Marine Scene

Guest Faustous

Guest Faustous

Being that I still consider myself a newbie, even though I do know more than I give myself credit for (never ever hurts to ask 3x) ...

I stopped at Marine Scene both yesterday and today, to see what a REAL LFS was like.... amazing!

Melissa helped me out with all of my questions and never once was she impatient with me. She followed me everwhere, showing AND teaching me new things! I was very very happy with this personal style of service... just amazing.

Yes, the prices are a bit higher, but it's the same as when buying computer parts or video games from a local non chain vendor, they are higher, but do you think PetSmart or PetCo will be there when you REALLY need help?

I am very impressed with them, and will be going back again.

Guest JasonD
(edited)

I'm new, too. I've checked out every LFS between Exotic Aquatics north of Baltimore to Marine Scene. I haven't bought item one yet, but MS has been one of my favorite stores thus far. Great selection and very helpful staff...I also like the fact that they are one of the few stores that quarantines their stock before they sell them.

Edited by JasonD

Melissa helped me out with all of my questions and never once was she impatient with me. She followed me everwhere, showing AND teaching me new things! I was very very happy with this personal style of service... just amazing.

Yup Melissa's been great and very helpful to me as well.

I have shopped there occasionally. Melissa does tend to treat customers well. One of the other guys irritates me, but it's more of a personality conflict I think. Their hardware prices are a bit high. Livestock has been hit or miss for me.

John

:cheers:

Their hardware prices are a bit high. Livestock has been hit or miss for me.

John

:cheers:

You forgot to put the sarcasm tag around their prices :) Anyway, I sent the original poster a PM with some tips. Just to weigh in real quick. I really do like Marine Scene. I think their staff is friendly and willing to help/give advice. I've found their livestock (not corals) always to be exceptional. I stopped shopping there because I found F&F. Sean there is as nice (actually I would say nicer)...not to mention his prices are great. On top of that he has some of the most beautiful corals in the area. I do have to admit though...Exotic Aquatics does have some really really nice & rare live stock. However, I can't pay $50 for a Ocellaris Clown! On the flip side, their dry stock is pretty cheap. It's a drive for me, but it was cool to see the place...anyway, I think I just veered of topic..doh!

Yes, Marine Scene is a nice place. I do like it a lot. The prices are a little much for me. I didn't mind paying that much because the service & people were good. I started looking elsewhere when the started stupid policies.

I started looking elsewhere when the started stupid policies.

I've never been. What type of stupid policies do they have?

I've never been. What type of stupid policies do they have?

I've heard of a few...but I don't have personal experience with those. The one that I experienced was what made me stop doing business there. I wanted a Female Bellus angel. They look totally different than the male's. They told me if a male came in instead of a female, I would have to take the male. I told them I don't want a male and it should be pretty easy to get a female instead of a male because they look completely different. They said that it didn't matter and that I would get whatever came in. Well I don't want to spend $100 on a fish that I don't want! I tried asking a few other times and they all gave me the same song and dance. So I was calling every week to check and see if they got a female Bellus in. I think that it was a pretty dumb move on their part since every order form I've seen asks you to specify female or male. Maybe their supplier doesn't do that. I just felt that it was wrong for them to force a fish on me...and how many male Bellus fish do I have to buy and resale to get the female?

Anyway, I went elsewhere. Oh yeah, there was another stupid policy about trading frags in for store credit. I told them what I had and tried sending them pictures. They said that I would have to bring them in for them to look at them. So I made the 45min trip there to find out that they just give wholesale prices....why couldn't they tell me that on the phone? Also, some of the frags could have been sold as grown pieces. I wouldn't have wasted my time if they would have told me on the phone. I was upset that I had to bring them in to get appraised when they could have told me that they always give you wholesale price.

Oh yeah, there was another stupid policy about trading frags in for store credit. I told them what I had and tried sending them pictures. They said that I would have to bring them in for them to look at them. So I made the 45min trip there to find out that they just give wholesale prices....why couldn't they tell me that on the phone? Also, some of the frags could have been sold as grown pieces. I wouldn't have wasted my time if they would have told me on the phone. I was upset that I had to bring them in to get appraised when they could have told me that they always give you wholesale price.

