Our New Living Room Mixed Reef

tpallas

1 hour ago, tpallas said:

To view, or to upload? I thought I read that YouTube doesnt support HD iOS video uploads but maybe I'm wrong.

I know! We're trying to have a baby so I'm automating as much as I can. And TBH the more I install, the easier it becomes, and it makes the hobby a lot more enjoyable and much less stress. 

On the good news front, I had a phone call with Neptune tech support and we got the Trident working. Really glad I didn't have to send it back in. We ran water through some of the internal hoses, which is evidently there was some sort of blockage. Not sure if they do this in production or not.

Also used some Gorilla double sided tape to mount the exhaust fan. This makes a pretty big difference in the humidity in the stand. I've been keeping the side door open this whole time but now with the fan I think it's kept at acceptable levels.

13.thumb.jpg.94d741d8e932125f339b9e4fa3d51b92.jpg

To view you can select the setting button and change quality of the video.

as for upload, you need to go to your account settings and choose the quality of your uploads.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Hey, cool news about the kid, GL! 

Like Chuck, I'm still running old school, but for me it's out of time. 

FWIW, you're inspiring me. I've had this Aquabox sump which I think I'm going to swap out with any old Ruby Trigger 36, which means I'll have to actually put some thought into the redesign underneath. Your pictures gave me hope that I might be able to fit a Trident under my stand, but after you provided measurements it's a no go for me. 

Looking back over your photos this is incredibly clean, when I had my stand built, I accounted for the sump and ATO container, but that was about it. I'm slightly jealous! 

The one thing I traded space for was the ATO container. I just like large, 10 gallon+ containers and I needed the space under the tank for other things. So we are going to get  matching piece of furniture - maybe a bench of a side table - that the ATO container will be under. Right now it's just a HD 5 gallon bucket next to the tnak.

But for your stand - hang on! There may still be hope. I hit up a guy on Reef2Reef who had a really awesome Trident stand that was mounted to his tank stand wall. He sent me the link so you could get it printed if it would fit on the wall:

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2a31a75/g/shares/SH56a43QTfd62c1cd968967c6bf437c44b13?viewState=NoIgbgDAdAjCA0IDeAdEAXAngBwKZoC40ARXAZwEsBzAOzXjQEMyzd1C0AOCAMwBZGEAEwBjALQBOAMyc%2BYgQHZOkgKwq5CnlIBs2xgu08R2qWgC%2BIALpA

Worst case scenario, I could see the Trident fitting in a side cabinet or something like that pretty easily. You are just restricted to the length of the intake tubing and having the Trident situated above the intake level. Other than that I think you could hide it away pretty easy. 

6 hours ago, tpallas said:

But for your stand - hang on! There may still be hope. I hit up a guy on Reef2Reef who had a really awesome Trident stand that was mounted to his tank stand wall. He sent me the link so you could get it printed if it would fit on the wall:

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2a31a75/g/shares/SH56a43QTfd62c1cd968967c6bf437c44b13?viewState=NoIgbgDAdAjCA0IDeAdEAXAngBwKZoC40ARXAZwEsBzAOzXjQEMyzd1C0AOCAMwBZGEAEwBjALQBOAMyc%2BYgQHZOkgKwq5CnlIBs2xgu08R2qWgC%2BIALpA

Worst case scenario, I could see the Trident fitting in a side cabinet or something like that pretty easily. You are just restricted to the length of the intake tubing and having the Trident situated above the intake level. Other than that I think you could hide it away pretty easy. 

Very cool, bromigo, thanks for passing along!

Working on the dosing setup. While I’m waiting for the dosing containers from Lifereef, I’m installing the tubing. Since the pumps will be on the opposite sides of the stand, the tubing runs a bit awkwardly but I think I’ve got a good layout. Got the first pump done. Really looking forward to having the Trident auto dose to my desired levels, what a breakthrough in the hobby.

87FFCD11-561E-4AFB-BB14-88FF8BD26373.thumb.jpeg.4453dca6eda8ffdc2bf68f7d8f973961.jpeg

7EFA1FE9-F24E-4234-AA93-83B6EAB074AA.thumb.jpeg.eeb7349f494423fbd91ec68f75db2cb1.jpeg

The last week has brought good news and bad news. On the bad news, bryopsis somewhere made it through my dips. There was a bit of a tuft or two here and there, until this past week when it exploded. Interestingly, the bristletooth has been eating some. However, we’ve been down the bryopsis road before so I dosed flucanzole on Thursday. It’s just impossible to deal with otherwise so it should take a week or two to melt away. 

