Lynn's Fish Room

47 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Wow, you're a really loud water drinker! ;)

I didn't realize you were that close to the water either, that's really nice! I agree it's time for a boat! 

Thank you. If someone want to donate to the lynn's boat fun, i would be happy to get one :thumbsup:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Thank you. If someone want to donate to the lynn's boat fun, i would be happy to get one :thumbsup:

A "Bo(at) fund me" 

I have this disorder ... when I get interested in something, I go overboard.

I started looking at culturing phyto and this happened ...

1661389179029.png

I have Nanno, Tetra, and Dun going pretty well now. I can't seem to not crash the brown ones and just made a new order to try again.

Coming this week:
Isochrysis galbana (Tahitian)
Phaeodactylum tricornutum
Chaetoceros gracilis
Chlorella

I'm in the hunt for a good source of Rhodomonas.

While I'm at it, I also started to learn about pods. So far, success on Apocyclops but my order of tisbe and tiger with podyourreef was not good. Took 4 days to arrive and i only saw around 10 that came alive. I will have to look for a better source.

1661389452833.png

If the disorder continues to worsen, a linear air pump does a great job to aerate a dozen or more cultures on a single, more reliable pump.

I've used Algagen and Carolina as sources for some of my plankton, but it seems tough to find a single supplier with a selection of most species one may be looking for - Reed Mariculture seems to have quite a few, but I don't know if they bother making the catalog available to a smaller-scale hobbyist, at least, they don't seem to be advertising prices or availability outside of Reef Nutrition.

5 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

If the disorder continues to worsen, a linear air pump does a great job to aerate a dozen or more cultures on a single, more reliable pump.

I've used Algagen and Carolina as sources for some of my plankton, but it seems tough to find a single supplier with a selection of most species one may be looking for - Reed Mariculture seems to have quite a few, but I don't know if they bother making the catalog available to a smaller-scale hobbyist, at least, they don't seem to be advertising prices or availability outside of Reef Nutrition.

Thanks. I was going to do the one pump for the phyto but someone told me that they could contaminate each other through the hose that's why I separated them. 

I did look carolina but didn't make the plunge on their disk. Might have to hit them up if I can't find any locally. 

They can be contaminated together if it gets into the pump, but the positive pressure of the air should prevent cross contamination from one culture to another.

I actually ran into the former with my current setup, I had a cloth baffle near the inlet that with time and humidity grew some kind of mold and started infecting cultures (though not really all at once), but when I tracked it down, a bit of isopropyl alcohol was all that was really needed to clean it up again.

You can also get inline filters to keep contaminants out, and while it certainly helps, they have to be changed regularly and tend to be a few bucks each - not worth it in my setup so far.

• 3 weeks later...

We had our first big show yesterday at Philly Plash!
It was fun but also extremely exhausting. I don't know how some of these vendors do it across country and such a HUGE set up.

I really wanted to use the lights that I have for the show (Radion Gen5) but the height of arms are too short that it prevents a good view of the frag tanks. Thanks to a local vendor (RVA) who advised me to look at using the Kessil arms and make holes on the hanging piece. It actually look pretty good!

1662920464872.png

Here on our two tanks:

1662920527255.png

To the positive!
I was able to meet a lot of online folks at the show. Finally put some faces to people!
Got a chance to talk to other smaller vendors in the area (a lot of the bigger ones are at MACNA). Kevin from Exotic Reef Aquatic was across from us and made a great friend. I grab a Godzilla bounce and a TCK Master torch from him and can't wait to see that bounce grow!!! Had to man his booth several times since he's so busy chatting up with people all over the room.  Was about to sell all his stuff for $5.

1662918810617-png.78326

1662918823873.png

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

35 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

We had our first big show yesterday at Philly Plash!
It was fun but also extremely exhausting. I don't know how some of these vendors do it across country and such a HUGE set up.

