zotzer's 46G bowfront

zotzer

Guest NSC

If any other critter gets near the xenia its only defense is to shrivel up, hopefully that is all that's happening with yours, snails included and hermits. Likely it's only freaked out and will open back up and spread like the wild fire that it is.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, it's definitely on its way out. The little fists have shriveled up into tiny white pinheads and are sloughing off. I moved it back to its original position last night, just to see if that would make a difference. I seemed to have placed it in an area where it blocked flow and detrius got trapped behind it. There was a huge chunk of nori that had broken loose from the clip, floated back there, and was decaying. Maybe this contributed to its demise.

I haven't seen any critters near it. Don't have any crabs...just snails.

Tracy

Nah, it's definitely on its way out. The little fists have shriveled up into tiny white pinheads and are sloughing off. I moved it back to its original position last night, just to see if that would make a difference. I seemed to have placed it in an area where it blocked flow and detrius got trapped behind it. There was a huge chunk of nori that had broken loose from the clip, floated back there, and was decaying. Maybe this contributed to its demise.

I haven't seen any critters near it. Don't have any crabs...just snails.

Tracy

Put a frag in your sump or somewhere. Wait a couple days, and put it back. They are just wierd animals. TODAY my blue xenia is plumping back up, it looks like. And of course turning less blue.

bob

I am getting ready to run to the airport, but wanted to give an update. The xenia are still with me. All of the little fists are gone, but the bases are plumped back up, and it looks like it may be trying to form new nubs. Guess we'll know for sure by the time I get back Sunday night, but for now it looks like it just might make it.

Weird little animal, huh?

Thanks for the support and advice, Bob! Always appreciated!!

Tracy

I am back from Atlanta, and the tank looks great. Nothing like the Pacific Barrier Reef at the Georgia Aquarium (which we visited just this morning), but pretty great none the less. :)

The xenia are recovering. Some tiny new little hands have already regenerated. So amazing to see!!

Medusa has really spread herself out! The back part that was in the cove, is now vertical and blocking off the cove, LOL. The clowns still seem indifferent towards her....guess it may take some time, which I have plenty of! :)

I am most blown away by the xenia. At this rate, I expect them to be waving their little hands once again by week's end!

tracy

I am back from Atlanta, and the tank looks great. Nothing like the Pacific Barrier Reef at the Georgia Aquarium (which we visited just this morning), but pretty great none the less. :)

The xenia are recovering. Some tiny new little hands have already regenerated. So amazing to see!!

Medusa has really spread herself out! The back part that was in the cove, is now vertical and blocking off the cove, LOL. The clowns still seem indifferent towards her....guess it may take some time, which I have plenty of! :)

I am most blown away by the xenia. At this rate, I expect them to be waving their little hands once again by week's end!

tracy

Sounds like you had a great time.

I've had xenia, or one sort or another since I started last December. Well, January - after cycling some. They come and go, and I always keep a few frags laying around here and there so I can re-populate if necessary. I find zoanthids to be almost as fickle.

bob

Okay, about time for an update.

Bob, here is a shot of the incredible, recovering xenia. It's amazing that it was just a 1/2" melted nub who's hands all fell off, to how it is now. The little hands are all back...it will be no time until they are reaching for the stars!

gallery_1752_1_26981.jpg

Here is one of Sunshine, the new hogfish. I really like this fish...he's very busy, easy going, and not shy.

gallery_1752_1_225050.jpg

Still my favorite fish, though....Spot

gallery_1752_1_203577.jpg

And an updated tank shot. Took these before getting some cool frags from Francis. Just means I'll have to take more pics over the weekend. :)

gallery_1752_1_189388.jpg

Tracy

Thanks so much for the kind words, guys! I am really really enjoying this tank.

And yes, Medusa IS huge, and has adopted the entire cove on the left side of the tank all for herself. You'd think the clowns would have seen her by now. :)

Tracy

Okay, about time for an update.

Bob, here is a shot of the incredible, recovering xenia. It's amazing that it was just a 1/2" melted nub who's hands all fell off, to how it is now. The little hands are all back...it will be no time until they are reaching for the stars!

gallery_1752_1_26981.jpg

And an updated tank shot. Took these before getting some cool frags from Francis. Just means I'll have to take more pics over the weekend. :)

gallery_1752_1_189388.jpg

Tracy

You should be proud of yourself - obviously you've taken very good care of your new pets.

bob

Thanks, Bob...that means a lot!

Now I am just worried that Medusa is going to "take care of" Spot. He is getting awfully brave when it comes to encroaching on her space. I hope the clowns hurry up and take residence, as they should keep him away once they do. LOL

Francis,

The GSP are all open and are super ultra bright!! The zoas are out too (except the neon green ones are taking their sweet time and only a few have peeked out). LOVE them!

Thanks so much for the extra goodies!

