pay for it's self in less than 7 years.

On a side note, he has a 12'X3'x3' reef in his living room, and a 1000 gallon Koi pond in the front yard that he can view through a window in the basement.

In Montgomery County you can almost get the entire thing paid for via rebates and tax credits. A co-worker's husband has taken advantage of this. Also, the new stimulus bill passed has some money. However, I think most of it is already spoken for in Montgomery County...I think. A bunch of people jumped on it right away. Just be ready to spend about $20k and do A LOT of work to get most of it back.

I researched this quite a bit prior to the purchase of our last 2 homes.

From my research and talking to others whom have done this and had it installed for 0-5 years, the consensus I got was that although it sounds great, and there are some benefits, we just aren't there yet as far as ROI or Cost/SqFt and Energy Per/SqFt.

It is a great benefit to the environment and there are rebates and stuff out there. Although unless you are building a new home and incorporating this into the plan it just isn't a very cost beneficial solution currently.

From my perspective, if I was to do this - and we almost did - I would want to add the earth energy tubes (or whatever they call them now) as well as insulation and structural incorporation. It adds about $100-$150k to the building cost, although if the home is kept for the duration (30+ years) it pays for itself many times over if you use the energy savings, rebates, and grid checks to pay down the morgage - especially in the beginning.

Just my .03

Edited by Sikryd

Jamal,

I was looking into it as well. Only thing you have to understand that the up front cost could be considerable. 15-60K depending on what system you get.

There are a lot of options out there and make sure you check to see if there are any rebates, there are federal ones, but there's a certain limit. Also, you'll have to determine if the power company will let you tie it back into the local grid (so that you can get some money back since you'll be making some extra for them). So all in all, it's a pay off and worth it, but you'll also have to be a little diligent in cleaning (bird poop, snow, etc).

Good luck with whatever you decide to choose.

Jamal,

Check your TV program guide for "Planet Green". There are several shows that have had episodes around installation of solar panels. I think Guy is right on with regard to the expected cost. One thing to note though, the less expensive the system, the less energy you may produce depending on your home's demands. Less expensive systems may only suppliment a portion of your electricial needs (I've seen a show where a 16K system only gave a return of 30% of the home's electricity needs). The more expensive systems have the potential to make money for you.

When Jon and talk about building our retirement home we want solar panels and water collection systems.

Let us know what you find out.

Maureen

The last thing I read was that a lot of the gov't money has run out. There was a website I went to a while back that would do an analysis for you and I needed to spend about $80k to get to 80% of my energy needs (after whatever rebates were available). Not worth it IMO.

here is a link to my brother in laws house.... well before i got divorced. he didnt go all the way with it but has reduced his light bill alot. i think as time goes on he will add more to it.

here is a link to my brother in laws house.... well before i got divorced. he didnt go all the way with it but has reduced his light bill alot. i think as time goes on he will add more to it.

Gary,

Awesome article, thanks for sharing!

Maureen

Jamal,

I saw an article in today's Free Lance Star, our local newspaper. There is a 3-day program spnsored yby the Fredericksburg Area Builders Association that begins on Monday. "Topics center around aspects of green construction technology".

"For more infomration go to fabava.com and click on "GreenPro 2009 or call call 540-898-2730. Pre-registration is required."

I did not go to the site to see what day, if any, solar panels will be discussed, but it seems like it would logically be included.

If you do head down this way, please stop by and see our tank. And, if you hang out around dinner time, there are teriffic places to eat (and 2 new pubs that have serious selections of beer and wine) in downtown historic Fredericksburg and maybe we can get some local reefers to hang out.

Maureen

• 2 months later...

I installed 22 of these panels on my roof last October. I am an electricial so I did it myself. I got back $20,000.00 in rebates and taxes so the system only cost me $3,000.00. It generates 4,000 watts on a sunny day and generates about $100.00 a month which comes off my electric bill.

Now I started a consulting company and am doing a few jobs.

000_0003.jpg

I installed 22 of these panels on my roof last October. I am an electricial so I did it myself. I got back $20,000.00 in rebates and taxes so the system only cost me $3,000.00. It generates 4,000 watts on a sunny day and generates about $100.00 a month which comes off my electric bill.

Now I started a consulting company and am doing a few jobs.

Paul,

A couple of questions for you- what state do you live in? I'm trying to figure out how you got $20K in rebates, the fed rebate is only $2k. Also is that 4,000 watts a day or 4KWH or what? I'm not an expert so I'm probably missing something. In VA, electricity costs about 8-10 cents per KWH so I'm trying to figure out what the monetary production is.

Thanks!

Paul,

A couple of questions for you- what state do you live in? I'm trying to figure out how you got $20K in rebates, the fed rebate is only $2k. Also is that 4,000 watts a day or 4KWH or what? I'm not an expert so I'm probably missing something. In VA, electricity costs about 8-10 cents per KWH so I'm trying to figure out what the monetary production is.

Thanks!

I just found DC's program:

$3/W DC for first 3 kW installed capacity;

$2/W DC for next 7 kW;

$1/W DC for next 10 kW

That's a healthy rebate! I'm definitely looking into this now.

Dave I live in New York. I got back $14,000.00 from the power company and $6,000.00 from the state and federal Govt.

Each panel is rated for 179 watts and they are in series.

The system is warranted for 25 years. When the sun is out on a great day the system has a readout and it is generating 4,000 watts at that time. If a cloud passes the output drops. On a rainy day it still makes about 200 watts.

It usually generates about 3,200 watts which is almost the amount of power my house is using if I don't have any air conditioners on. So on a really sunny day my electricity is free while the sun is out. Of course at night it doesen't work.

It also doesen't work during a blackout. It senses the power from the power grid and turns itself off during those times so I don't shock the guy working on the lines.

I installed the entire system myself in 4 days.

Before you buy a system, the Solar company gets you a letter from the power company stating exactly how much rebate they will give you with in 90 days of system completion. They also tell you how much the Govt. will give you back. It is determined by how many watts your system is rated for.

The power company then changed my meter (for free) for one that turns backwards when I am generating more than I am using there by reducing my bill.

I will never get totally free power because my roof is not large enough but if you have spare land, you could generate power to supply the grid and the power company has to pay you for it.

Thanks for the extra info Paul, it makes a lot more sense now. Too bad VA is so lame with the rebates/credits. Between that and the 8-11 cent rate for a KWh it's not very economical to go solar right now.

3200-4000W is pretty good- it's almost enough to power my tank when the chiller and lights are on! :rollface:

Paul,

Does your system have any kind of power storage, or does any extra you are making just go back to the grid?

The extra power goes into the grid but the utility company buys it from me. The money goes to my next month's bill. They changed my meter so it turns backward with the excess power.

• 2 years later...

this is a very useful site for determining what incentives are out there. We just put a 4.07kW array on our house.

Upfront was $21k. 30% federal, $2500 MD, $5000 county + SRECs and power savings.