Marine Scene Disappointment

Guest mkprice

Guest mkprice

Well, I have been going to the Marine Scene off and on over the last few years. Started getting more of my stuff from BRK and online because I wasn't crazy about the prices at Marine Scene. Still, I would stop by and pick up a few things here and there, mostly because I could bring in some of my corals and swap them for a store credit.

Several weeks ago, a good friend of mine went in to get lights for her daughter's new tank. Marine Scene sold her a MH/PC light combo, even though she told them her daughter was mostly interested in softies and maybe a few LPS's, no SPS, no clams... Light cost $700+ and they wouldn't honor the WAMAS discount even though her daughter was a member (with membership card in hand) because she wasn't on the official list yet.

I talked to her the next day and we decided to take the light back - it was a lot of money and overkill for what they needed - opted to go with T5 lighting instead and save a few hundred dollars they could spend on other things!! When we went back, they tried to tell her that lights were not returnable. They fell under a one line exception on the return policy (ie lights aren't listed as being non-returnable, but there is a line at the bottom that says they reserve the right to not accept returns on certain items). Best I can tell, that means they can say pretty much everything they sell is non-returnable!!

Finally, after heated discussion the next day with the manager?/owner?, they agreed to refund her money, but basically told her she wasn't welcome in the store anymore!@! How's that for great customer service!@!@!

That's the last time I'll go back there. Now I just need to find another fish store that wants a steady supply of Xenia and green star polyps!

Michele

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it sucks that you've had that experience, whether at Marine Scene or anywhere else. Although I haven't had too much trouble with Marine Scene (the people that work there have been very helpfull with me)....I've always had a problem with their prices. I don't know how else might be available to take frags, but being as your are in Gainesville area (I'm not too far away) I know the people at the Cozy Clownfish in Manassas were trying to buy xenia off of me. I'm almost ready to frag, but when I do, I believe for all the help I've received from this forum I will offer half to members at a good price and the rest to the stores. How much has Marine Scene been buying your frags for?

That's a really poor way to treat a customer, shame on them. If handled properly they would have had a future customer to sell too, as it was left, there is no doubt that you or your freind will not be returning (like they really needed to tell you not to come back lol).

Light cost $700+ and they wouldn't honor the WAMAS discount even though her daughter was a member (with membership card in hand) because she wasn't on the official list yet.

That alone would made me have walked out of the store without the lights.

I have only bought a few things from them but I can attest to the customer service issues. I have been in there multiple times where I'd walk the whole store two or three times and nobody would ask if I needed anything. I could see if they were all waiting on other customers but that wasn't the case. Every time I go in with the expectation of getting something but the last three times I've walked out with nothing because of that. To me, three strikes and you're out.

For emergencies, I go there. That's about it. Most recently I bought a maxi-jet 1200 for (get this) $42! And it costs $20 at petco, except they didn't have any in stock. Problem is, it's right across 7100 from where I work :( so it's too darned convenient.

One of the staffers there actually spoke highly of aquapods too which I found hilarious.

but basically told her she wasn't welcome in the store anymore!

Well that kinda works out okay :lol: Given the service who would want to go back?

I haven't frequented ALL the stores in the area but been to quite a few & so far only 1 has any clue how to run a retail establishment.

#1 - Competitive prices

#2 - Good selection

#3 - Good service

#4 - Not the same old "petco" type stuff

Anyone guess? :) (got $5 it's the same vendor that's causing MS some business)

there and was happy with the reeftank till they folded.

Yeah, nothing more fun than going to the "empty tank" store, the expression "....bad luggage" comes to mind.

has anyone talked to Melissa or Tom (owner) to hear the other side of the story? Not that it matters, but anyone wonders why they didn't want to take the lights back in the first place?

For emergencies, I go there. That's about it. Most recently I bought a maxi-jet 1200 for (get this) $42! And it costs $20 at petco, except they didn't have any in stock. Problem is, it's right across 7100 from where I work :( so it's too darned convenient.

One of the staffers there actually spoke highly of aquapods too which I found hilarious.

