Lets talk Calcium Reactors

YHSublime

Hey WAMAS!

I'm slowly building out a calcium reactor, and there are a lot of opinions and strong thoughts along the way. 

First, let me start with I'm looking at the Reef Octopus Varios CR200 8" for a 180 gallon. This will be an acro dominated tank, and with a high alk demand, should support up to 200 gallons. If by sizing up here, will it limit the efficiency of the reactor, or cause problems? Are there any other brands/models that work well you have been happy with? 

I already have the regulator and solenoid, which I have been told is the best carbon doser on the market.

I have a CO2 tank

I'm not quite sure what constitutes as an Effluent Feed Pump.

For the PH probe I will most likely go with something that hooks up to an APEX. 

What's the best reactor media to use? 

Am I missing anything else? 

I use a Geo that i am quite happy with.

https://www.geosreef.com/product-category/equipment/reactors/calcium-reactors/

I think mine is a 618. I added an Avast reactor as my second chamber (it was cheaper and i had one lying abound).

Lot of people talk about the carbon doser, but i do not use one and i doubt the cost is worth it. I do not tune the reactor based on bubble rate, I use the pH of the CaRx chamber to control it so i think the extra cost may not be worth it.

I set the effelent rate to about 80-100 mls/min and never change it. I increase or decrease the ph in the chamber to tune it.

5 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

That’s quite a price tag!

Yea but I don’t have an apex. So when you factor setting up a system from scratch, getting an apex, carbon doser, reactor, secondary chamber and extra PH probe. The total price is actually more then the DaStaco 

5 minutes ago, menglish said:

I use a Geo that i am quite happy with.

https://www.geosreef.com/product-category/equipment/reactors/calcium-reactors/

I think mine is a 618. I added an Avast reactor as my second chamber (it was cheaper and i had one lying abound).

Lot of people talk about the carbon doser, but i do not use one and i doubt the cost is worth it. I do not tune the reactor based on bubble rate, I use the pH of the CaRx chamber to control it so i think the extra cost may not be worth it.

I set the effelent rate to about 80-100 mls/min and never change it. I increase or decrease the ph in the chamber to tune it.

I already have the carbon doser, so there's that! 

2 minutes ago, epleeds said:

Yea but I don’t have an apex. So when you factor setting up a system from scratch, getting an apex, carbon doser, reactor, secondary chamber and extra PH probe. The total price is actually more then the DaStaco 

Sure, but I guess the Apex has more function than just adjusting for the carx!

That’s true. But I have never found the need for a full blown apex. 

but if you already have that and other pieces then it makes sense to go the other way. 

I personally was going to go with a big GEO before I decided on DaStaco. 

22 minutes ago, epleeds said:

That’s true. But I have never found the need for a full blown apex. 

but if you already have that and other pieces then it makes sense to go the other way. 

I personally was going to go with a big GEO before I decided on DaStaco. 

I don't already have one, I'm also in the midst of deciding if I want to go Trident and ditch the Alkatronic. Seeing as it looks like everybody will inevitably be stuck at home forever, not as much need for an Apex. I've only looked at Reef Octopus because I believe they make the best skimmers across the board, so gotta figure they're doing the same with their reactors. 

21 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Someday I would like to be in the big boy/girl league. Still doing 2-part right now.

I plan on riding out 2 part for a long time. I realistically have the space, and could swap from ESV to BRS and see some savings, but I've already committed to an SPS based display. The angelfish and butterfly fish are already nipping at the softies that I've put in the tank. The GSP has retired completely with the addition of the Imperator. I have a hammer that's also getting eaten. I've gotta figure that the calcium reactor is the way.  

I use a Vertx RX-C 6D CaRX + Kamoer FX-STP peristaltic pump on the effluent output line.  I have a rock solid 2-stage valve/solenoid that goes from the CO2 tank to the CaRX.  For media, I am using Two Little Fishies ReBorn and ReMag.  The Apex manages this setup with the PH probe from the CaRX going into the Apex to set the high and the low levels of the PH.  At the high PH level, the outlet turns on the solenoid that lets in CO2 into the CaRX.  When the PH level reaches the low level setting, the solenoid shuts off.  I do have a Trident so I get measurements of ALK 4 times a day and calcium/magnesium 2 times a day.

To tune this setup, I set the output of the 2-stage valve to achieve about 2 bubbles per second and make sure that is consistent.  Then I set the output side of the peristaltic pump to be a consistent drip(50ml/min for my setup).    Once the input(CO2 gas) and the output(effluent) are at a consistent level, you only just adjust the PH probe high and low settings to achieve your desired ALK level.  At some point, you may also want to adjust the peristaltic pump output to match the level of ALK/CA/Mag consumption in your tank.

Do note, that Vertx is now out of business.  And Two Little Fishes ran into some sourcing issue with the ReBorn media.  But I think they are looking to get through that by the end of this summer.

I have a large Korallin reactor that I've used for over a decade now. I use a cabon doser regulator/solenoid to digitally control CO2 delivery to the reactor. I monitor and control the pH inside the reactor to manage effluent concentration, turning the carbon doser on when the pH gets too high and off when the pH drops below a threshold. I use a lab-grade masterflex peristaltic pump (programmed to deliver 80 ml/min) gated by my apex to precisely control exactly how many milliliters of effluent is dosed every hour. I use Caribsea's ARM media - extra coarse. Because I'm able to control effluent concentration and the delivered dose, I'm able to precisly control how much supplementation is delivered and, therefore, able to match consumption. Fundamentally, it's still open-loop control, but the approach enables a close-to set-it-and-forget-it with somewhat infrequent testing to verify that levels. One thing that I've learned with this approach is that, if I watch the trends in the diurnal pH swing, I'm able to qualitatively assess if I'm need to boost or reduce effluent dosage or if my CO2 cylinder is empty.

I bought the aqua maxx t2 and you can buy second chamber if there’s for $80. Very solid construction and can do up to 500 gallons. I bought the kamoer pump and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I used a LifeReef LCR1 Calcium reactor driven by a masterflex pump on my 200g.  It worked amazingly.   I still have the masterflex pump if you are interested.  My recommendation would be to use the 2 Little Fishies rebourn media.  it was really consistent.

Edited by sethsolomon

Rik how is that reactor running for you these days?  It really had me wanting to try it next. 
I have ran a few reactors and as long as you use a carbon doser and a masterflex then it’s a cakewalk. I don’t use ph probes anymore they just cause extra problems. Maybe would for a backup but it’s not even needed really. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 1:36 PM, Leishman said:

Pulled the trigger on this a few weeks ago, with the extra large additional chamber.