Wamas In person Meeting

SkiCurtis

(edited)

Hello Wamas,

I'm just wondering what the plans are for an in person meeting since it's been a few years with everything that's been going on in the world.

Yeah things are different NOW are we going to be able to meet in person?

Maybe for the people who don't feel comfortable coming don't need to be involved? like stay home?

Maybe we can just meet outside?

I'm just hoping this hasn't turned into another online forum that's already out there......

I know I'm opening up a canna worms but it seems like no one's bringing it up.

Just my thoughts. What are yours?

Happy Reefing

Curtis

Edited by SkiCurtis

I too miss the in person meetings….though I know they are a lot of work….hopefully some day….I still have people stop by here and there for frags….I think once I get my new build going I will try to have a tank tour at my house.  I always learned a lot by seeing other people’s tanks….

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be great to have a meeting. My local group SMMAS has meetings every other month and they're fun! People bring things to trade, there are raffle's and more. I'm sure it'd be a bit more difficult for a group in this region without renting a space or finding a space for free but I'd chip in to have a meet with this group.

Morning!!!

Just an update. The admins of WAMAS is working hard in the background to coordinate an in person meeting. More information to come! 

Excited to see everyone again soon :clap:

Great thanks for keeping us informed!

If there's any help needed to make this in person meeting please reach out to me!

Curtis

I honestly believe, now in hindsight,  that part of the reason I was letting my tank go all that time, was a loss of the enthusiasm that having in person meetings peovides. Even with the meetings only 4 times a year, there was always a buildup to meeting time, excitement on the boards the few days before a meeting, the meeting itself and getting to see folks and have people to yabber with about tank stuff which family members are sick of hearing and wouldn't understand.  Then after the meetings for a couple months there would be enthusiasm with either experimenting with things learned from speakers, or watching progress on growth of frags purchased at the meeting, and also for some lucky people, some fun with new equipment won in the raffle. Then there would be about a month of chill time, then the buildup to the next meeting that would be a month away. I wish I didn't have to skip most Saturday meetings because of work... gonna try to get off for the upcoming meeting, but it might not be possible.

I'm kind of wondering if part of the reason the forum has been so quiet the last couple of years, has been a reduction in enthusiasm due to not having in person meetings. The forums used to be very busy, lots of people posting frequently. It's practically dead now in comparison to several years ago.

6 hours ago, treesprite said:

I honestly believe, now in hindsight,  that part of the reason I was letting my tank go all that time, was a loss of the enthusiasm that having in person meetings peovides. Even with the meetings only 4 times a year, there was always a buildup to meeting time, excitement on the boards the few days before a meeting, the meeting itself and getting to see folks and have people to yabber with about tank stuff which family members are sick of hearing and wouldn't understand.  Then after the meetings for a couple months there would be enthusiasm with either experimenting with things learned from speakers, or watching progress on growth of frags purchased at the meeting, and also for some lucky people, some fun with new equipment won in the raffle. Then there would be about a month of chill time, then the buildup to the next meeting that would be a month away. I wish I didn't have to skip most Saturday meetings because of work... gonna try to get off for the upcoming meeting, but it might not be possible.

I'm kind of wondering if part of the reason the forum has been so quiet the last couple of years, has been a reduction in enthusiasm due to not having in person meetings. The forums used to be very busy, lots of people posting frequently. It's practically dead now in comparison to several years ago.

Completely agree. Thanks for the post!

On 7/7/2022 at 12:56 AM, treesprite said:

Treesprite Very well said!!

I wish I spent more time explaining to others basically in your words. :(

In Person meetings enlighten people...It's what the club is all about!  Missing that interaction will kill the club. I had some conversation with some people up in Reef Palooza a few weeks ago... I won't mention any names. Anyway this person has been in the business for a very long time and has seen different clubs around the country go downhill because of the lack of in person meetings for one reason or another. 

If we don't have in person meetings then we're just another online forum. Unfortunately there is already a leader in the "online forum realm".

I am very glad the club is having an in person meeting, even if some people can't make it.

I feel it's very important! even though I've been reefing forever Like Treesprite said there is a build up in enthusiasm with anticipation.

Curtis

I managed to find work coverage, so I will be able to attend. I look forward to seeing folks!

I couldn't post on the meeting thread so though I'd ask the officers when we'll know who the vendors will be (assuming we'll have them)? Am I going to see some Dr. Mac clams or will Graham have his setup?

4 hours ago, howaboutme said:

I couldn't post on the meeting thread so though I'd ask the officers when we'll know who the vendors will be (assuming we'll have them)? Am I going to see some Dr. Mac clams or will Graham have his setup?

Great question! We are currently in the process of getting folks signed up! As folks sign up, we typically add them shortly thereafter to the meeting thread so all info is in one place.

If you'd like to have a vendor attend, please reach out to that vendor and encourage them to sign up! They're more likely to attend knowing they'll have an audience.

• 2 weeks later...

See the meeting thread for updated information regarding members/sponsors on site for sales.

I agree with Treesprite - it's been hard without having in-person meetings. In large part, it's been driven by the lack of space that was available to us for meeting. Just before our first cancelled meeting, Fairfax County Public Schools pulled the plug on community events. Montgomery County followed suit and we were left without public meeting spaces. We crossed our fingers, hoping that restrictions would lift (I think all of us did, didn't we?) sooner rather than later. Who honestly expected this to last two years plus?

As the pandemic wore on, we made the investments required and figured out a way to to hold virtual meetings. This we did on several occasions, even bringing some of the most influential people to the community that would otherwise have been difficult to do in-person (e.g., Rich Pyle). It helped to keep people engaged, but was no substitute for maintaining the sense of community that in-person meetings are so important for. 

If you've stayed on top of things, you'll see that we've not only announced our next meeting (in less than two weeks), but also our first FragFest in over three years (our last was July 2019). FragFest was historically a summer event, but we moved it to mid-October this year because we wanted to work out any of the kinks that we might experience with in-person meetings again.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of you again. It's been way too long. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been in the club long enough to have been at the last in person meeting, but I was wondering how the frag swap portion worked, and more specifically, if it were possible for me to sell some fish.  I've got a dozen or so little cardinals that are a decent size and would be happy to bring them along to sell and otherwise show off :tongue:

15 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

I haven't been in the club long enough to have been at the last in person meeting, but I was wondering how the frag swap portion worked, and more specifically, if it were possible for me to sell some fish.  I've got a dozen or so little cardinals that are a decent size and would be happy to bring them along to sell and otherwise show off :tongue:

If you plan to set up a table (tanks, heaters, etc.) see 

DaJMasta and I have been in contact. He'll be at the meeting.

Copps just messaged me, too. He'll be setting up a tank as well! A lot of good reasons to come to the meeting in-person on Saturday!

I would like to set up a small frag tank as well.

I did let DR.MAC (Pasfic east Aquaculture) know he was being requested at this meeting.

Curtis

1 hour ago, SkiCurtis said:

I would like to set up a small frag tank as well.

I did let DR.MAC (Pasfic east Aquaculture) know he was being requested at this meeting.

Curtis

Replied via PM. You're welcome to bring a small tank. See the PM for groundrules/expectations, Curtis. 

We'd love to see Dr. Mac. Hilary tried reaching out but I don't believe that he replied.

2 hours ago, SkiCurtis said:

Curtis

Haha, thanks! Unfortunately I won't be able to make tomorrow work. Super bummed about it. Hope to see you all at the frag swap event! 

PS. I was speaking about my earlier post inquiring as a customer.....

Edited by howaboutme

Geez first meeting back, and here I am running very late. I'm on my way though. Looking forward to seeing folks.