Roozen's

SeanCallan

I've mentioned in twice in my posts and I figured it warranted a "Vendor Experience" post.

I decided this past weekend to hit up all the LFS within a pretty decent radius of my place as I'm trying to get an idea of what is available and at what cost while I plan my tank. Roozen's has been spoken of pretty highly a number of times on these forums and so I decided to swing up that way.

Perhaps they have 2 locations, but the one I went to in MD was the biggest disappointment ever. I took my roommate with me so he could start to get an understanding of the hobby as I prepared to build my tank, thankfully there were other stores for him to see because Roozen's is frankly a piece of *@.

From what I was able to see, it appears that Roozen's is some kind of algae and aiptasia farmer, I will never purchase a piece from them and introduce it to my tank, only God knows what else has spread throughout those tanks.

Sure they have a lot of fish, but they also had a lot of fish laying on the bottom of the little teacup sized holding containers they had.

Their great selection of Mantis Shrimp? 2 and one was dead.

Customer service? I can't really say anything bad nor can I say anything good. A guy at the front told me how to find the SW area and the guy there offered to help me. He told me out right they don't plan to carry much in the way of SPS since they cannot compete with WAMAS and other groups which do a fair amount of trading.

What am I missing about this place? I feel like I should send Roozen's a bill for my gas.

You aren't missing anything. You went to Roozens and saw what you saw.

I got to Roozens and I see fish that no one else carries, and diamonds in the rough as far as their zoas and LPS go.

Perhaps down the road I'll be disgusted by their husbandry and storage tactics. Perhaps down the road you'll want that special little fishie that Jos not only can get a hold of, but happens to have on hand.

Garrett.

You aren't missing anything. You went to Roozens and saw what you saw.

I got to Roozens and I see fish that no one else carries, and diamonds in the rough as far as their zoas and LPS go.

Perhaps down the road I'll be disgusted by their husbandry and storage tactics. Perhaps down the road you'll want that special little fishie that Jos not only can get a hold of, but happens to have on hand.

Garrett.

Or I could order it on the internet and skip having my fish suffer in that place.

Roozen's is definitely not the place for a budding aquarist. It is for the seasoned person looking for that rare fish or the occasional great deal. Roozen's does a lot of wholesale business (from what I understand) and has high turnover - which results in getting fish that many other places just don't carry. Many of the stores in the area actually get some of their fish from Roozen's (again, from what I understand). The way they make up prices on the spot is annoying, but you can find some deals - I got my semilarvatus for $90 - the next day I went to BRK and a nearly identical specimen was selling for $160. They had a map puffer in there a couple weeks ago and you don't see those very often. You may have also noticed they had about 10 Sohal tangs. These are also special order only items at most stores. The undulated triggers and queen triggers as well as some of the rarer angels are also nice to go see. Don't get my wrong - the tanks they keep the fish in are horrible and husbandry practices are questionable at best, but you can find some excellent deals when you know what to look for. You MUST QT anything that comes from there. No way around it. Again, it is a place for the seasoned hobbiest.

(edited)

Roozen's is definitely not the place for a budding aquarist. It is for the seasoned person looking for that rare fish or the occasional great deal. Roozen's does a lot of wholesale business (from what I understand) and has high turnover - which results in getting fish that many other places just don't carry. Many of the stores in the area actually get some of their fish from Roozen's (again, from what I understand). The way they make up prices on the spot is annoying, but you can find some deals - I got my semilarvatus for $90 - the next day I went to BRK and a nearly identical specimen was selling for $160. They had a map puffer in there a couple weeks ago and you don't see those very often. You may have also noticed they had about 10 Sohal tangs. These are also special order only items at most stores. The undulated triggers and queen triggers as well as some of the rarer angels are also nice to go see. Don't get my wrong - the tanks they keep the fish in are horrible and husbandry practices are questionable at best, but you can find some excellent deals when you know what to look for. You MUST QT anything that comes from there. No way around it. Again, it is a place for the seasoned hobbiest.

Aren't people always saying that it's better to pay more then get a questionable fish from a place like Super Pets, Pets Mart, Pets-r-Us, etc?

Shouldn't the same apply to Roozen's, sure it's not a franchise, but all you're doing by giving them money is encouraging a substandard establishment to continue it's questionable practices.

I wonder how many rare "diamond in the rough" fish they've had die from the conditions there that could have been better utilizes by a more responsible LFS.

I should clarify, I may not currently have a tank setup but I have a good amount of experience with the SW hobby and Biology in general. Maybe that what makes Roozen's suck so much; I know that it could be better but they're not actually committed to that.

Edited by SeanCallan

Or I could order it on the internet and skip having my fish suffer in that place.

Do you really think any fish we buy has never been in that situation? The fish we buy have been shipped, and reshipped so many times its not even funny. Those big warehouses on the west coast keep all their fish in very similar sized containers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Roozens in any way. They've gone waaaay downhill recently. Not that they were ever that great, but they have definitely let their large clam/coral tank get pretty bad. It really does look like they're raising aptasia in there. I've noticed that alot of things started to go downhill once Larry left.

Also, their tanks may be dirty looking, but if you do a test on their water quality, it isn't that bad actually. I tested for nitrates and they it barely tested any nitrates (just a hint of blue color on a Salifert test kit). Phosphates were the same, at the low end of the test range. Didn't both to do Alk or Calcium.

And I do agree with Brian in that its only for seasoned hobbyists. Not saying that you aren't, just putting the word out for newbies. I only give them money when they have unique items that I haven't seen before, which they do get in quite often. After hearing from a fellow member that they tried to sell them Aptasia as a "good" anemone, I knew then and there that I had to watch myself with that place. I give much more of my money to BRK, Aqua Co, and Aquarium One, stores that I trust. Maybe 5% of my budget goes to Roozens, if that.

Roozen's is not for everyone, no LFS is. Some of the "popular" LFS people here seem to like I went to 3 or 4 times and just didn't see the appeal myself.

I happen to like Roozen's. My primary reason is selection. Since they usually have more selection than the next 5 LFS combined, for ME that's 90%. I don't care about customer service at all. I'm there to buy fish/corals...not meet drinking buddies (and frankly their customer service was just fine at least when Larry was around).

I've seen great stuff there for great prices that I've either never seen at other places, or seen at extremely inflated prices on rare occasions. Examples: I bought a decent size achilles there for $48. I also bought a very nice pair of black clownfish for $28 for the pair. Corals, same thing. I've seen as many as 2 dozen mantis shrimp there before. Most LFS I have never seen a single one and never at any other LFS have I seen more than 2 or 3. I've seen at least 50 cowfish at Roozen's at one time before. Hawaiian Dragon eels. Gem Tangs. Nautilus. Cold Water Anemones. Octopus. Sharks. Rays. They almost always have diamond gobies, which I very rarely see anywhere else. List goes on and on. I've never seen another LFS that remotely competes with the selection except That Fish Place.

I've bought tons of stuff there (fish, corals, clean up crew, anemones) and have as good, if not better survival rate than any other LFS. I've never quarantined anything I got there. I still have a sohal and a pair of black clowns, anemones, and many corals I bought years ago.

I'm not saying everyone should like the place, just explaining why I do. To me, the next best LFS is That Fish Place 120 miles away (I drove there a week ago).

I don't think it's the greatest place in the world, but the great selection brings me back time after time. And the used car audio.

Just my $.02!

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

hahahahahaha. That is too funny. I thought most of the car audio stuff left when Larry left. Wasn't that his cup of tea.

You may be right. I've only been out there once or twice since he left. Sad thing, I liked him.

tim

You may be right. I've only been out there once or twice since he left. Sad thing, I liked him.

tim

Me too. He was very knowledgeable too. Waaaaay more personable than Jos.

I don't know how knowledgable he is. I guess if you believe that everything is rare and from Sri Lanka, then yeah maybe he was. I did like him and once you get to know him he wouldn't rip you off so bad.

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, my first trip to roozens was moving... I had heard people say it was awesome and they have so much stuff... Well, they have a lot of things and some nice exotics, but i would be scared to put it in my system... I think they might be the aipstia capital of aquatics... Its F***in everywhere... I just went back to get some live rock (branch style) and first of all they advertise one price online and its different in the store, then i had to have them pull just shipped in rock out for me bc there was no way i was buying that garbage in the big tubs.... I will say they have some really nice fish and corals, but i would NEVER put any of them in my systems..... Its called Roozens death camp for a reason... Btw, does anyone else think its weird to have an outdoor saltwater set up..? They get a 3 out of 10..

Roozens makes me smile every time I walk in the place. Half of the fun is trying to find all of the fish and corals hidden in the back of the tanks. Jos up front constantly changes the price. My trick is to dress down and look I know what I am doing. I do miss larry though he was great at his job. He was always nice asked about your setup and made sure that you were buying the right piece. However I have found that Jos does the same thing when you actually talk to him.

This weekend I went in there to pick up a fish or two for my new solara tank and he took the time to help me rummage through all of the crazy tanks finding just the right female wrasse that was reef safe and very peaceful.

I was extremely disappointed in the clam tank as well as some of the other tanks. The apatsia was outrageous. However, I have been buying fish there since I got into the hobby over 3 years ago and I have never received a fish with any type of disease at all. Not even once. I can not say that about any other LFS in DC.

Hopefully they get that problem under control and bring back Larry.

I would have to agree, they are not for the beggining reefer but a seasoned one can find all sorts of gems... I have purchased fish from them in the past and they are all alive still today. if you have a good eye for seeing potential in corals I reccomend them, otherwise newbies may not want to go... this is of course my .02$

For those interested, Larry is now working at a junkyard. I don't think he parted on good terms. Jos is basically running the show back there now, except for Sat mornings.

We all know the deal on Roozens--apistasia out of control, the "SPS" tank up front is a friggin disaster, etc. However, you simply will not find the selection of fish they have at any other store. It's as simple as that. As for corals, go to Aqua Co.