Of course they are going to give wholesale price. Why would they pay more for a coral/frag/livestock from a hobbyist when they can order it themselves at wholesale prices. I've traded many corals and a clarkii/LTA in to them and have never had a problem. I call before I drive over to be sure they can accept the livestock I want to bring. I just bought in two good sized pieces of LR to them, fully encrusted with various corals and got $$$ for my trade. I was quite pleased.

I too had some difficulty with special order livestock from Marine Scene. Basically if it wasn't on their normal list of livestock they won't order it, or expect you to take *all* risk, as in money up front no refunds, with the order. I have since found other LFS in the area that are much more accomodating to special orders. In all fairness, it has been several years since I tried to get MS to special order anything for me so their policies might have changed.

I will say all fish that I have purchased from them have been absolutely healthy, fat, eating well and some of the best around and generally worth the premium price paid. Their dry goods are outrageously overpriced and their corals have always looked a bit on the shabby side, IMO.

Of course they are going to give wholesale price. Why would they pay more for a coral/frag/livestock from a hobbyist when they can order it themselves at wholesale prices.

Tell me that on the phone when I ask!!!!! I asked how much I would get per frag on the phone. They told me I had to bring them in to get appraised. They could have told me the price over the phone by looking at the wholesale number. That is my point! Don't waste my time if you already know the answer. I don't care about not getting something better than wholesale...just tell me the price so I can decide whether or not it is worth trading vs selling private party.

I too had some difficulty with special order livestock from Marine Scene. Basically if it wasn't on their normal list of livestock they won't order it, or expect you to take *all* risk, as in money up front no refunds, with the order. I have since found other LFS in the area that are much more accomodating to special orders. In all fairness, it has been several years since I tried to get MS to special order anything for me so their policies might have changed.

This was about 1.5 - 2 years ago. It may have changed since then. But what you described is what I'm talking about. The Bellus is on their list of fish on their website...so I'm not sure what falls in to their "normal" list of livestock.

I have to agree with you about their livestock. The fish they get in are very nice! I haven't been disappointed in them. The one thing that I've had a problem with is that they don't QT any tank bred livestock...at least that was their policy back then. I had some issues with some clowns I bought there...but other than that, no problems.

Tell me that on the phone when I ask!!!!! I asked how much I would get per frag on the phone. They told me I had to bring them in to get appraised. They could have told me the price over the phone by looking at the wholesale number.

Well I gotta side with them on this, I think. What if you were some clueless dude with dying corals you wanted to get credit for. "YOU TOLD ME ON THE PHONE I'D GET $30 AND NOW IT'S $5?" Once you establish a reputation as a seller you may get better mileage. I suppose they could have said, "We'll offer up to wholesale depending on the quantity and quality, but we cannot quote you a price until we see the items." Would that have been better? You still don't have much information.

When I took in livestock , their answer to me was, "about 30% of what we can get for it, but we have to see it first". Also depended on what they had in the store at that time. With a tank full of capnella already, you might get a nickel.

Better than nothing...

Ditto on what Doug and emmisary said, and you have to consider the size of the item you are bringing in for trade. A 3" frag vs a 8+ inches colony will obviously get different credit. They need to see the item to determine the value, but a phone call to the store to ask whether they can take the item is always a must. 1" clarkii and a 3-4"...larger size will get more credit.

Here is my problem. Thousands of businesses give estimates every day. Because MS is a fish store doesn't mean they can't do the same thing. The fact that they gave me the same price for a 2" frag and an 8" "frag" tells me that they don't really care about the size. They both were the same wholesale price. I gave them the info they need to give me a ballpark estimate. They can say well if the coral is healthy and of average quality, we typically give around x to x. It works like that every day in every other business. Think about a used car. You know given the car model and year that you will get between x & x on a given condition. When you go to trade it in...it's no surprise what they are going to offer you. If it is a surprise, 9 times out of 10 it's because you were dumb and you're going to be unhappy anyway. I don't care what they want to give me because that is their business...but just let me know so I don't waste my time & gas.

