Lynn's Fish Room

Hey, a premature congratulations, the time is right and the market is all wrong, lol!

When we moved I thought the dogs were going to love having all the additional space. Funnily enough they are just ALWAYS right by us. I also thought I was going to do a big build as well, but turns out that wasn't in the cards for me, I'm glad I can vicariously live through yours! 

Some things I wish I did when I was in a similar phase AKA unsolicited advise: 

- Built my rock structures/scape prior to curing/seeding. The challenges and limitations of working with cured rock vs dry are monumental IMO. Also it's a beautiful thing to not have to worry about a cycle when you do get there! 

- Kept a dedicated QT tank. I lost a lot of beautiful fish.

- Keep as much equipment dedicated to one system plumbed together as possible. Looks like you're already doing that, but I had multiple sumps, ATO's, different lights, it felt like having 3 tanks vs 1 big one.

Please keep us updated on your journey! Do you know what/how big you're going?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Hey, a premature congratulations, the time is right and the market is all wrong, lol!

When we moved I thought the dogs were going to love having all the additional space. Funnily enough they are just ALWAYS right by us. I also thought I was going to do a big build as well, but turns out that wasn't in the cards for me, I'm glad I can vicariously live through yours! 

Some things I wish I did when I was in a similar phase AKA unsolicited advise: 

- Built my rock structures/scape prior to curing/seeding. The challenges and limitations of working with cured rock vs dry are monumental IMO. Also it's a beautiful thing to not have to worry about a cycle when you do get there! 

- Kept a dedicated QT tank. I lost a lot of beautiful fish.

- Keep as much equipment dedicated to one system plumbed together as possible. Looks like you're already doing that, but I had multiple sumps, ATO's, different lights, it felt like having 3 tanks vs 1 big one.

Please keep us updated on your journey! Do you know what/how big you're going?

Thank you!

I haven't thought too much about the size yet, I guess it all depends on the layout of the new home! 

For now, I think I will keep my 120 gal as the display and possibly get a bunch of smaller tanks (hoarding tanks). 

The hope is the keep it all in one system. The current house did not allow for that and the maintenance is such a pain! 

Thank you for the advice! will def keep that in mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

Plans constantly change :hammer:

Our initial plan to get the home from a co-worker fell though. They wanted more money than they initial offered to us so we decided to go back to the drawing board a couple of weeks ago. 

To our delight, we did find a home that I fell in love with at first sight. The bid went through and we are just waiting on the paperwork and appraisal. :bb:

Closing at the end of the month so things are moving way faster than I initially planned. 

I don't think we will have a lot of time to build stands and the temp tanks will be VERY temporary (max 1 months), I decided to just order tables and hold them up in the meantime in the current basement. 

This will give us time to repair any wall damage in the fish room and repaint. 

image.png.d60356380b89a55da9fcf7a6e29c60ee.png

According to the manufacturer, this can hold up to 100lbs so a 50gal tubberware container should be ok. I will have to reinforce the center just in case. 

Unfortunately, the new home does not have the space for the fish room so we plan to build a decent size she-shed for me. So the planning for that will begin :) 

A bit stress... but things will be ok right? 

6 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Plans constantly change :hammer:

Our initial plan to get the home from a co-worker fell though. They wanted more money than they initial offered to us so we decided to go back to the drawing board a couple of weeks ago. 

To our delight, we did find a home that I fell in love with at first sight. The bid went through and we are just waiting on the paperwork and appraisal. :bb:

Closing at the end of the month so things are moving way faster than I initially planned. 

I don't think we will have a lot of time to build stands and the temp tanks will be VERY temporary (max 1 months), I decided to just order tables and hold them up in the meantime in the current basement. 

This will give us time to repair any wall damage in the fish room and repaint. 

image.png.d60356380b89a55da9fcf7a6e29c60ee.png

According to the manufacturer, this can hold up to 100lbs so a 50gal tubberware container should be ok. I will have to reinforce the center just in case. 

Unfortunately, the new home does not have the space for the fish room so we plan to build a decent size she-shed for me. So the planning for that will begin :) 

A bit stress... but things will be ok right? 

50 gallons of water weighs way more then 100 pounds. 

I would not put a 50 gallon rubbermaid on a table. 

why not do a 100 or 150 horse trough from tractor supply and just set it on the floor. 

6 minutes ago, epleeds said:

50 gallons of water weighs way more then 100 pounds. 

I would not put a 50 gallon rubbermaid on a table. 

why not do a 100 or 150 horse trough from tractor supply and just set it on the floor. 

