Aptasia spreading questions?

If i throw a sizable chunk of rock with aptasias all over it in a sump, will they then be able to spread back up into the main system

I know it works the other way... brand new refugium, no aiptasia - for about a week. Then it migrated in from the main tank.

bob

I agree, I have had greatt luck with pepermint shrimp as well

Use Aptasia X on them. In my experience, they always retract and if they are in a big enough hole, then can retract and avoid kalk past to survive. They actually like the taste of Aptasia X. Plus its alot of fun watching them explode from the AX.

I nuked a small one (in my 29) last night with lemon juice. It worked just fine.

Edited by Origami2547

I had some on rock once I accidentally threw in my sump none of them ever migrated into the main tank. But by then I had a small team of peppermint shrimp eat the aptasia.

I had some on rock once I accidentally threw in my sump none of them ever migrated into the main tank. But by then I had a small team of peppermint shrimp eat the aptasia.

Yup, I've always relied on nature to do her magic in my tanks. We strive to have these little ecosystems so why dose some outside chemical when you get a little critter to do it for you?

why dose some outside chemical when you get a little critter to do it for you?

Mutant Aiptaisia

I have one in my tank that my peps refuse to touch, I have just been watching it grow. I have some Aiptasia X but I want to see how big this one can get before I make it implode

Edited by blaze98

• 2 months later...

peppermint shrimp and copperband butterfly are hit and miss to control/destroy in tank aiptasia. Here is a sure fish to completely fix the issue, the Bristle-Tail Filefish. Not the prettiest fish; however, it will do the job for sure after bringing it home. It will convert/adapt to eating regular food that we feed other tank fishes after all aiptasia are gone.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/filefish.htm

Edited by vaironman

Yup, I've always relied on nature to do her magic in my tanks. We strive to have these little ecosystems so why dose some outside chemical when you get a little critter to do it for you?

Sean,

I've used peppermint shrimp with great success against aiptasia. But I don't put them in the display unless I have to, because they are such aggressive eaters and will pull food out of the mouths of slow feeding corals like blastomussas and acanastreas.

Jon

peppermint shrimp and copperband butterfly are hit and miss to control/destroy in tank aiptasia. Here is a sure fish to completely fix the issue, the Bristle-Tail Filefish. Not the prettiest fish; however, it will do the job for sure after bringing it home. It will convert/adapt to eating regular food that we feed other tank fishes after all aiptasia are gone.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/filefish.htm

Thanks for the Filefish info vaironman. I switched from Joes Juice about 6 mos. ago to Aiptasia X and noticed they return threefold. Maybe it's just me, but I'm going to switch back and consider the Filefish.

If anyone else has noticed this effect with Aiptasia X it will be interesting to hear.