zotzer's 46G bowfront

zotzer

The hard, textured green algae is the first stage of coraline algae. If you put a pure white rock in an established tank - it will turn green, and then purple.

bob

In that case, should you scrub off the hard green so that the purple would grow? Or leave it as is and let the purple do its own thing?

sorry Tracy I didnt mean to hijack your post. There is just so much great info on this forum

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case, should you scrub off the hard green so that the purple would grow? Or leave it as is and let the purple do its own thing?

sorry Tracy I didnt mean to hijack your post. There is just so much great info on this forum

I've just been leaving it.

T

Where you want purple, leave the green... but for most people that would just be the back glass, probably. That only counts if it is the pebbly green that doesn't just brush off with a fingertip. If it moves easily - it's just plain green algae; your snails will love it, but you won't.

And if you let it get out of hand.... well, a picture speaks many words.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16662

bob

Gosh, I love this Blenny!!

I was trying to get pictures of the new rics, and he decided to strike a pose and get in on the action! LOL

gallery_1752_1_80251.jpg

how cute :)

I'm starting to think I should leave some coraline on the front of the glass around the edges to hide the scratches :eek:

Edited by treesprite

how cute :)

I'm starting to think I should leave some coraline on the front of the glass around the edges to hide the scratches :eek:

Yeah...he's super cute. But I don't get the thing about the scratches. Lord knows I have plenty, but I don't see any in the pic. ????

T

A couple of pics....

Picked up some new zoas from Nate today. Was expecting something different, and it took me an hour to figure out how to get this giant rock in my tank! LOL

gallery_1752_1_194390.jpg

Also, Bob...if you are looking....here is a pic that shows the nice nubby growth on two of the frags you gave me. That slimer was sliced straight across the top, and you'd never know now.....

gallery_1752_1_162034.jpg

Tracy

Okay... I give up. Your tank is growing better than mine. Want a 225-gallon tank? Cheap?

ROFL....No thanks....it's all I can do to keep up with this one for now. LOL

That tank is going to ROCK!!

T

You know....that giant rock of zoas is much too big. I could lend you my chisel and hammer. :biggrin:

Tank is looking great so far!

Thanks so much! The zoa rock ended up going back. It was just too big for my little tank, and will be better off in a bigger set up. :)

Anyone who followed my clownfish woes on the other thread might like to see these. What a difference a day makes!! Kismet went from trying to kill the little newbie, to not leaving his side (she is like a new mother-hen).

gallery_1752_6_30025.jpg

gallery_1752_6_21924.jpg

gallery_1752_6_40029.jpg

gallery_1752_6_31618.jpg

The baby seems none the worse for wear, other than a small nic on the left side of his head. Only notice it because it is on his white stripe. Nothing seems out of sorts, and I think he'll be just fine.

Tracy

They look cute in the shrooms. Nice to see the giant red blobs have found a good home!

Dave,

Took the shrooms a while to start propogating, but this past week, they've been dropping one a day in the sand. LOL I love them!! I think I will be donating some on a regular basis to Doug's school, which is right here in Ashburn.

Would be nice if the clowns would discover the anemone instead, though. It takes up about 12" of the bottom of the tank!

Tracy

Well, I must say, I am very much enjoying the calm in the tank and the antics of the clownfish. Junior will now venture away from the giant mushroom rock, but only to follow Kismet. It's quite comical watching this tiny little juvie using all his might to swim through the current attempting to catch up to her.

Mushroom rock still remains home base, though, and Kismet is generally not far. My candy hogfish (the most mellow, chill out, passive fish in the tank) is the only one who gives the baby clownfish a hard time. I think it's because right now he is a similar color to the hogfish, but not totally sure. He doesn't fight him or anything, just pushes him around a bit.

And at least this little guy chooses to sleep in the mushrooms, and not up in the corner of the tank like his predecessor!!

Thanks to Scott, for all of his help. I am still amazed that she didn't kill the little guy, and even MORE amazed at how different things are now!!

Tracy

Dave,

Took the shrooms a while to start propogating, but this past week, they've been dropping one a day in the sand. LOL I love them!! I think I will be donating some on a regular basis to Doug's school, which is right here in Ashburn.

Would be nice if the clowns would discover the anemone instead, though. It takes up about 12" of the bottom of the tank!

Tracy

Man I feel ya! My clowns keeps diving into my mushrooms too! If only they would play with my rbta (sighs) that would make my day.

DSC02648.jpg

Is that your RBTA? It looks like Torch?

T

Nope they are the giant mushrooms my clown calls home :)

Here is another pic with actinic lights

DSC02670.jpg

They reproduce like mad. I am sure we could work something out!!

T

wow reallie mine hasnt reproduce it just gets bigger and bigger like a beer belly :)

wow reallie mine hasnt reproduce it just gets bigger and bigger like a beer belly :)

Now, if only we could "frag" beer bellies....the world would be a much better place!

On second thought, I think those are called "tummy tucks". ROFL

T

I have seen some incredible sized hairy mushrooms. Guy I bought my first softies from had one a foot in diameter. At the time, all I had was my nano ... a foot would have covered most of it. They had one in the little display tank on the counter at Marine Scene - it just kept growing... and growing... finally when it had taken over most of the tank, they removed it to somewhere.

bob

I was getting ready to head to bed last night and heard a distinct water-trickling sound coming from the tank. I was in an instant panic, as this was a noise I had never heard, and thought "this can't be good". The lights were out, so I had to flip them on, only to discover that my turbo snail had made his way to the outlet lip of my remora skimmer. Water was running over his shell and making noise as it splashed into the tank.

How he got there, I have no clue, and I really don't want him eating the microalgae off there, as it seems to have really cut down on microbubbles.

This new mini-ocean in my family room really keeps me on my toes, that's for sure! LOL

Tracy

That's pretty much a daily occcurence at my house, but I still get up and look to make sure. Better safe than sorry. I take my Remora off the tank every few months to clean it and usually find a few snails down in there. They also like to climb up into my HOB filter.