Sorry, I put the wrong #. It's rated for 1000lbs. NOT 100lbs. 

I need to do multiple because of the shape of my basement. It has pillars and awkward.  I also currently have multiple tanks and some of the fish won't get a long if I try to put them all in the same tank. 

Not sure how well they work, but an option for super cheap, flexible temporary stands could be sawhorses and a good sized wooden cross beams or even cinderblocks stacked.  Either would be inexpensive, very flexible in terms of setup, and could hold a good bit of weight.

I would assume there's a good bit of flex in the tables near rated weight, but I guess this isn't so much of a problem with plastic tubs.

24 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

Not sure how well they work, but an option for super cheap, flexible temporary stands could be sawhorses and a good sized wooden cross beams or even cinderblocks stacked.  Either would be inexpensive, very flexible in terms of setup, and could hold a good bit of weight.

I would assume there's a good bit of flex in the tables near rated weight, but I guess this isn't so much of a problem with plastic tubs.

oh!!! I completely forgot of the cinderblock options!!! Good call. Thanks. 

Can always re-use them for a fire pit or something later. Dang ... now i need to return these tables ;)

You can reuse them for a pig roast at your new place in the spring/summer!

1 hour ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

;) Reefing meeting!!! 

Heck yeah! Let’s go!

• 2 weeks later...

Any utility in putting cheap ball valves on the 3 pipes to have better control of the input flow from the pump? Water will flow to the least resistance before diverting. Do you find that the center tank has more flow from the pump?

I'm presuming the ATO switch is going in the sump? Curious to the evaporation rate on 4 stock tubs vs a tank/sump setup. 

2 hours ago, monkiboy said:

thank you for sharing - looking forward to updates!

Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Any utility in putting cheap ball valves on the 3 pipes to have better control of the input flow from the pump? Water will flow to the least resistance before diverting. Do you find that the center tank has more flow from the pump?

I was getting a lot more flow to the center. For me to increase the flow to the other two without overflowing the center tank, I have to get ball valves to evenly distribute the rate. I only have a 1" bulk heads on the tank and no secondary. 

The return pump was a jebao 20000 and running at the lowest rate (30%). I was able to increase it to 50% with the ball valves. 

22 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I'm presuming the ATO switch is going in the sump? Curious to the evaporation rate on 4 stock tubs vs a tank/sump setup. 

Yes, I have the ATO in the sump. With temperature at around 77 degrees, i'm going through 4 gal or so daily. 

Looking good! you're temporary setup looks very well designed. Moving is always stressful, trust me! But the corals don't seem to care as long as you give them heat, waterflow and light... maybe a little less light to avoid overly stressing. Following along. 

On 1/29/2022 at 8:35 AM, nburg said:

Looking good! you're temporary setup looks very well designed. Moving is always stressful, trust me! But the corals don't seem to care as long as you give them heat, waterflow and light... maybe a little less light to avoid overly stressing. Following along. 

:wub:

The house hunt and endless paperwork submission to the underwriter (they are the bane of my existence every time we get a home loan). We are going to the DIRTY DENA. For those who needs more information: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dirty Dena

After fighting with the husband on who gets to take over the garage, I won :biggrin: . 

A lot of work to come but I'm excited to make this the new "fish shed". 

If you are curious to the random stuff (hand ... adult books) in the place, apparently the old owner used to be a stripper :lol2:

This home definitely has a lot of history to it. 

For the next month, I would like to:
- Insulate

- Drywall

- Paint

- Remove old tiles, finish floor

- Update electrical

- Add ductless mini-split

- Add security cameras (I am in the dirty-dena ... ) 

Congrats on the new house and lol about the former occupants and urban dictionary reference.  You should lean into it for the fishroom decor...  

13 hours ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

We are going to the DIRTY DENA. For those who needs more information: 

is that like “island boy”

On 2/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, roni said:

Congrats on the new house and lol about the former occupants and urban dictionary reference.  You should lean into it for the fishroom decor...  

Thanks. LOL ... i'm afraid to touch the items. About to glove up and toss everything :biggrin:

13 hours ago, YHSublime said:

is that like “island boy”

hm... never heard of 'island boy'.... will google 

10 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Thanks. LOL ... i'm afraid to touch the items. About to glove up and toss everything :biggrin:

hm... never heard of 'island boy'.... will google 

• 2 weeks later...

The Fish Shed is coming a long.
I ended up using Fiberglass insulation and green drywall.
Still need to install the waterproof vinyl and paint the walls. The ductless minisplit will have to wait until the electrical issue is fix .

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk