Best salt to purchase locally

Guest Ocean Arcade

Guest Ocean Arcade

Starting to get close. Need alot of salt to set up my tank.

What is the "best" salt, and who has it locally for the best price?

I live in NOVA

thanks!

Jeff

From where you live I would make the trip out to BRK (Right off of 66 located in Manassas) besides it will give you a good idea on what you would like to stock your tank with also...

I live in Fredricksburg. For me it is easier and more cost effective to go to Petsmart. They price match their online prices. I just print out the price from their website and take it in.

Sorry Johnny,

if you guys were closer I would give me money to BRK.

Garrett.

I buy I O in the 50g bags by the case, 4 to a case in a box.

You should not have to pay more than $35.00 a case but make sure it's been stored inside away from the sun.

You will have trouble with salt kept outside because it will collect moisture in the bag and will not mix up properly.

For us in NoVa, either place is the same distance.

There's a nifty BBQ place by A1 I like to go to.

Fins & Feathers (another WAMAS supporter) also sells it.

I live in Fredricksburg. For me it is easier and more cost effective to go to Petsmart. They price match their online prices. I just print out the price from their website and take it in.

Sorry Johnny,

if you guys were closer I would give me money to BRK.

Garrett.

uhggggg i know the pain...especially with 2.70 gas....and MARU leaves alot to be desired :biggrin:

uhggggg i know the pain...especially with 2.70 gas....and MARU leaves alot to be desired :biggrin:

Let's just say that I prefer to take my business elsewhere.

Garrett.

Edited by gastone

no one use reef crystal?

Many of us are adding with reactors that there's no need.

I like to use IO and get my Kalk and Ca reactors going strong coupled with a consistant water exchange routine..

is there any benefit at all to using "reef" salt as opposed to regular IO? I know that I haven't been having to add any calcium or kalk or anything to my tank, at least given that I don't have more than a few little frags.

I use RC. Started adding two-part and my CA became too elevated. Speaking of which, I need to do some tests tonight after yesterday's water change!

Tracy

Let's just say that I prefer to take my business elsewhere.

Garrett.

Hey man, i work at maru. I've been there for 2 years and I haven't seen you in there before. I'm not saying we are f'burg's BRK by any means but you should check us out if you haven't been in recently. We've cleaned up a little bit in the past months. There is still much more I think we can do with our coral section (we have lots of leathers) but we're getting better. Also about 2 years ago the ownership changed. The new owner is usually willing to work with people. Another employee and I would like to set up our own SPS frag tank there maybe sometime in the future. I don't blame you for thinking that some stuff is maybe a bit on the pricey side, but we also have really good deals sometimes. I just figured since there isn't much on the forums about Maru so I would put in my 2 cents. Sorry to call you out.

Hey man, i work at maru. I've been there for 2 years and I haven't seen you in there before. I'm not saying we are f'burg's BRK by any means but you should check us out if you haven't been in recently. We've cleaned up a little bit in the past months. There is still much more I think we can do with our coral section (we have lots of leathers) but we're getting better. Also about 2 years ago the ownership changed. The new owner is usually willing to work with people. Another employee and I would like to set up our own SPS frag tank there maybe sometime in the future. I don't blame you for thinking that some stuff is maybe a bit on the pricey side, but we also have really good deals sometimes. I just figured since there isn't much on the forums about Maru so I would put in my 2 cents. Sorry to call you out.

I disguise myself when I come in.

Real incognito like.

I'm batman.

That Fish Place has oceanic, instant ocean, reef crystals, and coralife salt:

Buy 3 buckets, get 1 free right now.

Would you believe I walked out of there with 8 buckets yesterday?

(And 3 Jager heaters, too, heh)

tim

That Fish Place has oceanic, instant ocean, reef crystals, and coralife salt:

Buy 3 buckets, get 1 free right now.

Would you believe I walked out of there with 8 buckets yesterday?

(And 3 Jager heaters, too, heh)

tim

That is about 3 to 4 hours drive, isn't it?

That is about 3 to 4 hours drive, isn't it?

From Alexandria it's 2 hours or a little less each way.

121 miles from my house. Most of it going 70-80 mph

The world's best 5 guys is close to the store, too.

The savings are worth it. Wally's has the Jager 250w heater for $40.

I paid $20 at That Fish Place. The savings I achieved on a single heater paid

for gas for the entire trip.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I was just wondering can anybody break down the acronyms. I have no clue what BRK is or MARU. I mean I thought this forum was to help others find out where and what there called. :idea:

I was just wondering can anybody break down the acronyms. I have no clue what BRK is or MARU. I mean I thought this forum was to help others find out where and what there called. :idea:

BRK = Blue Ribbon Koi, store located in/around Manassas

MARU = MARU, store located in Fredericksburg, VA

HTH - hope that helps

Garrett.

Great that was perfect, but are there any good LFS, I live near Centreville Aquarium, and know of the two big stores, Petco and Petsmart I used to go to this one in Leesburg, but I heard they shutdown are there others around?