Our New Living Room Mixed Reef

tpallas

8 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I don't often know what I want so asking wouldn't work for me. I pick mostly based on color and texture to give my tank a balance (or I hope). I was planning to head there on Saturday but since it's Masters weekend, I'm on the couch. Maybe I'll bid on something this weekend so I have a good reason.

Tidal Gardens has nice stuff. I like their youtube videos. Looking forward to seeing your haul!

I’ve done a lot of coral mounting today so a lot is closed up and butthurt, but here’s a FTS from tonight:

B379EB94-64C1-48BF-803F-683573B232D0.thumb.jpeg.050d515594d610e1d9b9d0404ead06e0.jpeg

The three Goni frags. New one from tidal gardens is the red one on the left:

C999EF7D-31C8-4097-83CD-0F2191656159.thumb.jpeg.93057a8505c9e14488f41732434651a9.jpeg

Scoly addition:

3161A1C1-C91C-43C3-890A-C4F62A5B1C5C.thumb.jpeg.4580c4c55de540e18b76401785b6ee85.jpeg

Two lobos that Steve Velasco sent me last year. I mounted them on the left hand side of the tank, so you can view it from the side panel of the tank. It’s fun and works well and they’re happy to be there. Have colored up nicely!

AE3354AD-0C18-4425-A774-065163DA2BB7.thumb.jpeg.9f07fc84fb05bd646ff026bc719fd0ef.jpeg

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

"Our New Living Room LPS Reef"

Hey what are your observations on mixing zoas and sps in proximity?

17 minutes ago, tpallas said:

Hey what are your observations on mixing zoas and sps in proximity?

I've seen no issues, they will shade around the base sometimes, but I find that if you move SPS or put it back into light, it takes about 2 weeks tops to color back up again. 

I've seen no issues, they will shade around the base sometimes, but I find that if you move SPS or put it back into light, it takes about 2 weeks tops to color back up again. 

I epoxy frags directly to the rock, my concern would be it would shade the base and I'd be stuck...

20 minutes ago, tpallas said:

I epoxy frags directly to the rock, my concern would be it would shade the base and I'd be stuck...

I am at the stage in which I glue cut plugs overtop zoas. 

I am at the stage in which I glue cut plugs overtop zoas. 

Yeah, I think I’m gonna play it safe and keep the zoas on separate rocks.

Saw the tank today.  This trachy is like nothing I've ever seen before.  

The colors are more brilliant than this in person:

1113974053_PXL_20210417_180811048(Medium).jpg.ca183faa9499a8014430dbb2c0e2edef.jpg

It's been a bad couple of days. We had one trachy that was looking ill, I had originally thought from bleaching. Now we have lost that trachy, one additional one on the way out, and the final two (rainbow and green) showing signs. They tighten up, gape at the mouth for several days, and then start to come apart. Also spread to the torches to varying degrees (lost on this AM, others half closed), the gonis are closed up, and a plate. Looking at all of the numbers, and how happy the SPS and zoas look, I think it's a bacterial infection. Alk has been really stable hovering around 9. It's only LPS, and some LPS at that. In fact it's going for the NICEST LPS! It's incredibly frustrating. I did a Coral RX dip yesterday, a 1:1 hydrogen peroxide/saltwater dip today, iodine is on its way and should be here tomorrow. Highly worried about losing this prize trachy, everything has gone totally downhill in a matter of 48 hours. Any other ideas or thoughts?

Two trachys after the dip. Shrink up and gape at the mouth. Pink one did this for several days and now is coming apart. Removed it from the tank completely. These two are following the exact same pattern, I hope today’s peroxide dip will help and iodine arriving tomorrow. 

96FEBA84-666B-45AB-A3A3-8E542FEA0BB3.thumb.jpeg.9ae344802689abbb447b59887724215f.jpeg

EAACDDD7-3C91-43A6-92E9-9F62EC23052A.thumb.jpeg.4178c3d23ccb9fe30f41d3d165c8dd0c.jpeg

No additional ideas. Revive and the one to one peroxide and water dip has worked for me in the past with Goniopora‘s and brown jelly/suspected bacterial infections.

I don’t think you are very close to me, (21061 off of route 100). I do have a couple bottles of lugols. You may have also been able to pick up iodine at the pharmacy.

Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should note that I have also applied hydrogen peroxide at 3% directly to the coral with a pipet at the location of the infection for approximately 1 to 2 minutes and then transferred to the diluted peroxide dip.

4 minutes ago, therootcause said:

I should note that I have also applied hydrogen peroxide at 3% directly to the coral with a pipet at the location of the infection for approximately 1 to 2 minutes and then transferred to the diluted peroxide dip.

Thanks! How long do you dip for and and what dilution?

Tom, I've got a couple bottles of lugols as well, which if you think will be helpful can find a way to get to you today/tonight. 

I was just looking at the lobos above your scolys, and was reminded how aggressive they are. 

I can't remember, and don't have time to look through photos, but make sure there isn't anything that is close to them that might be stinging or throwing out feelers. Also, make sure there's no fish in there that might be nipping or agitating them with sand. 

Thanks! How long do you dip for and and what dilution?

1:1 peroxide and tank water for about five minutes while agitating with a Turkey baster every minute.

This was a last ditch effort that saved a few gonis for me. The polyps that were lost never grew back but the remainder of the coral is healthy.

8 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

Good luck with the treatments!  Glad hydrogen peroxide is possible to find in the stores again...

Thanks - I snagged the last 2 bottles from Giant!

Well, we had a crappy week. Total losses, the 4 trachys, 3 torches and a fungia. It hit the trachys really, really hard - they deteriorated from the mouths outwards. Was able to save some torches and euphyllia. Acans, scolys, lobos, SPS and soft corals totally unaffected. In fact the SPS is very fuzzy and the various frags are starting to encrust. The gonis and blastos were affected, but recovered. All of this was in the course of 8 or 9 days. It's pretty disappointing given how unique the rainbow trachy was. So, just planning on letting the tank run as is for a while and focus on growing out the SPS for a bit. 

44 minutes ago, tpallas said:

Well, we had a crappy week. Total losses, the 4 trachys, 3 torches and a fungia. It hit the trachys really, really hard - they deteriorated from the mouths outwards. Was able to save some torches and euphyllia. Acans, scolys, lobos, SPS and soft corals totally unaffected. In fact the SPS is very fuzzy and the various frags are starting to encrust. The gonis and blastos were affected, but recovered. All of this was in the course of 8 or 9 days. It's pretty disappointing given how unique the rainbow trachy was. So, just planning on letting the tank run as is for a while and focus on growing out the SPS for a bit. 

Sorry to hear. These gut punches from the hobby really hurt. 

Dang brother, sorry to hear it. 

BUT now I can officially say I have the nicest trachy this side of the Mississippi again. 

In all seriousness though, I'm right there with you just growing out now, trying not to add. 

That's terrible.  I wonder if a root cause will become apparent over time.  It does seem like you had some infection that took out just the LPS.  For what it's worth I haven't seen any ill effects in my little tank from the stuff you sent home with me after adding it, but I don't have LPS either.  I have a tiny amount of SPS, ricordia, xenia, and zoas.