Pimped Out Aquariums (NAGA)

ArtC

When I broke down my tank in preparation for moving, NAGA bought all my LR and livestock for $1200.

That was in April. I haven't seen a dime yet. His check bounced twice, I went by his shop several times since then, and each time he promised to deliver at least partial payment at my nearby home on some specific day. On which day I wouldn't see him, and after which I wouldn't hear from him. He did try to sign some customer checks over to me (about half the $1200), but when my credit union wouldn't take them without Jeff present I had to give them back to him to deposit himself. And I never saw anything from that.

I finally gave him a week's notice (by voice mail and WAMAS PM) that I was going to post a review and file in small claims court if he didn't get back to me by yesterday. And again I didn't hear from him. (You can check that he's been on WAMAS today via his member info.)

I hear he's had other complications, and if I can't get by without $1200 for a couple of months then I'm in the wrong hobby. But the combination of not making good on any of the the debt and repeatedly not showing up when he told me to my face he'd show up is too much.

NAGA has never made any objection as to the condition/survival of the livestock, or made any suggestion that the transaction wasn't good.

He does make nice tanks - maybe he's overextended due to the big CAD/CAM system he bought to cut them. But for now, I recommend you not sell anything to him unless you get cash up front.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disapointed to hear the above story, particulalry the bounced checks.

I must say that there is a very high bar for me to say something negative on this board but I also had a less than satisfactoy experience with NAGA. However, it was not a serious as ArtC's.

I send NAGA a PM in response to his post titled "Acrylic sump tank and water topoff tank SPECIALS, LET ME KNOW WHAT SIZE YOU WANT" (see http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry209958 )

It took some time to get a return PM but eventually I did.... with a request to call him. I called but he never returned the call. PM follow-ups didn't work -- I believe his box was full or turned off.

I imagine running a small business is tough and we are in tough times. I don't want to bash someone when they are down and recocognize that folks have issues/struggles from time to time. At the same time, it seems like I was more interested in buying than he was in selling. So, I've abandoned the idea of upgrading my topoff tank.....

Steve

But for now, I recommend you not sell anything to him unless you get cash up front.

That is a good policy anytime. You might as well keep checks as emergency toilet paper in case you get stuck in the woods.

Good luck. Sign up for Judge Judy if you get the chance. I would love to see her expression when she finds out how &*#%ing expensive this hobby is.

Sir, back up - you paid HOW MUCH for a bunch of rocks?!

something must be up with Jeff for this to happen, I have dealt with him many times without problems. Sorry to hear about this, I'm sure he will fix the situation.

I would like to publicly apologize to Art as I am emabarrassed and sympathetic for what Art has had happen to him. I clearly owe Art the money and I have little excuse for having bounced a check other than it was not intentional. I will make Art whole in this matter and hope to do this very soon. He has been more than patient and I have not been able to pay him what he is owed. My PM box is full and I did not get his PM but, that does not change the situation as he has been very patient.

I have simply overextended myself recently taking on some expansion and have fallen short. There are other people I owe money here too but, not involving returned checks. I have been trying to keep in touch with those that I still owe money to keeping them informed of payments to be sent and my situation as a whole. I am attempting to scale back down to where I was before liquidating assets I have recently acquired. It was a gross error in my judgiment to have been doing this expansion so close to the financial edge. I will slowly get back into things but, for now I am limited on what I can do. Those that need to get in touch with me that have not heard from me can contact me at 410-703-5383 and I can address your needs then.

I would like to say in addtion to all of that that WAMAS has been very good to me in helping me and my company grow and thank the organization as a whole as well as the individuals I have worked with. It will take a while for some folks to forgive or forget what is read hear and can only say that I am doing the best I can and will work hard to restore some sense of credibility here.

regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

You're a good man, this can't have been an easy email to write. You're on the right path to getting back on your feet. Unfortunately, in today's economy more people are having tough times than seems fair.

I hope you know how much support you have from many. We know you'll make things right for all, and for yourself as well.

Our support, thoughts, and prayers go out to you as you work your way through this journey.

Maureen

Just a comment from the peanut gallery...

I'm quite astounded by the civility of this exchange. In most other forums, it would have already descended into name-calling and insults.

ArtC put forward his case objectively, even injecting a bit of humor ("if I can't get by without $1200 for a couple of months then I'm in the wrong hobby"), and NAGA/Jeff didn't attempt to evade the issue, or deny his obligations.