What wrong with aquapods? I really like mine. Am I missing something important?

Well that kinda works out okay :lol: Given the service who would want to go back?

I haven't frequented ALL the stores in the area but been to quite a few & so far only 1 has any clue how to run a retail establishment.

#1 - Competitive prices

#2 - Good selection

#3 - Good service

#4 - Not the same old "petco" type stuff

Anyone guess? :) (got $5 it's the same vendor that's causing MS some business)

Yeah, nothing more fun than going to the "empty tank" store, the expression "....bad luggage" comes to mind.

oooh, ohhh, can I guess?! lol

Guest mkprice

Jake-

Melissa is who we first dealt with when we first tried to take the lights back. She said she couldn't approve the return, Tom would have to do it. There was no good reason not to take the lights back. They were bought out of stock, not a special order. The box had never been opened, and they were bought within a couple of weeks of returning them. To this day, I have no idea why they didn't want to refund the money. Tom is who my friend spoke to the next day on the phone after repeatedly calling him, and he is the one who argued with her and said their policy was no return on lights...period. If that's what they want, then they should have that clearly stated in their return policy. They don't. I read the return policy carefully that day - it's taped to the front desk!

This is after my friend has spent a fair amount of money stocking her daughter's 24g cube over the last year and is now setting up a 72g. At the same time they purchased the light, they purchased $500 in live rock and 45 gallons of salt water!

So, talk to Tom or Melissa! I would love to hear a reason for this lousy customer service. They have lost two more customers, from now on we are sticking with BRK.

Michele

Michele

Thank you for the explanation. Apparently there is a lack of customer service and customer satisfaction on their end. It seems all they want to do is sell, sell, sell...no matter what. And this incident is proof. Sorry you went through this but again you now know that there are some others out there willing and eager to take your business.. it all depends on who wants to keep you coming into their store. Stick with F&F and BRK they both so far are providing WAMAS a great deal of support.

The real problem here is that we're not marine scene's key customers. When I go there, there are a high number of suits that walk through the door. Folks who don't *really* know what they're doing but are following some recipe for maintaining their tanks and when things die -- who cares? Buy more. Folks for whom money is not really much of an issue for piddly sub thousand dollar sums.

The real problem here is that we're not marine scene's key customers. When I go there, there are a high number of suits that walk through the door. Folks who don't *really* know what they're doing but are following some recipe for maintaining their tanks and when things die -- who cares? Buy more. Folks for whom money is not really much of an issue for piddly sub thousand dollar sums.

If you guys happen to bump into any of these people please point them in the BRK direction I would love to talk to them. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I believe its those folks who arent nessecarily indifferent, justa bit naive and ignorant, that really need to be shown proper care techniques as the reef is NOT an unlimited source of livestock. Might be considered bad business at first but " teach a man to fish" instead of just feeding them kind of mentality is what separates mine and Johns store from the others.

Oh and Byron.... Ill fight ya for 'em :gho:

Haha Just messin

Sean

I believe its those folks who arent nessecarily indifferent, justa bit naive and ignorant, that really need to be shown proper care techniques as the reef is NOT an unlimited source of livestock. Might be considered bad business at first but " teach a man to fish" instead of just feeding them kind of mentality is what separates mine and Johns store from the others.

Oh and Byron.... Ill fight ya for 'em :gho:

Haha Just messin

Sean

LOL I called dibs on the naive customers with endless bank accounts!

=Byron

Oh and Sean your website is down. :biggrin:

What wrong with aquapods? I really like mine. Am I missing something important?

I think they were talking about the aquapods in a bottle, not the tanks. There are claims of hundreds of creatures in the bottle, yet a so small no one can see them. Like $25 a bottle (at most place, not sure about MS price.)

I think they were talking about the aquapods in a bottle, not the tanks. There are claims of hundreds of creatures in the bottle, yet a so small no one can see them. Like $25 a bottle (at most place, not sure about MS price.)

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I wuv my itsy bitsy little pod, but don't need the ones in the bottle. I do, however, have these magic beans I'll trade for a queen angel :-).