Are Mandarins really difficult to keep?

tygger

I was interested in getting a mandarin for my tank. There are tons of pods in my fuge and I'm sure there are some in the display even though I don't usually see them. I usually feed flakes, but every few days, I'll feed mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze.

Any have success or failures keeping these lil guys?

I have had one for several months now and it is healthy. I had Sean at F&F hold it for awhile to ensure it was feeding in a captive system.

I waited about 2 years before I put one in my system.

i waited for about a year before i added mine. i have seen em eat the home made coral chow the members whip up every now and again

I have had mine for about a year and it has done fine. Mine is also in a very established system

I hunted down one that would eat frozen/freeze dried foods in addition to pods. He's been doing great too, even though my system has only been established since Jan.

We'd love to have on too but we know we need to set up our other system first and have it going for a while. I'm all about having cool fish but if I can't feed it like it needs to be fed, that's just not fair.

i have also seen some online shops that will get mandarins and get them eating frozen foods. I will dig up the site if I can find it, but one that eats something else besides pods would be alot easier to keep in a newer system

I got a Psychedelic Mandarin about a month ago and he seems to be doing well, but only a month. My reef is 8 years old with pods running about, but I have also seen him eating frozen brine and possible cyclopeeze. I have been considering putting a small in-tank fuge in, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

It really depends on your system, if you can get one that eats frozen and you can target feed it. Great. If not make sure you have a well established reef

This may be a silly question but how do you know if your tank has pods ? I see lots of little creatures swiming about in my 3 year old reef tank but how do I know what they are ?

Also, does F&F hold fishes for more than a day to see if they are feeding ? Most LFS I've been to will only hold a fish for 2 days max.

I've had one over a year. In my case, very easy to keep.

He started eating PE mysis almost right away. I squirt some near him

with a turkey baster. He aggressively competes with the fish for the mysis.

tim

This may be a silly question but how do you know if your tank has pods ? I see lots of little creatures swiming about in my 3 year old reef tank but how do I know what they are ?

Also, does F&F hold fishes for more than a day to see if they are feeding ? Most LFS I've been to will only hold a fish for 2 days max.

Sean has been very reasonable, he has held fish for much longer for me. Give him a call to see what advice and arrangements he can make. Not speaking for Sean though.