On the good news front, coralline is starting to grow all over the rocks in the main display. In the picture below you can see the pink dots amid the green feathers. In a couple of weeks hope only to see the former!

4258CA31-F7BE-4192-9437-50C77695209A.thumb.jpeg.37bcded5384b6bf98696424ce3cf67a2.jpeg

Flucanzole ftw. I’ve been down that road before as well, and up until a recent addition of some frag, had the same thing happen. You take off the skimmer collection and all that jazz? I monitored pretty close last time, but don’t have the patience to do it this round...

14 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Flucanzole ftw. I’ve been down that road before as well, and up until a recent addition of some frag, had the same thing happen. You take off the skimmer collection and all that jazz? I monitored pretty close last time, but don’t have the patience to do it this round...

Yeah, in fact 3 days just passed so I just turned the skimmer back on, took the reactors offline as well. I can see some of the bryopsis starting to turn white. We battled it for a year in the 11.4 gallon before the Reef Flux came on the market and it was a miracle when we used it that time. Thank god for the stuff, trying to manage it is a losing battle. 

Small update. Finished wiring and tubing mounting for the dosing pumps. Not sure what I’ll use the 4th pump for so leaving it open for now. On to calibrating and setting up auto dosing this weekend.

0B5CAA89-33CA-4BF5-9351-7224857EBDE8.thumb.jpeg.3df31cf2049acc4c33bbe50d0b9d3ed2.jpeg

Calibrated the pumps - one piece of advice is to do that after you cut the tubing to length but before you install everything. Since I don’t have the Lifereef dosing containers yet I’ve gone for a somewhat less than elegant solution in the meantime. But, I’m officially up and running on Trident controlled dosing. You have to set the maximum daily dosing amounts so I think it will take a couple of days to get everything dialed in. Going for 9.0 alk, 440 ca and 1350 mag.

40FC4E13-5B7A-45FA-A945-BBFBDFD13F28.thumb.jpeg.623070711acf9ddbbbe6a3d90a8a6337.jpeg

420B9050-93F4-4C44-99D0-BC585F6A271F.thumb.png.5e668939681c9bc6b46314183b9c3a98.png

945EBCB4-A777-498A-A700-C4DF63CD10C4.thumb.png.8db3e93b7b76933bcd61882f5ac0e44c.png

A6B67D20-9542-4B77-A75D-F6F070964910.thumb.png.98d88fd42ce04f7d943a8073b75ab91b.png

Does the trident cause the Apex system to also add Ca and Mg in balanced amounts with the Alkalinity?  I haven't read up on it, but that's what it looks like it's doing from those screenshots.

7 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Does the trident cause the Apex system to also add Ca and Mg in balanced amounts with the Alkalinity?  I haven't read up on it, but that's what it looks like it's doing from those screenshots.

Do you mean to stay is proportion?

Yes, you are adding carbonate ions when the Trident doses alkalinity, so you'd also want to add calcium ions to match with the carbonate since the corals growing are making calcium carbonate.  But it's a bit complicated because bacteria and algae also use carbonate.  

I was wondering if the Trident measurements and calculated dosing drives dosing of the Ca and Mg as well or if you're setting the dose of Ca and Mg the "normal" way where you measure a few times over a few days and tweak the ml/hr to match consumption to keep a desired ppm number.

17 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Yes, you are adding carbonate ions when the Trident doses alkalinity, so you'd also want to add calcium ions to match with the carbonate since the corals growing are making calcium carbonate.  But it's a bit complicated because bacteria and algae also use carbonate.  

I was wondering if the Trident measurements and calculated dosing drives dosing of the Ca and Mg as well or if you're setting the dose of Ca and Mg the "normal" way where you measure a few times over a few days and tweak the ml/hr to match consumption to keep a desired ppm number.

Ah I see. I don’t know if they account for that. The Trident measures all 3 four times daily and then tries to remain as close as possible to those inputs within my daily ML amount and the percent tolerance you enter. If it calculates beyond that, I don’t know.

18 hours ago, tpallas said:

Ah I see. I don’t know if they account for that. The Trident measures all 3 four times daily and then tries to remain as close as possible to those inputs within my daily ML amount and the percent tolerance you enter. If it calculates beyond that, I don’t know.

