Show us your aquascape!

VicSkimmr

(edited)

It seems like people who are just setting up a tank are always looking for ideas on how to aquascape their tank, so I figured we need one of these threads to give our newbies ideas. Here's the place to do it.

If you have a picture of when your tank was freshly set up with little to no corals, post it. That way people can see how the tank got started compared to what it looks like grown in. Also, if you have any tips on what you think makes a good aquascape throw'em out there, along with the dimensions of your tank and the amount of live rock used.

Edited by VicSkimmr

(edited)

March 06

IMG_0012.jpg

March 07

IMG_0150.jpg

tank setup w/mix of live and base rock. Live rock came from 5 year old FOWLR tank......estimate 70lbs of rock and sand bed of ~4 inches. placed rock in first then sand. Tank is standard 90gal acrylic

Edited by kngfisher

• 2 years later...

100_2930.jpg

100_2931.jpg

100_2958.jpg

100_2938.jpg

Sorry, don't have a real good FTS because of the location of the tank.

My suggestion: don't just stack up rock for two reasons. #1 It makes it too easy to go scrounging through the rock work trying to find "that one missing fish" which then results in you having to reaquascape, and #2 You can get cooler results out of using acrylic rod, pvc, etc. I just drilled holes in the rock and used 1/2 in pvc through the middle:

DSC01963.jpg

I recently changed my aquascape, but here are some old pics to give u some ideas.

LIV_1373.jpg

LIV_6372a.jpg

CRL_7929web.jpg

CRL_7931b.jpg

Edited by 143gadgets

Thanks for the extra pictures. I finally finished the rockwork and I am actually happy with it! I'll post some pics whenever I find the camera. :wacko:

Justin - The Sohal is gone.

VicSkimmer- You should definitely scrape the back and side walls. makes the tank look clear and simulates more depth.

• 1 month later...

Good luck trying to copy anyone's aquascaping. I spent 10 hours doing mine and it was very nice, but after taking down and setting back up the tank (for drilling), I absolutely could not re-produce the arrangement.

One of the problems in planning aquascaping and coral placement is the 'unknowable' factors - just how fast is that coral going to grow, and in what direction? Some you have a good idea on to start with (green slimer grows fast, plate corals grow in a defined pattern, etc.) - but others will be completely different in different tanks. My 'Leishman red tabling acro' is now a little over 14" across, and about 10" front-back, in a wild multiple-table form. Completely blocking the view of any of the corals behind it, of course. Same thing happened with my blue-tipped staghorn; it got about that same size, but more 'spherical' shaped. Nonetheless, completely taking over the left side of the tank. I got lucky on my purple-tipped acropora nana - it is up fairly high, and toward the back - so when it got a foot across, it was in the perfect location for it. Best of luck!

January 2008:

IMG_1717.jpg

August 2009:

FTS08142009.jpg

bob

Edited by lanman

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a 90 I recently set up. I don't use anything to hold the rocks. The rocks fit together securely.

Left side

IMG_3424.jpg

Right side

IMG_3423.jpg

Edited by audible

100_2930.jpg

100_2931.jpg

100_2958.jpg

100_2938.jpg

Sorry, don't have a real good FTS because of the location of the tank.

My suggestion: don't just stack up rock for two reasons. #1 It makes it too easy to go scrounging through the rock work trying to find "that one missing fish" which then results in you having to reaquascape, and #2 You can get cooler results out of using acrylic rod, pvc, etc. I just drilled holes in the rock and used 1/2 in pvc through the middle:

DSC01963.jpg

Holy crap thats a nice looking tank where did you get it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last December, Robie came over and helped me re-aquscape my tank. We got rid of about half the rock, and it really opened up the tank (120 gallon).

December 2008:

DSC_0258.jpg

Right side, 12/08

DSC_0263.jpg

Left side, 12/08

DSC_0264.jpg

Left again, 12/08

DSC_0268.jpg

And, here it is a year later:

12/09

DSC_0338-1.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

I also FINALLY plumbed in my closed loop and removed the Tunze and maxi jet w/ mod powerheads. Finally, no PH's in the display. I just need an updated pic.

Cheers

Mike