what else can I use to hold frags to rocks

jnguyen4007

I'm out of the two part epoxy stuff from BRK that is used to hold frags to the rocks in the tank, and the epoxy stuff that I bought from Centreville aquarium doesn't work worth a darn. Is there something from Home depot or somewhere else that I can use that is also non toxic and works as well as the stuff that BRK sells?

(edited)

HD = Aquamend, green & white (also at Lowes.....I think)

do you know which section in HD that I can find this? I get so lost half the time that I'm there.

I'm wondering if that's the same stuff that I bought from Centreville aquarium. That stuff that I bought from Centreville aquarium was down right horrible. It barely sticks to anything. The moment it gets wet, it stopped working altogether.

Edited by jnguyen4007

what brand of epoxy from BRK that u have? i used little fish one but i didnt like it but maybe im just doing it wrong.

what u guys recommend?

what brand of epoxy from BRK that u have? i used little fish one but i didnt like it but maybe im just doing it wrong.

what u guys recommend?

I forgot which brand it was that BRK carry. It might be the only one that they carry. It comes in two parts, purple and olive green. So far, that seems to work much better than that single epoxy stick that I got from Centreville aquarium. That one is white in the middle and green on the outside. When combined, it turns white. I was so furious with it last night that I used what I could and threw the rest out. It was $14 in the trash.

You can find aquamend in the adhesives area, typically near the paint department at HD. I sandwich a disk of it between two dollops of super glue (CA) gel before placing it on a frag plug or rock. The epoxy putty forms nicely to the rock shape but doesn't stick very well unless you use the gel or shove it into a hole.

You might try using the CA gel trick on that stuff you threw out last night.... It might save you $14.

Edited by Origami2547

(edited)

You can find aquamend in the adhesives area, typically near the paint department at HD. I sandwich a disk of it between two dollops of super glue (CA) gel before placing it on a frag plug or rock. The epoxy putty forms nicely to the rock shape but doesn't stick very well unless you use the gel or shove it into a hole.

You might try using the CA gel trick on that stuff you threw out last night.... It might save you $14.

For what I paid for it, it should have worked better than that. The stuff that BRK has, it works much better without the addition of glue on it.

I need to go back to BRK this week.

Edited by jnguyen4007

For what I paid for it, it should have worked better than that. The stuff that BRK has, it works much better without the addition of glue on it.

I need to go back to BRK this week.

AquaScape construction epoxy is what BRK carries. It is a Geisseman product, but you'd never know from the box:

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/?q=node/180

bob

I've never used aquamend on a frag plug to rock, but have used it on other things in the tank or that go in the tank. Works really well for the things I've done with it, hardens under water.

Aquamend is $4 @ HD I believe.

and I paid $14 at Centreville Aquarium out of desperation. Sheesh, I'm such a ding ding.

AquaScape construction epoxy is what BRK carries. It is a Geisseman product, but you'd never know from the box:

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/?q=node/180

bob

Thanks, Bob. That's it, AquaScape. You're right Bob, the box looks very plain vanilla like. I didn't know it was a Geisseman product until now. Johnny recommended it so that's what I've been using. It doesn't cost $4 like Aquamend does at HD, but from the headache I got last night from trying to work with that crapola that I got from Centreville Aquarium, AquaScape was and is by far the better choice. Next time I stopped by Centreville Aquarium, I'll take a look at that epoxy again to see if it was Aquamend or something else altogether that they carried. I don't want to knock on Aquamend if what I used was an expensive and crappy knock off.

I used the stuff from brk and it works really well:) Its hard enough that you can break it off of the live rock with a pair of plires... the only thing I don't like about it is the color I used to much and now my tank looks like bubble gum until it grows out!

I used the stuff from brk and it works really well:) Its hard enough that you can break it off of the live rock with a pair of plires... the only thing I don't like about it is the color I used to much and now my tank looks like bubble gum until it grows out!

I actually used the stuff to bond together the corners of my liverock.

The epoxy putty forms nicely to the rock shape but doesn't stick very well unless you use the gel or shove it into a hole.

As origami said, epoxy putties aren't like superglue...they do not make things stick together.

They're more like cement...they will fill in the gaps, but if you're trying to glue a flat surface to a flat surface, they are pretty much useless.

I wish BRK would carry something other than Aquascape (is it a Giesemann product, from the packaging it seems like it's from the UK)....Two Little Fishies' Aquastick is about 2/3 the price, and doesn't look like bubblegum!

I AM IN NO WAY TRASHING BRK OR JOHN, just to make that clear :)

-R

Edited by lancer99

I just get the stick at Lowes when I need it. Up until lately I hadn't really needed much.

-R

I think John's a big enough boy to let people discuss products, positively or negatively, that he carries.

That's how he learns, and then carries the stuff you want to buy.

The sign of a good merchant. The last thing he wants is stuff sitting on his shelf.

Most of the epoxies will work well if the proper technique is used.

I think John's a big enough boy to let people discuss products, positively or negatively, that he carries.

I know, but since my regrettable "Fish Death" post, I don't want to say anything that could be interpreted as anti-BRK, since they are (I'll say it again) the best LFS.

And if John can track down a barnacle blenny for me, he will be my hero forever! :)

-R

As origami said, epoxy putties aren't like superglue...they do not make things stick together.

They're more like cement...they will fill in the gaps, but if you're trying to glue a flat surface to a flat surface, they are pretty much useless.

I wish BRK would carry something other than Aquascape (is it a Giesemann product, from the packaging it seems like it's from the UK)....Two Little Fishies' Aquastick is about 2/3 the price, and doesn't look like bubblegum!

-R

I have brought in the aquastick before and I found it to be really dry and didnt stick real well. I think its the same stuff from lowes with another name on it, which I have been told has metal in it..... either way I have found the Geismann stuff to be nice and sticky and hardens nicely. I have a tendancy to carry items that I feel work the best for the money, but if there is one out that I am not aware of let me know, I'll check it out.

john

Edited by johnnybv

I have brought in the aquastick before and I found it to be really dry and didnt stick real well. I think its the same stuff from lowes with another name on it, which I have been told has metal in it..... either way I have found the Geismann stuff to be nice and sticky and hardens nicely. I have a tendancy to carry items that I feel work the best for the money, but if there is one out that I am not aware of let me know, I'll check it out.

john

John,

I can honestly say that after trying that other stuff from Centreville Aquarium and the migraine that I got from it because it was so crappy, I'm sticking with the stuff you got. It works for me.

I have brought in the aquastick before and I found it to be really dry and didnt stick real well.

Epoxies are not meant to stick, QED.

I guess I'll "stick" with Aquastick :)

-R