I really wanted to use the lights that I have for the show (Radion Gen5) but the height of arms are too short that it prevents a good view of the frag tanks. Thanks to a local vendor (RVA) who advised me to look at using the Kessil arms and make holes on the hanging piece. It actually look pretty good!

1662920464872.png

Here on our two tanks:

1662920527255.png

To the positive!
I was able to meet a lot of online folks at the show. Finally put some faces to people!
Got a chance to talk to other smaller vendors in the area (a lot of the bigger ones are at MACNA). Kevin from Exotic Reef Aquatic was across from us and made a great friend. I grab a Godzilla bounce and a TCK Master torch from him and can't wait to see that bounce grow!!! Had to man his booth several times since he's so busy chatting up with people all over the room.  Was about to sell all his stuff for $5.

1662918810617-png.78326

1662918823873.png

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

both look ?

• 3 months later...

Recently we replaced the Red Sea and a small frag tank on the left hand side of section. When I brought the Red Sea tank over, I decided to take off the back to access the plumbing and have it go into a central sump for the rest of the shed. What I didn't realize was how much the back piece was providing support for the stand.... it's just a plastic piece :lol:

It caused the stand to have a lot more movement and the weight was making me worried so we ended up ordering a frag tank (96x24x12) from Aquarium and Terrarium Builder.  @husbwifereefer picked up his tank and offered to bring me back mine so it worked out perfectly! 

The tank at the shop:

It has

4 x 3/4" return

4 x 1" drain

Total cost was $1800

May be an image of indoorMay be an image of indoor

It arrived on 12/17/2022 and we got to working 12/31/2022. 

My neighbor took the Red Sea tank and @SemperFiSeaCoral the small frag tank so I didn't have to worry about storing them yay!!! 

It took us one day to fish out all the fish and corals, empty the tanks and down the street it goes! 

May be an image of 2 people, indoor and text that says 'DESIGNS 1'

May be an image of indoor

May be an image of 2 people, car and road

Frag tank went in it's place and plumbing the next day!

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

(not in pic but we did add ball valves to each of the return)

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

May be an image of indoor

The move was a success!!! Have a few leaks but nothing plumber's puddy wouldn't solve :facepalm1:

On 1/7/2023 at 10:47 AM, flooddc said:

Frag tank looking great!

On 1/7/2023 at 12:51 PM, YHSublime said:

Looking good!

20 hours ago, Origami said:

Reefer gone wild! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Was a wild 2022. 

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I updated. Things are chugging a long.

Decided to redo the coral QT to a stackable system to gain a little bit more space in the shed!

Cleaned up the small area and tank obtained!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.ee5c5c2b881444a94b675d7aa23855dd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.06eb1d5120dee5484dfd51004eaf0183.jpeg

No description available.

Looking to build something similar to another vendor local to us NextWaveCorals:
No description available.

2 minutes ago, DarStar301 said:

I bought the other seapora frag tank that was on top of the low boy from HOT. Cant wait to see the update and visit your shop.

hey! such a coincidence! 

It's all looking very nice. Almost inspires me to clean my tank up a bit! 

9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

It's all looking very nice. Almost inspires me to clean my tank up a bit! 

I doubt that, your stuff is always neat and clean. 

My husband just finished up the stand. We need to get some plywood to support the bottom but the tanks seem to fit well. Eshopp overflow arrived today so we are hoping to drill and get the plumbing done this weekend!

image.thumb.jpeg.fff71e3bf9c76ae7328a091cd516ec77.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.39d42f9147ad06cf766afff357a73a98.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac8a87eeae93f8a18bc11b15c1073359.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4736e33c8d6a3ce33cade490d3c404b4.jpeg

7 hours ago, JJKK said:

Very Nice.  How much water volume will be in the shack?

The new QT is more of a swap so I'm only increasing the volume by 20 gal or so. Swapping the 50 gal rubbermaid and a 30 gal frag tank for two lowboy :)