zotzer's 46G bowfront

zotzer

No worries, Bob. If I can get this monti to grow, I will be sure to frag you a piece. You have been more than generous to me, and one day I hope to be able to pay it forward.

I adore the polyps too! Should I have taken them off of the plastic thing they came on (like a test-tube top)? I just used epoxy, shoved it in there, and stuck the thing to a rock, but am wondering if that was the right move.

Tracy

I'm trying to decide what to do about the 'bottlecap' under my chalice frag, as well. I do have one large coral with that 'bottlecap' in the middle. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. And zoa's will stick to most anything.

bob

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys! It's looking a little bit like a frag tank right now, with all these little plugs epoxied to the rock. I really AM going to sit back and let things grow out a bit now!! Mostly because I am out of real estate for new stuff. LOL

I fragged the blue xenia last night and had a dickens of a time finding a place for the original piece. :) I put it next to Spot's hole and both of them are a bit peeved about the whole thing.

I'm planning to upgrade my lighting after the holidays, so for now I am going to go out and get some new bulbs. That way the transition won't be too great when I put in the new fixture. So, I will still be dorking around with the tank some, but with what is ON it, not what is IN it. (except for adding the little school of micro gobies I have on order at MS)

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Updated FTS of my now "fraggy" tank. Time to let things grow grow grow. Lots of reef putty visible! LOL

Although my new formerly-white chunk of tonga branch is now solidly green with lots of purple starting to appear.

Tracy

gallery_1752_3_377507.jpg

Tracy,

Is that a mag pump I see in there? What did you use to hold that heavy thing up?

James

Yep! It runs my remora pro skimmer. It's held by gravity (and the plastic tighteners that fasten it to the input tube). I've been considering the pre-skimmer box to hide it, but the thing is huge! Instead, I found a strain of photosynthetic gorgonian (purple ribbon) that I am waiting to come in stock at Live Aquaria. I think I will try "hiding" it with something natural before going for the giant plastic box.

Tracy

I found a strain of photosynthetic gorgonian (purple ribbon) that I am waiting to come in stock at Live Aquaria.

Ask around, peeps have this around here. Scott711 gave me a frag, which I killed. He may have lost his too, but others may have.

Ask around, peeps have this around here. Scott711 gave me a frag, which I killed. He may have lost his too, but others may have.

oooooh, good to know....thanks!!

Here's another, from a different angle for a change. You can see how I am trying to outline my rockwork with ricordea. The cut up ones are all healed and doing great!!

Tracy

gallery_1752_3_36095.jpg

Upgrade day!

I thought buying new lamps would hold over my lighting upgrade fixation until I buy the new aquactinics fixture I have my eye on. I replaced my fixture's standard-issue Current lamps (two 460 actinics and two 10ks) with the following: AquaBlue, Super Actinic, AquaSun, Actinic White.

And, VOILA! It looked like a pepto bismol bomb went off in my tank!! Worst of all, my ricordea looked like H-E-double hocky sticks. Mission NOT accomplished. :(

So, I pulled out the actinic white lamp and put one of the 460 actinics back in. Much better, but things are still pretty pink. I understand that the lamps need to burn in, so I will try to be patient. At least I have some of my actinic pop back, and probably more PAR than I started with, so all should be well. It will also make things less shocking for the tank occupants when I move to the five lamp fixture with individual reflectors. Knowing me, I'll have a closet full of T5 bulbs six months from now, as I try for that magic combo. LOL

I also upgraded my flow today. My tank now has the two original Koralia 1s on one side (one pointed front and down; one pointed toward the rear), and a Koralia 3 on the other. Holy detritus storm, Batman! I thought Medusa and the mushrooms were all going to jump ship. They have settled down a bit, but I think they will need another day or so to really adjust to the new maelstrom in the tank. I'll be very upset if Medusa decides to take a little walk about. :)

Air exchange at the top of the tank is MUCH better now. Looks like bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.

So, big day at Aquaria del Tracy. Will the day ever come when I am simply satisfied and stop tinkering???

T

Edited by zotzer

Well, for those of you who have indulged my enthusiasm for this found hobby (aka: addiction), some updated pics.....

One of Spot's new hangouts, the fuge return pipe:

gallery_1752_1_221760.jpg

Some new corals from James(buf). A wicked candy cane (pic does not do it justice), and a rock full of palys and zoas:

gallery_1752_1_173810.jpg

And finally, some updated full tank shots:

gallery_1752_1_225953.jpg

gallery_1752_1_206825.jpg

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Hmmm, phosphates. I haven't measured them in a long time, but from my understanding, the readings can often be zero if they are taken up by other things like algae.

I have a skimmer, use RO/DI water, and have a refugium hanging off the back on a reverse light cycle (which I prune about every two to three weeks). I also do a 10%+ water change every weekend.

I've had some cyano, but that seems to be under control now after lots of siphoning and upgrading my flow a bit.

Other than that, lots of luck and just trying to "follow the rules". LOL

Oh, and "inventory"....

Fish: pair of true percs, orange spot blenny, candy hogfish, potter's angel, and Medusa the anemone.

CUC: snail-only. Ceriths, trochus, nerites, nassarius, a cool orange turban snail, and a turbo.

Corals are a mix. Mostly shrooms, zoas, and various softies, with some easier SPS, and now a nifty LPS (candy cane) You can pretty much see them all in the photos.

Tracy

nice!

Thanks, Hunter!

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Well, time for the weekly FTS update. Seems like a good way to keep track of growth and changes.

I've been a bit frustrated by my water tests. Last week at BRK, my alk was 9 and calcium 320. I bought a new salifert calcium test kit, have been back to dosing b-ionic and tested after today's water change. Calcium was 320, alk 2.5 meq/l and pH steady at 8.2. I have to get a magnesium test kit and see where that is landing. BRK convinced me to buy some mag to dose with, but I've been doing it only in half the recommended amount, every other day until I can find a test. May have to order it online.

Anyway, the confusing part is that things seem to be happy and growing, so something just doesn't make sense. Oh well....here's today's shot, and I'll work on sorting out the mystery even further in the upcoming weeks.

Tracy

gallery_1752_3_78442.jpg

tracy with all those pumps and such are you having problems keeping the temp stable and low?

By the way what are the total number of non heater heat sources adding heat to your tank?

i.e. power heads, lights, uv sterilizer, fuge pump, skimmer pump, etc.?

Edited by jason the filter freak

Tank continues to look very nice, Tracy! Beginner's luck! :)

bob

It is indeed!

Jason,

Actually, I have been working to keep the temp UP (especially at night). I have two Koralia 1s, one Koralia 3, fuge pump and skimmer pump (mag 3), with T5 lighting.

I keep the heater in the fuge. Since it's a small water volume on a reverse light cycle, the fuge tends to warm up and shut off the heater during the night cycle. I woke up the other morning to the tank at 75 degrees.

Bumped up the heater to 80, and now it only seems to dip down to 77 at night.

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, two weeks since I updated!

Took a new FTS last night. Back of the tank is now completely covered in pink coraline, and the bali slimer has sprouted two new branches, although it's hard to see in the pic. Things are coming along nicely. New frags from the fall meeting are all still alive and encrusting the frag plugs. The pink zoas have more than doubled in population, although the baby zoas are still tiny. My hope is that they eventually cover the rock they are on, and it looks like that will happen in due time.

I'm really pleased with how it's progressed, and am now enjoying watching things grow up. I look forward to the day it is not so "fraggy" looking. :)

gallery_1752_3_123665.jpg

Tracy