flowerseller's 400g system

:biggrin: Dude!!!! that looks SCWEEEEEEEEEET!!!! :cheers: Gotta love that 1" thick stufff!!! I particularly like that shot of the Rose Anenome attached to the side wall where the shot includes that 1" glue seam

So................................now that you have two good looking acrylic frag tanks flanking your 200g+ main tank at what point do you say this doesn't look right???????????? The main tank should be acrylic too...........and made by the same guy.....LOL!!!! Maybe by the fall??????hmmmmmm :wig:

Anyway, those frags look amazing!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip -- Very slick, indeed. Customizing to fit the wall like that is so cool.

Jeff -- way to drop a hint, Dude. You know, a baseball bat COULD be a little more subtle :-)

Matt

I added the internal mangrove section to the external overflow box on the frag tank.

IMG_2260.jpg

It has 6" of seafloor mix and most of my mangroves.

The water goes from the two 8" overflows into the external box. The slots at the bottom allow for water to also flow

thru the sand but most of it flows over and around the stlks and roots of the plants.

IMG_2264.jpg

I really like the mangroves and this will allow them to continue to grow and branch out.

As they get even taller and continue to branch, I'll light them from above as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally got the time and added the hammerhead pump.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all 5800g of water flow.

I replumbed from the pump out and have been branching off as needed.

The main straight pointed run feeds the skimmer itself and I must say... WOW, all the other tanks and equipment are on side bleed off s from that.

I'll finish the last leg to the frag tank and piece all the drain lines to the sump.

Here's a pic of the purple Long Tentiacle Anemone planting it's foot.

This is within 2 hours of being in the Afarm

IMG_2330.jpg

And a top down.

IMG_2327.jpg

Now the green LTA which was planting itself the following afternoon.

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

I'll try feeding them tonight before going out for coctails and dinner.

If I'm luckey, they'll eat now, but hopefully they will during the next week as they continue to settle in.

It would not be unusual for them to pass on feeding for a week or so as they settle down.

Getting closer to building it all into a cabinet.

I'm currently logging all my corals and fish in preparation of the tear down.

I expect to have a bunch of rock, coral colonies and/or frags available afterwards.

I need to get back down there to see this (and have a pizza)

We hear ya,

I was looking real hard at the pizza oven and it's cover last Monday evening and the kids must have been also.

There was firewood next to it on Tuesday when I got home.

Both the Purple and Green anemones eat pinky nail sized pieces of shrimp Saturday night.

They seem to be planting themselves much more securely into the temporary containers now and were really open wide yesterday afternoon.

I think they're growing.....

The anem clones look sick! Also did you add the mangroves for filtration or ascetic purposes?

The anem clones look sick! Also did you add the mangroves for filtration or ascetic purposes?

I'm a plant guy. The mangroves are because I like them.

Mangroves are WAY over rated for water quality purposes, usually by those selling them on ebay.

Still, I hope eveyone buys them because they're cool,

A few simple precuations need to be taken for long term success.

BRK often has them for sale.

Wow Chip! Awesome looking tanks! I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with, your anemone farm, your main display, that monster clam, or your frag tank. I would love to come over and pick your brain some especially on the anemone farm!!

I totally agree with you on the mangroves. I picked them up because I'm a plant guy as well!! I only have 2 and they are just now starting to really tanke off I'd like to do something similar to what you have, but on a slightly larger scale.

Anyway, great looking tanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Chop chop weekend.

I plan to make 12-16 new clones and hope to have a new video clips better detailing how I divide the anemones.

Pix and link later this weekeknd.

Chop chop weekend.

I plan to make 12-16 new clones and hope to have a new video clips better detailing how I divide the anemones.

Pix and link later this weekeknd.

Does that include the purple one? Looking great, Chip. The RBTA I got from you is doing swimmingly!

Matt

Does that include the purple one? Looking great, Chip. The RBTA I got from you is doing swimmingly!

Matt

Glad to hear it Matt.

No purple clones and no plans to in the immediate future.

I did make 2 anemones become 12, so 10 new to the Afarm clones.

Also got some footage of a natural split in progress.

knfisher filmed the 2 anemones I divided this evening and because I was being so careful while filming, I may have outdone myself as far as clean cuts.

I was able to divide one into 5 and the other into 7.

Just before the lights went out, 9 of the 12 looked to be puffy but all 12 were sticking to the containers or the discs I use to weight the containers.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Is it hard to split anemones? I just recently purchased a RBTA from BRK. What are good tips on keeping the little guy alive. I have two clowns in the tank and I think they are starting to realize they have a friend in the tank.

Edited by reefmontalvo

Is it hard to split anemones? I just recently purchased a RBTA from BRK. What are good tips on keeping the little guy alive. I have two clowns in the tank and I think they are starting to realize they have a friend in the tank.

It's not hard if you have a scapel.

I have some photos and video while doing it coming to the site soon.

The 220 comes down this coming weekend.

I'm tearing our 220 down and taking everything out of it down to the bottom.

It will then be re scaped, more sand added with the old sand replaced after lightly getting rinsed of detritius.

I've been mapping out the colonies I will keep, cut up and many that will be auctioned, traded, sold or given away. Some will be dried out for future Ca reactor material, kinda like recycling.

Schools get first dibs on the giveaway stuff.

Please do not post here asking for stuff as I will delete it

This tank has been undisturbed for 10 years so it will be a huge undertaking and likely last the weekend.

I will be removing the cup coral which has now grown to be 20" around and ruffled.

This will later be "ringed" and cut into as many triangular frags as possible and used as the next WAMAS grow out contest.

Details regarding this will follow sometime after things get back to normal.

The contest will begin at the summer meeting held at or near my house in July/August.

:eek:

Let me know if you need anything held for you so you have time to come back to your senses! ;)

Chip, for everyone's benefit, it would be interesting to see how much stuff you end up pulling out of your sand as far as detritus is concerned. 10 years with the same sand bed presents some interesting scenarios!

The 220 comes down this coming weekend.

I'm tearing our 220 down and taking everything out of it down to the bottom.

It will then be re scaped, more sand added with the old sand replaced after lightly getting rinsed of detritius.

I've been mapping out the colonies I will keep, cut up and many that will be auctioned, traded, sold or given away. Some will be dried out for future Ca reactor material, kinda like recycling.

Schools get first dibs on the giveaway stuff.

Please do not post here asking for stuff as I will delete it

This tank has been undisturbed for 10 years so it will be a huge undertaking and likely last the weekend.

I will be removing the cup coral which has now grown to be 20" around and ruffled.

This will later be "ringed" and cut into as many triangular frags as possible and used as the next WAMAS grow out contest.

Details regarding this will follow sometime after things get back to normal.

The contest will begin at the summer meeting held at or near my house in July/August.

I'm interested in buying some coral. What will u have for sale? ;)

Just messing with ya. I just sent some photographs over to you. Check your PMs. I hope you like them.