3.7g Pico

AlanM

I haven't had a tank in a couple of years, but I'm getting back in small.

I have one of the Petco 3.7g AIO cubes coming that I'll be setting up with some coral and an invert or two. 

I know this is how it starts, heh.  it's a small investment, but I'm intrigued by these very cheap little tanks with large filtration sections relative to the tank size.

Ideally I'll be looking to buy some small established rocks and sand from someone's tank.  This tank is so small you probably won't even notice they're gone. 8)

914e5e1090d676d4d11566f5a3dbb450.thumb.png.df59077ff33c8d2459e68972b12cf333.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice! I have that tank also, it’s great. I upgraded the pump to a sicce micra. I’m doing super low maintenance mostly rockflowers and xenia in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets goooooooo!

This metaphorical toe in the water is all you need to get back to that 180 :) Following along, love me some nano/pico tanks. 

28 minutes ago, Cliff Puckstable said:

Hey Alan are you still in Gaithersburg ? I can have left over rock you can have. 

Thanks, still in Gaithersburg, yep.  Once I'm ready for rock/sand I'll send you a PM.  I'm getting the tank today and then have a small cart of stuff to get: heater, heater controller, return pump upgrade, lights, salt, etc.  I'll probably go a bit powerful on the lights for a 4g in anticipation of the inevitable.  Deciding on a chinese PAR38 on the cheap end vs a Kessil A80 or an AI Prime HD.

1 hour ago, jhOU said:

Nice! I have that tank also, it’s great. I upgraded the pump to a sicce micra. I’m doing super low maintenance mostly rockflowers and xenia in mine

I'm glad someone else here has one.  I'm waiting to buy a return replacement until I get it here and can do detailed measurements.  I can't find good measurements of the filter sections online anywhere.

I have one of these in the cart waiting for those measurements: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/syncra-nano-pump-110-gph-sicce/ 

1 hour ago, maevepotter said:

Fun idea, Alan. So you don't have any other tank set up right now? I'm surprised!

No tank now.  I got rid of everything and was into brewing for a while, but sliding back into fish maybe. 

A pico like this isn't the ideal way to get back in, honestly, because the margin for error is small, and it will be easy to get discouraged if it fills up with cyano, heh, but the risk is small as well if I keep it simple.

8 minutes ago, jhOU said:

the return chamber is 2.5”x3.25”

Thanks!  That's bigger than the Fluval Spec III I had as a frag tank.

4 minutes ago, maevepotter said:

Definitely go for the p38 bulb if you're keeping it cheap. I use several kingbo bulbs over both of my tanks with great results.

OK.  That's the one I was looking at.

52 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Hey Alan...Good to hear. You still have your RA? Put that on there. Good luck!

Haha, no I got rid of all of the RA gear.  I'd be tempted to do that. 

I thought about how I'd like to use the new Apex too, but somehow putting an $800 controller on 4 gallons of water seems like overkill, even for me.

Just arrived.  Broken into many pieces.  Box is dented on the corner.  UPS.  Oh well.  They're sending a replacement.

Just arrived.  Broken into many pieces.  Box is dented on the corner.  UPS.  Oh well.  They're sending a replacement.

well that’s a bummer:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jhOU said:

well that’s a bummer:(

Yep.  It happens.  They're sending another one.  UPS again.  This one goes in the trash.  If the second one comes broken I'll just ask for a refund and go get one from the store locally.  I'm surprised at how thick the glass is on this little tank.  

9 hours ago, tpallas said:

Does that tank come with a pump and plumbing or do you have to do it?

It comes with a 40gph tiny pump and some tubing and a nozzle, so fully plumbed.

Here's what comes with it for filtration/plumbing.  It also comes with a glass lid and a light that would work for just fish, but not for corals.

The filtration is a sponge, some large grain carbon under that mesh pictured, and some sintered glass beads bacteria media, common in freshwater filters.  It's not a bad setup.  There are slots in the first chamber for the beads and carbon to slide into.  The sponge goes in the second slot, the return goes in the third.  I'll probably just put some floss and thermometer in the first slot and a heater in the second.

1587327586_PXL_20210127_133746427(Small).jpg.acdbbe8d5c8118e8b1d2b679e8d612e9.jpg

Tank 2 arrive intact!

This one wasn't packed in any external box, just a shipping label slapped on the aquarium box.  I think that's probably better because UPS knew what it was and that they couldn't toss it around.  

Lights and everything else are incoming from saltwateraquarium.com.  I ended up ordering a Kessil A80.

8 hours ago, Thorite said:

Glad to hear the second tank wasnt damaged.?

What are your plans for topping off the tank? By hand daily or ato?

Yes, by hand.  It has a glass top that fits over the entire top of the tank with a small gap along the sides and back so I don't expect too much evaporation.  Plastic clips on the side hold it up inside the rimless tank. 

It's a cruddy picture, but you can see it here:

1474825068_PXL_20210129_015232938(Small).jpg.fc5946afb098498121768eb856e59749.jpg

It's wet! I just have RO water in it for now.

It's so small. It's 9"W x 6.5"D x 9"H.  It's small enough that if I go on vacation I can just bring it with me in the car. 8)

PXL_20210129_214541188.thumb.jpg.140e3a0d48dc9d87826859e10544f314.jpg

I put the Sicce Syncra Nano in there as a return pump and put an Innovative Marine Spin Stream on the exit nozzle.  It slowly turns and makes a full rotation in about 30 seconds.  The pump says it puts out 110gph, and it's about the minimum that would make the spin stream work.  I had to move the spin stream around to make sure I really got all the bubbles out before it would go.

It has a 10W Sicce Jolly heater, and an Inkbird temperature controller.  

The light is a Kessil A80.  I just have it plugged in right now, but will install a Kessil wired light controller to run it.  It kind of floods the area with light, so I may look around to see if anyone is 3D printing shrouds for it to try to keep the shadows in.