Ah, I'm so out of it.  I didn't realize it measured all three of them.  I thought it just did alkalinity.  When I get a reef bigger than 3g I'm putting one of them on it.

26 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Ah, I'm so out of it.  I didn't realize it measured all three of them.  I thought it just did alkalinity.  When I get a reef bigger than 3g I'm putting one of them on it.

Ok, now your question makes a lot more sense! Yes it measures all 3 which makes life very easy. I definitely recommend the investment. There are other units coming out like the Mastertronic that does at least as much but I like the interoperability the Neptune components provide to seamlessly automate the end to end process.

We went to Supreme Reefs on Friday and got a couple of nice frags. First is this incredible rainbow acan that he has. There are a few frags in the store, not many and Ben said he’s been growing this out and releasing limited frags over the years. We loved it right away and got the smallest frag he had (one small head and a baby head). It’s still getting used to the new tank, but you can see the coloration below. The color palette is nearly identical to our rainbow trachy which is awesome. Can’t wait to grow it out but Ben did say it was a slow grower.

A030E37A-87A0-4AAC-B247-6FF636BCCA64.thumb.jpeg.258a22841597b2d52b1c6758c6b84948.jpeg

8AEFC4FB-5679-4D73-9502-F5675805782D.thumb.jpeg.9dd75659329e96acfa5ada59ea9cc55c.jpeg

The other 2 frags are gonis. Grown from mother colonies that he has is the display tank and those are just exceptional. The color isn’t represented well here and they obviously need time to grow & mature. 

48A72380-C864-4AE7-8FEF-15750AC284D5.thumb.jpeg.fe2c646f79666a8082778b0ced0d28df.jpeg

(edited)

Nice! I checked out Supreme Reefs this weekend. Nice shop but wasn't blown away. Definitely geared towards LPS folks so I can see why you netted some good stuff. I remember Ben from his Petco I mean Petland? days so good to hear he's running this. Prices are a bit meh though.

You've got some color in the sand bed already!

Edited by howaboutme

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Nice! I checked out Supreme Reefs this weekend. Nice shop but wasn't blown away. Definitely geared towards LPS folks so I can see why you netted some good stuff. I remember Ben from his Petco I mean Petland? days so good to hear he's running this. Prices are a bit meh though.

You've got some color in the sand bed already!

Yeah if you're going for SPS it isn't that, but then again I don't think anywhere local is geared towards that. The three pieces we liked most, we left with! 

Yeah. I'm looking for a reason to head to Coral Dragon. I was about to bid on a few items this past weekend but the stuff I'm looking for was iffy compared the weeks past. Maybe I'll just go.

So we got 2 cleaner shrimp a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed today that one has eggs. You can kind of make them out in this picture. It’s a little busy as it was feeding time. 

137B8EE6-30ED-4227-961F-97A99F011CB7.thumb.jpeg.702ecb7c416cf4c2a0a7ad81ec98ad8f.jpeg

On 4/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, YHSublime said:

Filling up with fire man!

So as it turns out my wife is as excited about reef tanks as I am, so it works out well! We got an order in from the Reef2Reef Tidal Gardens live sale this weekend (and a second shipment coming tomorrow), got some acros, scolys, zoas, a tubastrea, and a red goni. Will post some pics, been busy acclimatizing and mounting everything.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, howaboutme said:

Yeah. I'm looking for a reason to head to Coral Dragon. I was about to bid on a few items this past weekend but the stuff I'm looking for was iffy compared the weeks past. Maybe I'll just go.

Yeah, I didn't see anything last week that piqued my interest. I thought it was worthwhile to go, they have a nice selection. You can also message them on Facebook messenger for specific requests and they are good about sending pics on their current livestock. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, tpallas said:

Yeah, I didn't see anything last week that piqued my interest. I thought it was worthwhile to go, they have a nice selection. You can also message them on Facebook messenger for specific requests and they are good about sending pics on their current livestock. 

I don't often know what I want so asking wouldn't work for me. I pick mostly based on color and texture to give my tank a balance (or I hope). I was planning to head there on Saturday but since it's Masters weekend, I'm on the couch. Maybe I'll bid on something this weekend so I have a good reason.

Tidal Gardens has nice stuff. I like their youtube videos. Looking forward to seeing your haul!

Edited by howaboutme