If you have ever been to a wholesale facility or a transship facility, Roozens is very similar to either one. You can find some great deals and very unique fish and inverts. Like many people have said before, it's not for the beginner or the faint of heart.

That is definetely where your noob experience shows. A fish isn't suffering because the glass hasn't been cleaned on the tanks, and aptasia is growing. And if we as consumers go to our local fish store to see what is available out there and then buy it online because it is cheaper, we'll end up having to buy EVERYTHING online, with no local fish stores since they can't compete with online shipping wareshouse with no overhead.

Case in point - I have a tank in my basement that I never cleaned the glass on, because I just haven't gotten around to it. It looked like nothing would grow in there, or the fish should be dead. Due to the glass being dirty with algae and stuff, it made the water look YELLOW. I took a scraper to it a couple days ago and the tank is CRYSTAL CLEAR and looks better than my display tank since there is only a pair of clowns in it with live rock. BTW - the water has better parameters than my display tank, and my display is just about 0/0 no3, no4.

When you go to Roozens, it might help to remember that water quality has nothing to do with aiptasia or the glass not being clear.

The devil advocates side -

With that being said, I LOVE Roozens, it is by far my favorite store to go to, to hunt for different, unusual or rare stuff. The really cool thing about it is you NEVER know what they are going to have. Sure Jos could use a little introduction to proper customer service and stuff, but oh well, its his store and they do a pretty good amount of business and have a phenomenal amount of turn-around for what it is. And I really HATE that you have to ask the price on everything knowing that the next guy might get it cheaper or for more depending on how Jos feels. He might bump the price just cause he doesn't want you to buy it, who knows, oh well - once again its his place and he can run how he wants.

As for it being "strange" that their tanks are outside in a green house. Not at all, and compared to all the LFS, they should get the "going green" and conservation award. Using the greenhouse and the earth for lighting and constant temperature regulation is ingenous. Not only does it cut down on overhead, it is the most natural way to go. And in my humble opinion, more stores should try to go that route. I know of a few coral farmers that do this as well, and it works GREAT, if you can get the bugs worked out, such as over-heating in the summer, and cooling in the winter.

Granted, Roozens is a different experience. With that in mind though, that is what is going for it. The prices aren't marked and labeled on the tanks because they have such a high turn-over, diversity of livestock from week to week, and not a lot of employees, so they just don't bother with it.

I agree it is more of an experienced or seasoned enthusiast to shop there, but it can be for the noob as well if they are a little educated/informed on what can/can't be done in the hobby and still make things work.

Plus, then a noob can see what kind of World Class aptasia can be grown if you don't have the best husbandry! :lol2:

For all that Roozens is lacking, in my personal experience they make up for in their diversity and "diamonds in the rough" that you can find there. Other local fish stores just don't offer that type of shopping experience.

Edited by Sikryd

Interesting how the argument has turned into "if you don't like Roozen's, you must be a noob." For my part, I want to work with a retailer, either online or local, who is willing to discuss issues like collection, shipping mortality, and long term viability. Based on what I have seen, Roozen's doesn't care about any of those issues, so they don't get my money.

To me, it's not just about getting the fish, it's also about how many fish have died to get me that fish.

I have been with WAMAS for eight years now and Roozen is constantly a topic of debate on the boards. Personally, they used to be my main LFS for all the reasons that Sikryd mentioned. Half of my fish have come from there. However, since Larry has left the tanks have gone down hill some.

Something to remember about Roozen's. The nature of the greenhouse always makes the tanks look worse in the summer compared to winter. Stop back in a few months from now and it will probably look better.

He also runs copper in the fish only side so make sure none of that water makes it into your reef tank. None of the fish I have gotten from there has ever died right way from a diasease.

Interesting how the argument has turned into "if you don't like Roozen's, you must be a noob." For my part, I want to work with a retailer, either online or local, who is willing to discuss issues like collection, shipping mortality, and long term viability. Based on what I have seen, Roozen's doesn't care about any of those issues, so they don't get my money.

To me, it's not just about getting the fish, it's also about how many fish have died to get me that fish.

I don't know of too many retailers that will discuss that kind of info with a customer. I'm sure that no matter what avenue you pursue to acquire your fish, there are at least twice as many dead ones that you don't see or hear about. You might want to think of Roozens as a wholesaler that sells to the public. It is very similar to other wholesalers because of the high turnover rate of livestock and the seemingly lack of maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

What am I missing about this place? I feel like I should send Roozen's a bill for my gas.

LOL.....OMG, I have the same experience and others told me close to what you have described. When I walked in and saw how their tanks looked and my jaw dropped.

You're missing nothing.....

Amen.

And the argument that they are "no worse" than wholesale outfits doesn't have much traction with me....how is Roozen's mimicking the horrible conditions and lack of care on the part of wholesalers any justification?

So Roozen's has great selection and cheap prices? Those are really good reasons for turning a blind eye to the fact that they are just too ignorant/lazy to properly take care of the creatures in their care.

Yes, sarcasm.

Sorry for the rant....but I'm with Dave on this one.

-R