I think it's a credit to WAMAS members that this sort of discussion can happen, and no one descends to the level of, say, ReefCentral posts.

Hoping for a happy resolution,

-R

this is why i spend more time on WAMAS than on RC...

Guest Stonecold

Sorry for going off the topic, but I myself owned a NAGA tank.

Jeff,

I've been trying to contact you since May via phone, email and PM. You have not responded to any of calls, email, and PM. I saw this thread and I guess you only respond when one files a complaint about you. I am still seeking resolution and/or advises as to how to fix the peeled background from the tank that you made. It is getting worst and worst.

You can PM me and let me know how to fix it.

Edited by Stonecold

Whenever Jeff makes any full or partial payment, I will post that information.

I would like to publicly apologize to Art as I am emabarrassed and sympathetic for what Art has had happen to him. I clearly owe Art the money and I have little excuse for having bounced a check other than it was not intentional. I will make Art whole in this matter and hope to do this very soon. He has been more than patient and I have not been able to pay him what he is owed. My PM box is full and I did not get his PM but, that does not change the situation as he has been very patient.

I have simply overextended myself recently taking on some expansion and have fallen short. There are other people I owe money here too but, not involving returned checks. I have been trying to keep in touch with those that I still owe money to keeping them informed of payments to be sent and my situation as a whole. I am attempting to scale back down to where I was before liquidating assets I have recently acquired. It was a gross error in my judgiment to have been doing this expansion so close to the financial edge. I will slowly get back into things but, for now I am limited on what I can do. Those that need to get in touch with me that have not heard from me can contact me at 410-703-5383 and I can address your needs then.

I would like to say in addtion to all of that that WAMAS has been very good to me in helping me and my company grow and thank the organization as a whole as well as the individuals I have worked with. It will take a while for some folks to forgive or forget what is read hear and can only say that I am doing the best I can and will work hard to restore some sense of credibility here.

regards,

Jeff

Edited by ArtC

• 1 month later...

Jeff contacted me about getting out of arrears, saying business is picking back up and that he'd be able to make a payment within 30 days. I'll post again then.

Art, thanks for posting positive news - glad to hear that things are working out, since I hope to get myself a custom topoff one of these days!

Edited by Hilary

Let me make a comment here, I have known Jeff for a long time now and I have never known him to disrespectful or even shady when it comes to his business. He along with many of us has been hit hard by the current economic times and since been trying to get back on his feet. I'm sure he will take care of Art and I believe Art thinks the same. I have done business with Jeff on numerous occasions and have never been unsatisfied with his work or attempts at communicating with me. He is a stand up guy with good morals and will always try to make things right for you. With this said I don

Let me make a comment here, I have known Jeff for a long time now and I have never known him to disrespectful or even shady when it comes to his business. He along with many of us has been hit hard by the current economic times and since been trying to get back on his feet. I'm sure he will take care of Art and I believe Art thinks the same. I have done business with Jeff on numerous occasions and have never been unsatisfied with his work or attempts at communicating with me. He is a stand up guy with good morals and will always try to make things right for you. With this said I don

Thank you Flowerseller for editing that post. This is an unfortunate situation that will hopefully be resolved soon based on Art's last post. There was no need to take the personal shot that Flowerseller edited out. Having my own financial issues right now, I can understand to some extent some of what Jeff is going through as well as Art's stand point. They are both trying to be civil about this, leave it at that unless Art posts further about having more issues.

Jeff, good luck to you, I hope things turn back around for you quickly.

Well, maybe I'm not as nice as all that but there wasn't any getting money from Jeff when he didn't have any money.

This thread is my way of reminding him it will remain a public issue until it's resolved. Which everybody would like to see soon.

I consider this whole drama to be very serious.

Considering the alternatives (for example, http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/for...l/badcheck.html or http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/police35l.htm

I believe that ArtC has been very generous with NAGA.

I tried (unsucesfully) a couple of times to give NAGA a little bit of business but he was not responsive or not interested.

I contacted him before and after this post ( http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?s=&a...st&p=214004 ). I was left with the impression that, because of my post, he didn't want my business.

I hear (read?) that other WAMAS members have had good experiences in the past and I was hoping to give NAGA some business (and perhaps help ArtC get paid). I also consider myself understanding and forgiving. Moreover, I like to support WAMAS club members and vendors. However, my experience was not positive and my business went elsewhere.

Steve

Edited by stevearlen

• 4 weeks later...