I mean I send them pictures and asked for a ball park number....couldn't get anything out of them until showing up....even though they knew what they were going to give me. I feel that is pretty crappy. I find it funny that people think it is unreasonable for ball park estimates...but think it is crappy service if they don't open up after hours for you. :why:

Being that I still consider myself a newbie, even though I do know more than I give myself credit for (never ever hurts to ask 3x) ...

I stopped at Marine Scene both yesterday and today, to see what a REAL LFS was like.... amazing!

Yes, the prices are a bit higher, but it's the same as when buying computer parts or video games from a local non chain vendor, they are higher, but do you think PetSmart or PetCo will be there when you REALLY need help?

I am very impressed with them, and will be going back again.

I'm a member of the Melissa fan club, too! When I first started, she was very helpful and sweet. I got my first tank there despite the prices ($100 more than internet), because I knew I could go back and ask all my dumb questions. ?bioballs? ?foam filter? ?RODI? Of course - then I found WAMAS and have been inflicting you guys with my dumb questions ever since!

bob

...but think it is crappy service if they don't open up after hours for you. :why:

Safeway doesn't open up for me when my kid is crying for milk. I go somewhere else. This does not make this business "crappy" in my mind. It's a business decision. Not all plumbers are 24hr service. Find one that is if you need one.

Not exactly a good comparison. I see both sides, but they could've simply told Black Mammoth over the phone that they give whole sale price that ranges from so and so depending on size and condition.

I been there a few times and have always been impressed with the quality/condition on their fish.

I once bought a damsel from them at $8, then 2 weeks later I decided to return it because it was too agressive in my tank. They bought it back for $3. That may give you an idea of their price and mark-up.

118700.jpg

personally, I have no problems with marine scene. The staff (melissa mostly) is extremely helpful, and as far as their policies.... once you know the policies, there shouldn't be a problem. I know that I have to take off my shoes during airport security, and I know that I can only return livestock to MS on tuesdays. But heck, they give you $$ for your stuff!

Their hours might also suck, but some of our favorite stores (I'm sure you'll all know who I'm talking about) are only open Thurs-Sun. But I love all these stores anyway!

I can't disagree with anyone on their prices though... yikes!

personally, I have no problems with marine scene. The staff (melissa mostly) is extremely helpful, and as far as their policies.... once you know the policies, there shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. I think everyone that works at Marine Scene is fantastic!!! That's why I would go there even if they were a little more in money. It's worth me to pay them more to get good and valuable knowledge and help. Plus, the livestock always seemed like it was in good condition. As for the policies, now I know. It's not a problem anymore since I stopped going there because of those policies (not the coral one, but their fish ordering policy). FWIW, I've never met a rude or dishonest person there. I'm sure I would have fun hanging out with any of them :)

I agree. I think everyone that works at Marine Scene is fantastic!!! That's why I would go there even if they were a little more in money. It's worth me to pay them more to get good and valuable knowledge and help. Plus, the livestock always seemed like it was in good condition. As for the policies, now I know. It's not a problem anymore since I stopped going there because of those policies (not the coral one, but their fish ordering policy). FWIW, I've never met a rude or dishonest person there. I'm sure I would have fun hanging out with any of them :)

More to hang out with now! They have hired two new ladies. The one I dealt with today was very nice and attentive.

bob

I have shopped at the marine scene since it first opened in the 90's. I like to shop there for live stock and emergency dry goods. I bought my new tank and stand from them. They are all knowledgable staff there. The quarentine practices are good. On the complaint about the sale of livestock to the marine scene without a price. I would find it a bad practice to let anyone who called know how much my wholesale cost is for corals and fish. I work in retail and I would never disclose the costs we pay for any item. I believe the practice at the maine scene is fair. My understanding is they only accept livestock on tuesdays when melissa is working. and store credit is offered, not cash. I once traded in a xenia rock which was from the same colony that i bought from them 6 months before. I will continue to shop there. I also live 5 minutes from them so i want to give them my support/ business.

David B.