zotzer's 46G bowfront

zotzer

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...nutrient export project complete! :)

Today was fuge clean-out day. The chaeto was way overgrown, and it was filled with pink fuzzy algae. So, I cut it all out and plucked whatever remained from inside the fuge (along with a huge clump of gooey green hair algae... which I've ever seen in my main tank!)

So, about a 2 quart volume of chaeto was pruned down to a pint-sized portion and put back in the hob fuge. All cleaned up and ready to suck out some more nutrients!! The project wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

This one time when i cleaned my refugium out, a couple of days later I notice GHA growing in my main tank. I wonder if phosphate disburst when you pluck them out of the refugium. Has that happened to you Tracy or anybody else?

This one time when i cleaned my refugium out, a couple of days later I notice GHA growing in my main tank. I wonder if phosphate disburst when you pluck them out of the refugium. Has that happened to you Tracy or anybody else?

Eeep! Guess we'll see! I've pruned the chaeto before without any problem, so I sure hope not!!

T

That slimer frag has grown two 1" branches on it already - you MUST be doing something right. It can't be more than maybe a month since I gave it to you! Tank looks great - and those mushrooms do make a very nice focal point. Probably the cleanest, clearest 'beginner' tank I can recall seeing. Good work!

bob

(edited)

Thanks Bob! As you already know, I spent a good part of yesterday clipping down one of my Briards, as I have been neglecting his coat during this time. LOL At least he's not a showdog, because he now looks like some sort of chemo patient. I can forget a second career as a hair stylist!! :)

Mushrooms really love my tank, and I am glad because I like them too. I'll take some shroom pics when the lights go on today. Dave gave me a lone bright green one when I purchased the red shrooms from him. The thing is humongous (it's over on the lower left of the "from the couch" shot).

When I bought the LR from Steve, there was one sort of fuzzy olive green mushroom hitchhiker. That original mushroom almost instantly split. He and the clone are also huge....like the size of a pringle-can lid. There are also two others about the size of silver dollars (one of which is visible under the capnella).

I got a bunch of ricordea a few weeks ago. Several of those are the size of silver dollars already.

Thanks so much for the compliments. They mean a lot!!

In the mean time, I've been trying six ways from Sunday to get an accurate shot of the blue xenia. It definitely has a blue cast to it, but I have it in a spot that makes it a bit difficult to photograph. Here is a top down shot, all lights on, no flash. The color is pretty accurate, but it doesn't fully show the blue frosty character of the coral. Regardless, so far, so good on Day two/three. LOL

gallery_1752_4_145377.jpg

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

And one more pic for this morning....a ricordea yuma....generously donated by Bob (lanman). He's still a little balled up, and this was taken under actinics only. I really need to get someone with a REAL camera over here to help me get some good pics. All of the ricordea look amazing under the actinics, but my camera doesn't capture them well at all.

gallery_1752_4_192525.jpg

Well, this darned Redskins game is failing to hold my attention, so you will all have to suffer through some more pics. Here are some of the shrooms, as promised earlier, as well as the goofy clownfish!

Giant green irridescent shroom from Dave S (mogurnda)

gallery_1752_1_190897.jpg

Giant green fuzzy shroom (hitchhiker from LR I got from Steve Outlaw)

gallery_1752_1_117669.jpg

Giant shroom and his clone

gallery_1752_1_319902.jpg

Mushroom Avenue

gallery_1752_1_301614.jpg

Junior with Medusa

gallery_1752_1_263343.jpg

Kismet and Junior

gallery_1752_1_115856.jpg

Kismet and Medusa

gallery_1752_1_228618.jpg

Tracy

And one more pic for this morning....a ricordea yuma....generously donated by Bob (lanman). He's still a little balled up, and this was taken under actinics only. I really need to get someone with a REAL camera over here to help me get some good pics. All of the ricordea look amazing under the actinics, but my camera doesn't capture them well at all.

gallery_1752_4_192525.jpg

My next big fragging experiment is to take the 'mommy' of this green one and 'pie-slice' it. It's self-propagating well, but I just HAVE to hack and slash one. Just need a LITTLE more space...

bob

See this sweet little face? Well, the S.O.B. bit me tonight!! Not once, but TWICE!! ROFL

I'm making it my new icon. :)

gallery_1752_6_255935.jpg

they were love bites :)

See this sweet little face? Well, the S.O.B. bit me tonight!! Not once, but TWICE!! ROFL

I'm making it my new icon. :)

gallery_1752_6_255935.jpg

Could have entered that picture in last month's photo contest. 'It came from outer space!' Excellent portrait of Spot.

bob

Could have entered that picture in last month's photo contest. 'It came from outer space!' Excellent portrait of Spot.

He's from outerspace alright! Little s&*t!!

Holy god I talked to you about the remora C today, that thing is freaking loud!! Is how much noise dose yours make? maybe it's just the over flow box on mine...

LOL I turn it off at feeding time, and when I turn it back on, it's pretty noisy. I don't notice it most of the time though. I think the drone of my light's fans drowns it out. :)

It is much louder now with the Mag3, but I guess I am used to it.

Is yours brand new? Maybe it just needs to break in a bit.

Tracy

Well, I've got to head to the 'skins game in a bit, so I phased the lights on a little early this morning. My hope was to get some pics of my new stuff. All polyps are open and things look like they are adjusting nicely, but I only got one decent pic. (Haste makes waste, don'tcha know!)

So, I will post the one good one, and try again when I get home.

Got these from Dr. Mac and they are absolutely gorgeous! (I had to edit Spot out, as he was front and center, as usual, when I whipped out the camera. ROFL)

gallery_1752_4_28399.jpg

tracy

I managed to get some pics of some of my new corals.

Leishman pocillopora:

gallery_1752_4_2042.jpg

Dr. Mac insane indigo monti:

gallery_1752_4_48889.jpg

Dr. Mac birdsnest (coloring is much more interesting in person...light brownish purple with green tips)

gallery_1752_4_32544.jpg

And lastly, the ten day old frag of blue xenia from Bob, already attaching itself to my LR:

gallery_1752_4_88906.jpg

Tracy

I KNEW I should have gotten that purple monti... And those pink polyps are awesome. Hope they maintain that color! Looking good!

bob

No worries, Bob. If I can get this monti to grow, I will be sure to frag you a piece. You have been more than generous to me, and one day I hope to be able to pay it forward.

I adore the polyps too! Should I have taken them off of the plastic thing they came on (like a test-tube top)? I just used epoxy, shoved it in there, and stuck the thing to a rock, but am wondering if that was the right move.

Tracy