Tracy

Love them! They are #1s, and I can't imagine having any more flow in there. I think they look nice, the magnets make them really easy to install, and they are so easy to adjust.

I'd say the only drawback is if you have curious fish, be sure to check inside the powerhead after feeding time, before turning them back on. The opening is certainly wide enough for a skinny fish to get in there. So far, that hasn't been a problem for me, but I've heard of it happening with others.

Tracy

Major update! Just this morning, I noticed the first spots of pink coraline algae growing on the back wall of my tank. Woooo hooooo.....I thought it would stay green forever, but it looks like the purple has finally arrived!!! :)

I also did my first "dosing" today. Bought some B-ionic from Sean at F&F yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.

On a sadder note, the xenia has retracted once again (noticed it when I got home Saturday night)....and I had such high hopes. I'm not going to obsess...will just wait this one out.

Tracy

Would the purple eventually out grow the green? I've start seen some purple in the back of my tank as well where it is mostly green slime algae.

Would the purple eventually out grow the green? I've start seen some purple in the back of my tank as well where it is mostly green slime algae.

No clue. LOL

The green on the back wall of my tank isn't slimey, it's hard and textured. Kind of looks like green leather.

T

I also did my first "dosing" today. Bought some B-ionic from Sean at F&F yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.

What are your levels of Alk & Ca now? Did you start dosing because you noticed they were starting to drop?

Would the purple eventually out grow the green?

If the parameters above are stable and within acceptable ranges, yes.

Guest NSC

Tracy,

Many of the algae/cyano looking issues you are experiencing are "less detectable" when you have more flow in the tank. I say this because you mention you can't imagine more flow in the tank, don't take this personally when I point this out and also don't think that I believe that more flow will eliminate the issue. When you look at the last photograph you posted there is a tremendous amount of waste(aka nasty stuff) on the top of your water, I see that you are using an overflow box, and what looks like a Remora or a Pro. Do you have an overflow(pre-skimmer as Aqua-C calls it)? If you don't, you should get one MS has one, at least they did the last time I visited. And try this: put both powerheads on the right side of your tank and "force" the waste to the left side where the skimmer is with the pre-skimmer on; this will pull the nasty stuff into the skimmer where it belongs and let your equipment work for you, you'll notice less algae/purple fuzzy nuisance algae building up. Flow is a beautiful thing, I'm not saying turn your tank into a tsunami, but flow works to keep the bad stuff in suspension long enough for your skimmer to eat it. Perhaps your system was powered down for the foto, but a pre-skimmer is still a good idea long term. I have a Pro and use my pre-skimmer when I see a "film" on the surface of my tank.

HTH

Love them! They are #1s, and I can't imagine having any more flow in there. I think they look nice, the magnets make them really easy to install, and they are so easy to adjust.

I'd say the only drawback is if you have curious fish, be sure to check inside the powerhead after feeding time, before turning them back on. The opening is certainly wide enough for a skinny fish to get in there. So far, that hasn't been a problem for me, but I've heard of it happening with others.

Tracy

Edited by NSC

No clue. LOL

The green on the back wall of my tank isn't slimey, it's hard and textured. Kind of looks like green leather.

T

The hard, textured green algae is the first stage of coraline algae. If you put a pure white rock in an established tank - it will turn green, and then purple.

bob

(edited)

What are your levels of Alk & Ca now? Did you start dosing because you noticed they were starting to drop?

Alk was 2.0 and Ca 375. I plan to test again tonight before I continue dosing.

T

don't take this personally when I point this out and also don't think that I believe that more flow will eliminate the issue.

Oh, I don't take it personally at all...in fact, I appreciate the help!!

I have the remora pro, and do plan on getting the preskimmer box. (I had actually bought one before even setting up the tank, but it was the regular size so I had to return it). Even though it's the pro size, it only has the mj1200 on it currently, and I want to upgrade to the mag3 (or at least the rio). Actually, I appreciate the reminder, as I need to get that stuff ordered. (unless BRK carries the pro sized pre-skimmer...maybe I'll just drive out there on Sat)

The preskimmer you see in the pics is for the CPR HOB refugium. Actually, I could probably fit one of those over the pump section of the remora and save some space, but I'd really like a place to run some media if I want, so I will probably just go with the big honkin' aqua c pre-skimmer.

Right now I have a really small bag of seagel shoved down in the input to the refugium....it's not really the best place for it....would be of much more use as part of the skimmer output, IMO.

Thanks for chiming in!!

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Okay,

After yesterday's dosing with b-ionic, today's tests are:

SG 1.026

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate <10

pH 8.0

alk 2.75

ca 375

So, do I dose again today? My thoughts are "yes", but what do I know? LOL

Tracy

updated FTS from my vantage point on the sofa. :)

If you look close, you'll see Spot in one of his new favorite places....atop the mushroom rock. LOL

gallery_1752_3_159377.jpg